Protein skimmer for 20g Nano.

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious about if I need my protein skimmer for my 20g IM Nano. I have a media filter and a filter sock on the tank, wondering if having a skimmer also is overkill? Would it make my tank too clean? Would I be better just running my media and sock?

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see from your thread history your tank is new. You don't need a skimmer now. You may consider adding one later, in like 6-8 months. I think answering what you want the skimmer to do will help you decide. Do you need to reduce proteins and film from the water surface? Reduce nutrients due to bioload? Increase oxygenation and pH? Will you dose bacteria like NP BactoBalance?

I ran the Icecap K1 Nano when I had my IM20. I recently purchased the Bubble Magus MiniQ which would fit into the second chamber nicely.

Shroom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious about if I need my protein skimmer for my 20g IM Nano. I have a media filter and a filter sock on the tank, wondering if having a skimmer also is overkill? Would it make my tank too clean? Would I be better just running my media and sock?
I’ve tried like 3 nano skimmers for the IM desktops. I’m running the eshopps now. It started off good but doesn’t skim any more and stopped skimming after 1 year. I have never seen a nano skimmer I like! I don’t believe they are worth your $120

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.1%
Back