Best return pumps in the industry: Who gets your vote?

Best Return Pump in the Industry

• Abyzz

• Blueline

• Danner Mag Drive

• Dolphin / Poseidon

• Ecotech Vectra

• Eheim

• Fluval

• Iwaki

• Jebao / Jecod

• Neptune

• Pan World

• Red Dragon

• Reeflo

• Reef Octopus VarioS

• Sicce

• Simplicity

• Skimz

• Waterblaster

• Waveline

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lillken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red dragon D.C. All day I have two 230w and I control them all day with apex

DJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 5 Ecotech Vectra M1s. I can't say if they are the best as I don't have experience with most of the others but I love these pumps. Nice & quiet & lots of setup options within the Ecotech program..

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for the Ecotech Vectra, specifically the L1, because that's what I'm using in my 180 build if they ever get back in stock.

Another good pump not on the list is the Deepwater Aquatics BLDC pumps. I use one on my 93 cube and it works great. It has BSP threading, but Deepwater will send you a screw on adapter if needed. Also has the heat sink built into the controller.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a Waveline 12000 for about 6 months in which time the output dropped off maybe 30-40%. I swapped it out for a Reeflo Dart (gold). The Dart has been running reliably ever since.

Comment: it may be interesting to split up the poll into 2 or 3 different size categories. Most pumps posted are not candidates for my 240G DT.
My thoughts exactly. Would be more helpful if there were different size categories.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted Red dragon because after 11 years my skimmer pump looked brand new inside when I sold it. If I had a second choice, I would vote Pan World because the external pump I bought used 11 years ago still worked fine when I retired it last spring. My Pan world Ca. Reactor pump is also running strong after 11 years.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree the danner mag drives will run forever but do generate heat. The DC pumps are all pretty much the same except Abyzz. I used a jebao DC-12000 but it seemed to freeze up either while I was out of town or just before I left. The last time I put my danner mag drive in, it has been over a year without cleaning. I feel that unless you go with the very expensive Abyzz, for long life and reliability go with AC pumps. Not really sure why one needs DC controlled pumps except for the wave pumps.

Actually there are several reasons to go with D.C.
DC pumps are/have:
- More torque at low/starting speeds so far less likely to freeze up due to build up on the pump
- more energy efficient
- soft start
- They are inherently safer because they run/require lower voltage
- won't be damaged if rotor is stopped while motor is energized
-directional starting, ensures starts in correct direction
-variable speeds
-quieter

Albert bada

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been runnin my Jebao DC4000 and it's done a heck of a job and you can't here this thing running.

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it is Reeflo Dart.
I am on 3.5 years and still runs like a champ. It has never leaked or been out of service for any reason.

JCGSO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years I only used Mags, but heat and noise were issues. On my new 90, I decided to try a Jebao DCP sine wave pump. So far I am impressed. It is dead silent and I really like the controllable aspect. Time will tell how reliable it is, but especially at the price, I am very happy with it.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a long time Eheim fan, then a I had a good number of the newer ones die on me in the recent years. Swapped the return on my large tank to a Jaebo DCT-8000 and haven't had the first hiccup. I just ordered a Sicce for my new 32G build, if I'm not a fan I'll be looking for a smaller DC Jaebo.

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose "other" because I've never used one but I'm trying to decide on one for my new build. Perfect timing!
It's tough to use this poll for a decision like yours due to the lack of context. You'll have to consider ammount of flow needed, head pressure ratings etc. Best of luck with your new tank!

Money millz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Hydor return pump for almost two years and have had no issue. It also comes with a sponge that filters out debris in the sump from getting back in the tank. It's extremely silent and reliable. It's not expensive and the only drawback would be that it's not a DC pump. Some of these other pump like Jebao are DC but noisy and no sponge which is really important in keeping a crystal clear tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back