Best protein skimmer for a 150 gallon peninsula

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I plan on setting up a 150-gallon peninsula tank. I will most probably have 3-4 tangs and some other fish (the bioload may b a little on the heavier side). So, what would be the best protein skimmer which is actually worth the price and will give me the best bang for the buck? I will have filter socks and a protein skimmer at the beginning and the refugium section will have bio media. I am not sure if I will add macro algae, but in the beginning, I will have filter socks, a protein skimmer, bio media, a return pump, and a chiller. I want the protein skimmer to be efficient and something that will last for a while. I want to spend 200-300 dollars on it but a max of 400 dollars if it is really that good. Please let me know, thank you!

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Best" and "under $400" are mutually exclusive. The best skimmer is going to run you closer to $800, but as this goes over your budget...
Hey, it doesn't have to be the best skimmer out there, but I just want something that will get the job done at that price range and wont just stop working after a year or two.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I you have the space, a reef octo 150 or 200 classic INT should work great. Old school needle wheel skimmers that are set it and forget it. I run numerous ones on my tanks and some are very old with no issues. I have had to replace a pump or 2 over the years, but that happens when you let macro clog them up and then run clogged up for a month lol. All on me there and not the skimmer.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back