Best (Quietest) Skimmer under $500?

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like your Red Sea you could always upgrade it to a DC. I just upgraded mine I definitely like the control ability of it now! If you run a scrubber through them like I did with my AC I couldn’t even hear it. It’s a giant silencer.

RobR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running Deltec 1000i for 4 years now and I love it! Very quiet and small foot print. I have it on a 200gal system and is able to keep up.
Here’s the deal, how many adjustable combinations do the other skimmers have? Too many!! Too much air, not too much air, is the dc pump too fast, or too slow, is the water in the skimmer to high or too low? Deltec has kept it stupid simple! They tell you the dc pump speed on the pump when broken in. It’s level 7 for the 1000i. Then they mark on the side where to keep the water in the skimmer. That’s it! I keep the water level at the lowest setting for dry skim and it pulls black as tar, not tea green.
Only negative is that you have to clean it since the water leave the skimmer through the base plate. Will get a little gunky down there, but take a couple of minutes to clean and put back together.

Bobbyg.mccray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble
Hi there,

Looking for recommendations on the quietest, yet still powerful protein skimmers for under $500. In my research the top contenders I'm seeing are the Deltec 600i+ and the Nyos Quantum 160. I'm using these in what I consider a heavily stocked 60g Peninsula(9-10 fish with frequent feedings).

I currently have a Red Sea RSK 300, it's definitely an older model as I bought it used from my LFS. Unfortunately, it's a lot louder than I'd like to deal with. I love the features on this such as the easy cleaning cup and the tube for expelling the water is fantastic but at this point, I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of ease for the sake of noise.

Does anyone have thoughts on the Nyos or Deltec? Which is best? Is there something even better out there within $500?

Please let me k

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back