Best (Quietest) Skimmer under $500?

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Looking for recommendations on the quietest, yet still powerful protein skimmers for under $500. In my research the top contenders I'm seeing are the Deltec 600i+ and the Nyos Quantum 160. I'm using these in what I consider a heavily stocked 60g Peninsula(9-10 fish with frequent feedings).

I currently have a Red Sea RSK 300, it's definitely an older model as I bought it used from my LFS. Unfortunately, it's a lot louder than I'd like to deal with. I love the features on this such as the easy cleaning cup and the tube for expelling the water is fantastic but at this point, I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of ease for the sake of noise.

Does anyone have thoughts on the Nyos or Deltec? Which is best? Is there something even better out there within $500?

Please let me know!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Looking for recommendations on the quietest, yet still powerful protein skimmers for under $500. In my research the top contenders I'm seeing are the Deltec 600i+ and the Nyos Quantum 160. I'm using these in what I consider a heavily stocked 60g Peninsula(9-10 fish with frequent feedings).

I currently have a Red Sea RSK 300, it's definitely an older model as I bought it used from my LFS. Unfortunately, it's a lot louder than I'd like to deal with. I love the features on this such as the easy cleaning cup and the tube for expelling the water is fantastic but at this point, I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of ease for the sake of noise.

Does anyone have thoughts on the Nyos or Deltec? Which is best? Is there something even better out there within $500?

Please let me know!
Between the two, I would go with the Deltec! Absolute work horse and very silent. At least, so was the 400i+ that i had!

I have a Reef Octopus Regal 150 SS now. They're $549 in the US i think- also very, very quiet!

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between the two, I would go with the Deltec! Absolute work horse and very silent. At least, so was the 400i+ that i had!

I have a Reef Octopus Regal 150 SS now. They're $549 in the US i think- also very, very quiet!
I was also looking at the Reef Octopus but I saw some negative reviews regarding never being able to get the water level correct.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also looking at the Reef Octopus but I saw some negative reviews regarding never being able to get the water level correct.
I am sure you can find the same negative reviews from Deltec buyers who didn't quite get it right ;)

Anyhow- if there's any doubt as to whether the Deltec skimmer is a good option- just go and buy it and see for yourself! The Germans know what they are doing!

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've definitely heard a lot of good things about the Deltec. I'm very interested in it.

Time to start saving up!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've definitely heard a lot of good things about the Deltec. I'm very interested in it.

Time to start saving up!
With either one of them, you'll get a good skimmer! I just prefer Deltec - but they're both German and very, very good options!

Curious how large a system you're shopping for! :)

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the WB 3620, so a 60g display and ~20g sump. I currently have 8 fish but am aiming to get one more. I'd prefer to have an overpowered skimmer as I feed my fish often and like to spot feed the corals.

I've actually managed to get the RSK 300 to quiet down a bit since posting this, but still, I'd love to see how quiet I can get this setup with a different skimmer.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the WB 3620, so a 60g display and ~20g sump. I currently have 8 fish but am aiming to get one more. I'd prefer to have an overpowered skimmer as I feed my fish often and like to spot feed the corals.

I've actually managed to get the RSK 300 to quiet down a bit since posting this, but still, I'd love to see how quiet I can get this setup with a different skimmer.
Give it some time, and if you're not happy then have a look at the Deltec ones! :)

Are you Portland US- or Portland UK?

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it some time, and if you're not happy then have a look at the Deltec ones! :)

Are you Portland US- or Portland UK?

Portland, Oregon ;)

Do you have any thoughts on the 600i vs 600ix?

compare.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Portland, Oregon ;)

Do you have any thoughts on the 600i vs 600ix?

compare.jpg
Never tried the ix series, didn't even know they existed ;-) So that will sadly be a no from here!

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never tried the ix series, didn't even know they existed ;-) So that will sadly be a no from here!

I'm just a bit confused by it as it seems like it comes with an AC pump and no controller, which to me implies louder operation and less control, so I'm curious why it costs more than the i model.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience with skimmers, I've tried a few different models:

1. Bubble Magus Mini Q: I was pleasantly surprised by how well this little guy performed in my 40 litre tank, and it's also pretty quiet.
  2. Bubble Magus Curve 5: This was my first real skimmer, and while it was kind of loud, it wasn't too bad. I had it in my 120 litre aquarium.
  3. RSK 600: Unfortunately, the RSK 600 was the loudest skimmer I've ever owned. I was quite upset with it and wouldn't buy it again. It was in my 215 litre aquarium.
  4. Deltec 1000i: On a more positive note, the Deltec 1000i is the quietest skimmer I've owned to date. It's not completely silent, but I have it in my living room, running on my 750 litre aquarium.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is operater error. Not the skimmer. I run the cheapest reef octopus 110 classic. Very quiet and is ac pump driven no issues.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the Deltec from personal experience great skimmer. I had the AC model and it was the quietest Ac skimmer I’ve had but The DC model will be worlds quieter than the Nyos which is an AC motor.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the same skimmer as @CasperOe . Never had a lick of trouble with it and dead silent . Best purchase I've ever made.
Best skimmer I've ever used.
And I've had a lot.

aleksloga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Please let me know!
A&C 200xxsQ look at this. I think this is what you need

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nyos 160. Works like a champ, super quiet. Wanted a deltec originally but couldn't find it in stock. All my experiences with Nyos products have felt like they were high-quality products that don't cut corners. I did have an issue with their salt once, but not a huge biggie

RobR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Please let me know!
Hi there,

Please let me know!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back