Best Pellets for Auto Feeder that Actually Sink?

splix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using my apex auto feeder for a couple years now on my old tank which was larger, so I had a lot more aggressive fish. Now that I've downsized I just found a small issue with feeding while I'm away. When the AFS drops food, most of it stays on the surface without actually sinking. I'm using the 1mm sinking pellets from NLS. They do sink if they're able to break the surface tension but thats not the case coming from the AFS. They're too light weight to break the surface tension and just float. It wasnt a problem before because I had such aggressive eaters, they would gobble everything up in a few seconds from the surface. Now though, most pellets stay floating on the surface and will eventually go down the overflow.

What are some good foods to put in the auto feeder that will actually sink below the surface so I dont have to worry about 95% of it going down the back?
I have my pumps shut off during the feed cycle so that the overflow has no suction for a few minutes to help keep food out from going behind. As long as the food sinks below the surface it'll be fine.

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using my apex auto feeder for a couple years now on my old tank which was larger, so I had a lot more aggressive fish. Now that I've downsized I just found a small issue with feeding while I'm away. When the AFS drops food, most of it stays on the surface without actually sinking. I'm using the 1mm sinking pellets from NLS. They do sink if they're able to break the surface tension but thats not the case coming from the AFS. They're too light weight to break the surface tension and just float. It wasnt a problem before because I had such aggressive eaters, they would gobble everything up in a few seconds from the surface. Now though, most pellets stay floating on the surface and will eventually go down the overflow.

What are some good foods to put in the auto feeder that will actually sink below the surface so I dont have to worry about 95% of it going down the back?
I have my pumps shut off during the feed cycle so that the overflow has no suction for a few minutes to help keep food out from going behind. As long as the food sinks below the surface it'll be fine.

I have the Eheim one and use the feeder station platform that delivers the pellets under water. Could you use that with the Apex feeder? It should work if you can set the Apex unit right on it.

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
splix

splix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Eheim one and use the feeder station platform that delivers the pellets under water. Could you use that with the Apex feeder? It should work if you can set the Apex unit right on it.

I thought about something like that, but with the screen top I cant really fit it. Maybe I can figure out some type of larger feeding ring.
hLEIQqCl.jpg

gioNVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
although a feeding ring would be best, I've found that the Hikari Marine S pellets work best for me in this scenario. Plus it's good pellet food and all my fish love it.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should try our TDO Chroma BOOST Small. It sinks and we have a number of customers that use it in auto-feeders. Since the food is in granulated form, it comes in a range of sizes in the package. The size range is 0.8mm – 1.4mm, so it's applicable for many reef fish. LPS corals will also consume it. Check out this aussie Scolymia eating it. The video is sped up.

We are running free shipping on it right now. Check out some results of fish fed on this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/clownfish-tdo-amazing-wild-type-coloration.342461/

Fill out our brief survey and you will get a free shipping promo code: http://apbreed.com/promo/tdo/ Here is the website for more information: http://apbreed.com/product_tdo_chroma_boost.php.

If you like it, you can request that your LFS carry it, especially if they carry our products.

Regards,
Chad & Team Reef Nutrition

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the 1mm sinking pellets from NLS.

You have the ones like this that say "sinking" ? (They do have other types; not all are sinking.)
new-life-spectrum-marine-formula.png

If that's what you have already, and you can't implement something like the Eheim FeedingStation, then I'd have to suggest trying an alternative like the ones suggested by @Reef Nutrition and @gioNVA.

OP
OP
splix

splix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have the ones like this that say "sinking" ? (They do have other types; not all are sinking.)
new-life-spectrum-marine-formula.png

If that's what you have already, and you can't implement something like the Eheim FeedingStation, then I'd have to suggest trying an alternative like the ones suggested by @Reef Nutrition and @gioNVA.

Yes, they are labeled sinking. Not to fault NLS, they do actually sink once submerged. They're just not heavy enough to break the surface tension haha. If I go with a larger heavier pellet, they'll be too large for the fish so I cant go that way.
I'll keep tinkering. :)

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a tee on my return pump intake and mounted my AFS at the top. Food drops, goes through my returns and gets rapidly dispersed throughout my tank without going down my drains. When I had my AFS over my tank, the pellets would go down the overflow within about 2-3 seconds of dispensing.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a feeding ring to avoid this issue. But I found ocean nutrition pellets to sink the quickest.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
although a feeding ring would be best, I've found that the Hikari Marine S pellets work best for me in this scenario. Plus it's good pellet food and all my fish love it.

+1 - with the feeder station to make sure they go into the water column. They don't sink TOO fast though, which is nice.

radar_17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a tee on my return pump intake and mounted my AFS at the top. Food drops, goes through my returns and gets rapidly dispersed throughout my tank without going down my drains. When I had my AFS over my tank, the pellets would go down the overflow within about 2-3 seconds of dispensing.
I just have the auto feeder dumping the hikari pellets directly over my return pump in my sump (no "T"). There's enough current in the return-pump compartment that the pump quickly sucks the pellets up and shoots them into the tank. The fish seem to know when it's coming (4 times a day) because a minute or two before it happens they start gathering at the return nozzles.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have the auto feeder dumping the hikari pellets directly over my return pump in my sump (no "T"). There's enough current in the return-pump compartment that the pump quickly sucks the pellets up and shoots them into the tank. The fish seem to know when it's coming (4 times a day) because a minute or two before it happens they start gathering at the return nozzles.

Mine is in my basement. While noise surely transmits through the water column, I've always suspected that the scent of the food makes it to the tank before any visible particles.

ntayler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth, I have not been able to the the smallest NLS “sinking” to sink. Which is strange because a couple years ago I had no problem with it sinking easily. Even soaking with selcon or vitachem, and depositing under water half of it still comes to the surface (i feed with return off so it’s not a problem). I will be looking into some other brands to use with the auto feeder when vacation time comes around

MJNTWise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip...Never thought of this....going to move mine to the sump....Plus you dont have to look at it either.... Thanks!!!!!

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I use my auto Apex feeder when I am working I use Omega One marine pellets small they sink and fish seem to like them, They do have garlic I am not a huge fan of garlic in fish food gives them bad breath

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back