Best place to buy low-cost scolymia?

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I’m Looking to purchase some low priced scoly’s. I’ve seen some about the size of a quarter sell for $50, and bought one. I had intentions to buy another, but now the seller won’t get back to me. Any other suggestions?

Dysto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, as a heads up, if you got one for $50, its probably a button scoly. While button scolys are very similar in terms of care and requirements, they will stay much smaller than a regular scoly. The largest they've been seen in the wild is about the size of an US quarter, and the largest one ive heard of was 3 inches across, while australian scolymias can get to twice that size easily

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, as a heads up, if you got one for $50, its probably a button scoly. While button scolys are very similar in terms of care and requirements, they will stay much smaller than a regular scoly. The largest they've been seen in the wild is about the size of an US quarter, and the largest one ive heard of was 3 inches across, while australian scolymias can get to twice that size easily
I’d be happy with one of those too! :)
I’ve been looking around, and have found some for $20 more on AquaSD. I may go with those.

Dysto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest visible difference I've found is on the rims of the scoly. Button scolys have robust ridges along their rim, while australian scolys have a much smoother rim.
On the left we've got an ultra button scoly from aquaSD, and those orange stripes along the rim of the scoly mark the raised ridges in the scolys flesh. On the right, we have a bleeding apple scoly, also from aquaSD, and the texture is visibly smoother along the rim. In addition, when you buy a button scoly, its probably going to between 3/4"-1" in size, whereas i dont think i've seen an australin scoly for sale under 2"
1600630288579.png

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest visible difference I've found is on the rims of the scoly. Button scolys have robust ridges along their rim, while australian scolys have a much smoother rim.
On the left we've got an ultra button scoly from aquaSD, and those orange stripes along the rim of the scoly mark the raised ridges in the scolys flesh. On the right, we have a bleeding apple scoly, also from aquaSD, and the texture is visibly smoother along the rim. In addition, when you buy a button scoly, its probably going to between 3/4"-1" in size, whereas i dont think i've seen an australin scoly for sale under 2"
1600630288579.png
That’s an awesome explanation, thank you. I’m looking for button scoly’s since I’m putting them in front of my RFA rock. Here’s my first one :)

5BCF5CB1-B357-41D4-8037-4509026E09A9.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back