Best reef ready tank

Michael Darling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried looking for some information on forums here and online for reviews on reef ready tanks 2019 and all that I’m finding are nano tanks which I’m not interested in and did a search on forums but came up empty.I’m interested in setting up a tank at least 120 gallon and no more than 200 gallon. I’m interested in either putting a system together myself or a AIO tank with reviews and ideas. Rea Sea is all I’ve really found some information on. If anyone can steer me in the right direction were I can get ideas and reviews that would be super. I do realize this covers a vast array of equipment and ideas but you’ve got to start somewhere right.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the kids a 100 gallon 60"x20"x20" Planet Aquarium setup with stand, top, and a chepo Current USA led light strip for $600. Personally I'm very impressed with the build quality. The glass is 1/2" thick, the seems are second no none as the are silicones so well you have to truly look for the seems, euro braced, and made in Arlington Tx. They come with a no questions asked 5 year warranty as well. My local fish/coral shop just started selling their setups and the owner who is as picky as they come went to their factory and swears he will no longer sell any tanks other then from Planet Aquarium now.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really can't go wrong with Red Sea IMO but there are other options out there depending on what you're looking to do. Take a look at Crystal Dynamic out of CA. You can piece together a custom system of your choosing and come in pretty darn close to the cost of the predominant AIO setups like Red Sea or Waterbox.

OP
OP
Michael Darling

Michael Darling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the kids a 100 gallon 60"x20"x20" Planet Aquarium setup with stand, top, and a chepo Current USA led light strip for $600. Personally I'm very impressed with the build quality. The glass is 1/2" thick, the seems are second no none as the are silicones so well you have to truly look for the seems, euro braced, and made in Arlington Tx. They come with a no questions asked 5 year warranty as well. My local fish/coral shop just started selling their setups and the owner who is as picky as they come went to their factory and swears he will no longer sell any tanks other then from Planet Aquarium now.

Thanks for the information will look into.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out innovative marine and waterbox. I have the IM 100g and love it. They just came out with a 150 that’s 4’x3’. It’s awesome looking. Waterbox has some very nice setups as well and are more plug and play

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing I've done recently was to NOT get a reef ready tank. Cannot speak to all of them, but in the majority of cases an after-market ghost-style overflow is a massive upgrade. If you are even moderately handy it's easy.

OP
OP
Michael Darling

Michael Darling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really can't go wrong with Red Sea IMO but there are other options out there depending on what you're looking to do. Take a look at Crystal Dynamic out of CA. You can piece together a custom system of your choosing and come in pretty darn close to the cost of the predominant AIO setups like Red Sea or Waterbox.
Best thing I've done recently was to NOT get a reef ready tank. Cannot speak to all of them, but in the majority of cases an after-market ghost-style overflow is a massive upgrade. If you are even moderately handy it's easy.
Check out innovative marine and waterbox. I have the IM 100g and love it. They just came out with a 150 that’s 4’x3’. It’s awesome looking. Waterbox has some very nice setups as well and are more plug and play

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also check out SCA aquariums that have a lot of cubes PNP systems. they do custom work to.
there are lots of options out there that is for sure. I would narrow it down a bit to what you are looking for. ie. rimless, cube vs standard, AIO vs custom.
I got a red sea reefer a few months back and its top notch. one reason I went RS what the stand. I always did DIY and they where never modern and sleek. so kinda all depends what your looking for.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wow that's a great deal. I have been hearing a lot of good things about them of late. was that a sale price or normal price?

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal price as far as I know.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a quick picture
BB390C30-E9F6-4C64-AD06-A664A81FFE7F.jpeg

jokim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good suggestions. For the “best” tanks and if I had room to upgrade, I would look into reef savvy (not sure recently but used to have long lead times) and Elos tanks (expensive)

OP
OP
Michael Darling

Michael Darling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also check out SCA aquariums that have a lot of cubes PNP systems. they do custom work to.
there are lots of options out there that is for sure. I would narrow it down a bit to what you are looking for. ie. rimless, cube vs standard, AIO vs custom.
I got a red sea reefer a few months back and its top notch. one reason I went RS what the stand. I always did DIY and they where never modern and sleek. so kinda all depends what your looking for.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I agree my ghost style overflows are much better.
There are a few companies that do have them on their tanks too like reef savvy.

I just drilled some smaller tanks for regular overflow. What a pain to get them adjusted for no noise. Plus no emergency drain.

OP
OP
Michael Darling

Michael Darling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Red Sea setup did you go with? With so many choices I’m for sure looking at a larger tank 120 + that will at some point house corals. Starting with rock and fish the moving into corals. Have been looking at Red Sea and Waterbox. I sure wish I had an authorized dealer close to really look things over.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back