The UNICORN skimmer

rcamps23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been searching high and low for the quietest skimmer on the market. I currently run a 60g cube with a 25g cube sump. I run the Vectra s1 return and 2 nero 3's. All pumps are near dead silence at the setting I use. Next I need to upgrade skimmer, I want performance but unfortunately noise takes top priority with this setup. I thought I was ready to pull the trigger on the Nyos quantum, 120 but reviews go back and forth with noise. I keep hearing they are loud during break in and after cleanings ??? Then I went down another rabbit hole of the reef octo regal series that I see most comments say silent... I have neither local to compare or evaluate. Im left with opinions and youtube videos. If anyone has real world experience with these or any other models that are as close to silent (silent with doors on cabinet closed and around 8-10ft away) I'm all ears.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer noise is from two sources only - the pump and aspirated air. Buy a silent pump and isolate it with a pad and you have the first thing solved; muffle the air intake and there goes the second.

jradishness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Quantum 220, and as long as it’s tuned correctly, it’s silent. If I bump the silencer screw during cleaning, yeah, it makes a ruckus, but as soon as I re-adjust it, silence again.

OP
OP
R

rcamps23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer noise is from two sources only - the pump and aspirated air. Buy a silent pump and isolate it with a pad and you have the first thing solved; muffle the air intake and there goes the second.
I currently run the vertex omega with a sicce pump, I have the skimmer on a silicone mat. I also have the air silence fitted with foam inside to help with noise. Still I find it too loud. I'm worried about dropping $$ for the same results.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rcamps23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Quantum 220, and as long as it’s tuned correctly, it’s silent. If I bump the silencer screw during cleaning, yeah, it makes a ruckus, but as soon as I re-adjust it, silence again.
So when tuned with the cabinet doors closed standing a few feet away it can't be heard ? I heard some of the older quantums were loud but it has since been addressed. Unsure of the change. So many conflicting opinion on them it seems.

jradishness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when tuned with the cabinet doors closed standing a few feet away it can't be heard ? I heard some of the older quantums were loud but it has since been addressed. Unsure of the change. So many conflicting opinion on them it seems.

I have my doors off at the moment and it’s silent from 4 ft away.

Edit: maybe a slight hint of rushing water (but my socks need cleaned, lol)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run the vertex omega with a sicce pump, I have the skimmer on a silicone mat. I also have the air silence fitted with foam inside to help with noise. Still I find it to load. Im worried about dropping $$ for the same results.

Perhaps that's because you're all ears (sorry, couldn't resist LOL). I only have two ears and cannot hear my skimmers. They really are pretty easy to get to be silent.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nyos 220 is dead silent.......even when im next to it. I hear the water movement from the display before i can hear the skimmer.

OP
OP
R

rcamps23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nyos 220 is dead silent.......even when im next to it. I hear the water movement from the display before i can hear the skimmer.
How old is the skimmer ? Does it get loud during tuning or after a clean ? depth of water you run it in ?

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the skimmer ? Does it get loud during tuning or after a clean ? depth of water you run it in ?
The skimmer has been in operation 1 year today. It runs at the recommended depth of 7-8 inches. My cleaning regiment is different than most, i break down the skimmer and power wash it. It does not get loud, I've been using Nyos on my last 3 builds and in my experience they have all been very quiet.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think a lot of reefers, including myself, get caught up in how quiet the skimmer is, ignoring the potential issues with their cabinet, such as acoustic resonance due to a lack of mass and padding where the stand meets the floor.

I went down a similar rabbit hole, when recently doing research to upgrade my Reef Octo sss with a Lifereef SVS3-24. My experience with the SSS is that it had been an extremely quiet skimmer. I eventually came to the conclusion that most modern skimmers are sufficiently quiet and my experience with the SSS was a combination of the skimmer being well designed and my cabinet being built heavy and dense, rather light and strong like many modern cabinets. The thin doors and spindly bracing look clean and modern, but act much like the cone of a loud speaker, doing nothing to soak up or dampen the vibrations within.

Personally from now on, I will be focusing more on acoustic absorption and dampening, rather than nitpicking the perceived decibel level of everything that goes into my cabinet.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My NYOS 160 is almost completely silent. I run with my cabinet open...and it sits about 2.5 feet behind my home office desk. I'm thoroughly impresssed.

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've debated between Nyos and Deltec for a while. I eventually went with Deltec and never looked back. I had the S-200 prior to this, and just never got it working properly.

Overfloater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a RO Regal 150 INT and I can’t hear it. It replaced a Red Sea RSK 300 that had quite a loud Sicce pump. I wouldn’t say it was abnormally loud but you could hear it some distance from the tank. My tank is in my living room and I demand it be as quiet as possible.

I also run a RO Classic 110 INT and while not dead quiet, it is much quieter than the RSK 300 which makes sense since the pump is much smaller.

I would say go with a DC pump skimmer and you can turn the pump down until you can’t hear it. I have yet to experience an AC pump that was not audible.

OP
OP
R

rcamps23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a RO Regal 150 INT and I can’t hear it. It replaced a Red Sea RSK 300 that had quite a loud Sicce pump. I wouldn’t say it was abnormally loud but you could hear it some distance from the tank. My tank is in my living room and I demand it be as quiet as possible.

I also run a RO Classic 110 INT and while not dead quiet, it is much quieter than the RSK 300 which makes sense since the pump is much smaller.

I would say go with a DC pump skimmer and you can turn the pump down until you can’t hear it. I have yet to experience an AC pump that was not audible.
Would the 150int be overkill on a 60g ? Or would that just give more opportunity to turn the pump down and get it really quiet ?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Red Sea in one and Curve 5 in the other and both are dead silent.

OP
OP
R

rcamps23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Red Sea in one and Curve 5 in the other and both are dead silent.
Really ? Those seem to be the skimmers people are complaining about noise with... especially the red sea. I owned a curve 5 years and years ago. Worked great but didnt need to be as quiet as this current build.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back