Best return pumps in the industry: Who gets your vote?

Best Return Pump in the Industry

• Abyzz

• Blueline

• Danner Mag Drive

• Dolphin / Poseidon

• Ecotech Vectra

• Eheim

• Fluval

• Iwaki

• Jebao / Jecod

• Neptune

• Pan World

• Red Dragon

• Reeflo

• Reef Octopus VarioS

• Sicce

• Simplicity

• Skimz

• Waterblaster

• Waveline

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well depends on the tank size. 200 to 450 Id say reeflo super dart/snapper hybrid gold. $300 to $400 depending on who you buy it from.
I use the 4300GPH impeller. little Most DC pumps don't have this.
Mine is quitter than my skimmer pump which is a DCT 15,000 jacod/jebao

Next choice if money wasn't much of a factor over $1K would be a Royal exclusive Red Dragon 3 Speedy $$$ in 4500, 500 gallon 5000, or 600 gallon tank 6340 GPH
dead silent you turn them on and wonder if they are working until you hear water moving in tank. NICE!

FFFishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Abyzz. Quiet, efficient, powerful, variable. I use their A200 as a return pump from my basement sump to a 120gal display. I'm also using an A100 on my LifeReef Skimmer.

Koi Obsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Abyzz is a great motor but it costs 3 to 4 times what the Hammer head costs I have a few new in the box when mine fails. You will be down for 3 months while your getting that abyzz fixed. Unless your rolling in the dough and have a spare 1800.00 dollar pump laying around as a back up?

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this totally depending upon the applications.
Say; in sump under cabibet,
Or in sump under basement, closed loop, etc..
Lots of factors to figure.

I do like my little vectra so far, but I still keep my Sicce and mag drives in storage because I feel they'll be there in the end.

KenJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Abyzz is the best one I have, red dragon is next up and then Vectra have all three and abyzz is lowest power consumer with the truest head rating the others never equal their stated values.

John ob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would say Jabeo is best bang for the buck. Recently purchased since my pond master fell short after 4 months glad I have live feed to alert me Current is a good pump that's priced well I just couldn't wait a day for delivery. Still say Jabeo even though controller seems to be made poorly. Silent an comes plenty mount options for tubing or hard pipe.

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm against using any DC return pump so I will eliminate any of the excellent manufacturers that make them as part of this discussion.

Ehiem and Danner Supreme mag drive pumps are both a great value. Quiet, and they just work.

Sicce - Again, quiet and reliable. Gotta love having a 5 year warranty. Adjustable flow without needing an electronic controller.

Iwaki - About as good as it gets for value in a true pressure rated pump.

Great post.....I am old school and been running Supreme Mag Drive, PanWorld, BlueLine and Iwaki for over 16-years and never a failure while operating. Had to replace some wearable parts here and there, but that
I'm against using any DC return pump so I will eliminate any of the excellent manufacturers that make them as part of this discussion.

Ehiem and Danner Supreme mag drive pumps are both a great value. Quiet, and they just work.

Sicce - Again, quiet and reliable. Gotta love having a 5 year warranty. Adjustable flow without needing an electronic controller.

Iwaki - About as good as it gets for value in a true pressure rated pump.

GREAT post....I'm old school and been running Mag Drive, Iwaki and Blueline/Panworld for over 16-years.

The past 10+ years I've been running Iwaki and Bluelines exclusively and run without failure. I've replaced wearable parts here and there, but that's it.

I have no need to change my setup or go to DC pumps. I simply install ballvalve the discharge and regulate the flow that way....KISS IMHO.

rocknut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably jinxing myself, but after using a TON of pumps over the years, I would absolutely say Ehiem.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 75 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 74 29.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 54 21.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 48 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back