OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just figured goby's and cardinals would be a good start for the new fish for the tank.

The other I could get with the cardinals would be the wrasses - mccosker and carpenter, but I don't want too many in QT at the same time.
This is the fun part!! :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just figured goby's and cardinals would be a good start for the new fish for the tank.

The other I could get with the cardinals would be the wrasses - mccosker and carpenter, but I don't want too many in QT at the same time.
This is the fun part!! :)
Yes, yes it is!

S.O.MLemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than damsels I think cardinals are the hardiest fish for new tanks but it looks like you know as much as I do if not more so I’m sure whatever you do will be fine. Firefish/dartfish are also pretty hardy from my experience and fairly cheap unless you want a helfrichi(which are gorgeous) and I think they look a lot better than cardinals and at least have a little personality/movement unlike boring cardinals(I have one cardinal just because it was free)

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than damsels I think cardinals are the hardiest fish for new tanks but it looks like you know as much as I do if not more so I’m sure whatever you do will be fine. Firefish/dartfish are also pretty hardy from my experience and fairly cheap unless you want a helfrichi(which are gorgeous) and I think they look a lot better than cardinals and at least have a little personality/movement unlike boring cardinals(I have one cardinal just because it was free)

Haha - I like Cardinals. I think they are just cool! And I got a bonded pair! :) I plan on getting a purple firefish soon as well.

S.O.MLemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my purple for 2 years now and it’s as pretty as the day I got it

S.O.MLemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen my friends cardinals breed and that was pretty cool with the whole babies in mouth thing

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week my DD order came in with 58 degree water. If you have a QT set up, keep in mind that you may to drop the temperature to acclimate them.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week my DD order came in with 58 degree water. If you have a QT set up, keep in mind that you may to drop the temperature to acclimate them.
:eek::eek::eek:

Did everything make it?

Myk

Aquatic Creations www.ReefDelivery.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping this time of year is brutal! Watch the local weather and along the path of travel of your shipment for temperatures especially overnight. Also, if you are using fedex/ups or the like, see if they will hold it at the receiving facility instead of putting it on the truck and pick it up yourself as soon as it arrives. Usually a half hour or so after the plane lands.

Or support your local LFS (I am biased:), LOL!) if you have a good one near you.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I would not be having any fish shipped in this cold weather. I would feel horrible if there was a delay that caused their death.

Talisman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a very small CUC at my LFS and put them in my QT. There are so many unfriendly hitchhikers that I don't even know what to do. Worms on the shells, hydroids, bristleworms, asterina starfish.

I see several recommendations for reef cleaners. Is their livestock usually pest free?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a very small CUC at my LFS and put them in my QT. There are so many unfriendly hitchhikers that I don't even know what to do. Worms on the shells, hydroids, bristleworms, asterina starfish.

I see several recommendations for reef cleaners. Is their livestock usually pest free?
I've never had an issue with their snails and/or hermit crabs. I have found asterina starfish and bristleworms in the chaeto before. I removed the starfish but left the bristleworms.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to throw it out there it’s best to wait for the LFS.

This is the worst time of year to be shipping fish around – any delay is likely to cause fatalities – and that may be why your LFS is not doing it. Experience.

If you do go through with it, remember these are not going to be like fish you would bring home from the LFS. They are going to be super stressed almost just like when the LFS gets them from their supplier. So be prepared. And good luck. :)

(I’d even suggest looking up some of the oddball things that can happen with new shipments so that you are prepared for the weird stuff too.)

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hairy blenny. She was a great fish. She had a huge belly. It looked as if she could barely swim. But she had no problem getting more than her share. She was by far the smartest fish in the tank. She was very tame. The problem was she nipped corals and killed anemones.

For cardinals, I really like Bengai cardinals. They are slow moving, sedate, and dignified. But when food gets into the tank, it all changes. They are great fish.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
B2A652A4-B650-432B-B521-6F93FB8AED72.jpeg

I’ve had several Blennies and Gobies. My Favorite is this guy. Ember Blenny- he’s a big jerk to any fish no matter the size. He bites my hand any time I put it in the tank. Most blennies are pretty bold towards any other fish. Well except my tail spot blenny which is a big baby.
Where did you find this guy? He's cool!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back