Best place online for fish/inverts & What to get

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Mini Coop, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Mini Coop

Mini Coop Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I just figured goby's and cardinals would be a good start for the new fish for the tank.

The other I could get with the cardinals would be the wrasses - mccosker and carpenter, but I don't want too many in QT at the same time.
    This is the fun part!! :)

Brew12 likes this.

2. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member 2019 North Alabama Reef Club

Yes, yes it is!

3. S.O.MLemos

S.O.MLemos Active Member

Other than damsels I think cardinals are the hardiest fish for new tanks but it looks like you know as much as I do if not more so I’m sure whatever you do will be fine. Firefish/dartfish are also pretty hardy from my experience and fairly cheap unless you want a helfrichi(which are gorgeous) and I think they look a lot better than cardinals and at least have a little personality/movement unlike boring cardinals(I have one cardinal just because it was free)

Mini Coop likes this.
  4. Mini Coop

Mini Coop Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Haha - I like Cardinals. I think they are just cool! And I got a bonded pair! :) I plan on getting a purple firefish soon as well.

5. S.O.MLemos

S.O.MLemos Active Member

I’ve had my purple for 2 years now and it’s as pretty as the day I got it

6. S.O.MLemos

S.O.MLemos Active Member

I seen my friends cardinals breed and that was pretty cool with the whole babies in mouth thing

7. sundog101

sundog101 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Last week my DD order came in with 58 degree water. If you have a QT set up, keep in mind that you may to drop the temperature to acclimate them.

8. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member 2019 North Alabama Reef Club

:eek::eek::eek:

Did everything make it?

9. sundog101

I had 2 blennies and they survived. Really couldn’t believe it! It’s been 6 days now.

Maritimer and Brew12 like this.
  10. Myk

Myk Aquatic Creations www.ReefDelivery.com Platinum Sponsor

Shipping this time of year is brutal! Watch the local weather and along the path of travel of your shipment for temperatures especially overnight. Also, if you are using fedex/ups or the like, see if they will hold it at the receiving facility instead of putting it on the truck and pick it up yourself as soon as it arrives. Usually a half hour or so after the plane lands.

Or support your local LFS (I am biased:), LOL!) if you have a good one near you.

11. sundog101

^ Ya probably not the best time to ship a fish when it’s 5 degrees out.

12. Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club Partner Member 2019

Yea, I would not be having any fish shipped in this cold weather. I would feel horrible if there was a delay that caused their death.

13. Talisman

Talisman Member

I bought a very small CUC at my LFS and put them in my QT. There are so many unfriendly hitchhikers that I don't even know what to do. Worms on the shells, hydroids, bristleworms, asterina starfish.

I see several recommendations for reef cleaners. Is their livestock usually pest free?

14. Brew12

I've never had an issue with their snails and/or hermit crabs. I have found asterina starfish and bristleworms in the chaeto before. I removed the starfish but left the bristleworms.

Talisman likes this.
  15. mcarroll

mcarroll moved on R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Just to throw it out there it’s best to wait for the LFS.

This is the worst time of year to be shipping fish around – any delay is likely to cause fatalities – and that may be why your LFS is not doing it. Experience.

If you do go through with it, remember these are not going to be like fish you would bring home from the LFS. They are going to be super stressed almost just like when the LFS gets them from their supplier. So be prepared. And good luck. :)

(I’d even suggest looking up some of the oddball things that can happen with new shipments so that you are prepared for the weird stuff too.)

Brew12 likes this.
  16. smcquary

smcquary Active Member MTRCMember

17. PatW

PatW Well-Known Member

I had a hairy blenny. She was a great fish. She had a huge belly. It looked as if she could barely swim. But she had no problem getting more than her share. She was by far the smartest fish in the tank. She was very tame. The problem was she nipped corals and killed anemones.

For cardinals, I really like Bengai cardinals. They are slow moving, sedate, and dignified. But when food gets into the tank, it all changes. They are great fish.

18. Brad Vaughn

Brad Vaughn Active Member

Cuc- Reeftopia and Salty Bottom Reef
    +1 for Live Aquaria. Great customer service

19. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Where did you find this guy? He's cool!

20. Highgrade

Highgrade Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Picked him up some time ago from Brian at Reefwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted