Best place for clam purchase

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to buy a clam for my tank and I am trying to decide the best place. My LFS doesn't ever have any and the only other store I know of is 2 hours away. Is there anywhere online that ships good clams. I know live aquaria does but they are so tiny and everything I've read suggests really small clams are hard to keep alive. Anyhow, suggestions? Thanks

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I opened this thread to recommend Pacific East Aquaculture, as you can see they have satisfied customers :)

U

User1

View Badges
Pacific East Aquaculture is the place to go.

Ok, let me say this first. I'm biased. Over the last couple of months I've been talking, and reading, and watching their videos. I ordered some frags during a special they had. Everything was great. My daughter bought me a shirt. I loved it. Dr. Mac posted some clams and I thought they looked cool. I posted a question and asked about caring for them and how to handle them.

Not more than a couple hours later he took the time to make a video and walked through the process of how they handle them at their shop. What to look for. How to handle, etc. I mean really? That was just dang cool. Other random videos of their farm, inside store, aquariums, etc. Never any pressure to buy.

Along comes a post with 20 clams of larger sizes. 3.5 to 4" maximas for sale. I say wow - maybe I'm ready. I replied and said I like 1, 2, and maybe it was 12. He said yup - those are cool but 20 really has some amazing color. I take a quick look, asked if he could hold it so I could confirm I would buy, they did, and I picked it up.

So yeah - I'm biased because I've been really happy with them as a small business owner and honestly in how they handle their products. And the corals I've purchased, the clam, and again next week a yellow assessor and peppermint shrimp and 1 more frag, always arrives in tip top shape. Also interesting enough they insure their shipments...

I don't buy a lot of stuff and I try to stay under 20 dollars a frag. So the clam purchase was a bit out of my comfort zone but my tank was ready for one. If you do choose to buy from them maybe pick one, they have a sale now. If not sure or want to ask a question about them do it. Hopefully will ease your mind.

So yeah - I'm biased but just being honest. I've had very good success and most every coral I have is from them outside a few from LA/DD.

Edit: Just re-read this and noticed I said I'm biased like a zillion times. I think you got it :) I'll tone it down next time and try to do a TL;DR :) Have a good weekend all.

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty and low cost...but very small? Anyone had any good growth with one?

U

User1

View Badges
They just had an amazing sale a few weeks back now, maybe a month, in which case they had 20 clams each anywhere from 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 in size. I snagged one and it is amazing. They just had a sale going on also with clams. Check their sub forum here since I think it was recent and again photos with numbers. Just reply to thread, ask about the number, and Bob's your Uncle.

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy arrived today from PEA. Stunning and happy as a clam can be!
F526BFBF-2141-4E01-A653-D753E732524B.png
12CE7FD4-3E61-4CA9-AED4-412EB53B003D.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back