Best return pumps in the industry: Who gets your vote?

Best Return Pump in the Industry

• Abyzz

• Blueline

• Danner Mag Drive

• Dolphin / Poseidon

• Ecotech Vectra

• Eheim

• Fluval

• Iwaki

• Jebao / Jecod

• Neptune

• Pan World

• Red Dragon

• Reeflo

• Reef Octopus VarioS

• Sicce

• Simplicity

• Skimz

• Waterblaster

• Waveline

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Money millz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval is no joke either. I had the SP6 on a 300 gallon tank and a manifold with only one pump and it was pushing over 2000gph at 6ft with no issues. It's a beast

truperc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
External pumps are the best way to go. I have a Gen-X (PCX-40) that is 17+ years old.
My Gen-x is 14 years old, no issues- and I have a spare just in case. Looks like I have a few more years before it will need replacing.

Flashnburn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used iwaki (Japanese motor) for years never had a failure and little to no maintenance required. I would consider them most reliable pump I have used. Obviously they have their negatives like power consumption and heat. Until the dc motors with their electronics are more reliable I will be sticking with something for main circulation that has been used in the industry for countless years.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I'm bored here in my cubicle I couldn't help but notice something about some of the pump options in the poll. Specifically, the pumps that have been out for two years or less. How could it be said that they are the best when their long term reliability has not been proven over time? Right now the Vectra is in the lead, but I'm afraid most people are voting based on what they think is cool and popular, not truly what is best at any particular price point.
On the other end of the spectrum is the Jebao pumps now coming in at second place beating Sicce. Yes, they are affordably priced and have a following because of that and that they seem to work however also with questionable long term reliability. But when looking at all factors, would everyone agree a Jebao is best? I feel like this pole could be renamed What are the most popular pumps?

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jecod gets my vote as a dc powered pump it's cheap, quiet, controlable whether it be be for feeding the tank or the flow of the pump.
I run a 2000 on my protein skimmer and a DCS4000 to run my tank and have just bought a DCS8000 to run my tank and a manifold for a couple of reactors and an algae scrubber.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I'm bored here in my cubicle I couldn't help but notice something about some of the pump options in the poll. Specifically, the pumps that have been out for two years or less. How could it be said that they are the best when their long term reliability has not been proven over time? Right now the Vectra is in the lead, but I'm afraid most people are voting based on what they think is cool and popular, not truly what is best at any particular price point.
On the other end of the spectrum is the Jebao pumps now coming in at second place beating Sicce. Yes, they are affordably priced and have a following because of that and that they seem to work however also with questionable long term reliability. But when looking at all factors, would everyone agree a Jebao is best? I feel like this pole could be renamed What are the most popular pumps?
I understand where you are coming from, but I think "best" is just fine. Used in this context, best is very subjective. To some, the best pump may be the most affordable. To others, it may be the most reliable. Others may think the best pump is the one with the most bells and whistles. For me, the best pump is the one that offers the best blend of quality, reliability, noise, and affordability.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand where you are coming from, but I think "best" is just fine. Used in this context, best is very subjective. To some, the best pump may be the most affordable. To others, it may be the most reliable. Others may think the best pump is the one with the most bells and whistles. For me, the best pump is the one that offers the best blend of quality, reliability, noise, and affordability.
I'm not literally suggesting that the name needs to be changed. Just that I feel "Most Popular" would be more appropriate a title considering.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless I missed it, any votes for the Neptune COR yet? :D

*Edit - just voted and saw 9 votes for the Neptune... they must be insiders! :eek:

Blue Carbon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to say most people have very limited experience with multiple pumps and maybe a handful on this list. Most people will surely just reply with what they are using which doesn't really help survey which is the best but most used. I currently use the Reeflo Hammerhead/ Barracuda gold as my main return pump. It is a great pump, handles head pressure very well but it is loud and I am sure it eats a lot of power (375 watts). However, it is what is needed to push 3000+ gallons/hour 16 feet of head pressure roughly. I use a 2 Mag 12s and a mag 18. they are super durable, have never had one break on me. They do better submerged as they put out a lot of heat. I also use Eheim pumps for running carbon reactors and pellet reactors. So my only experience is <600 GPH. They are also very reliable and have replaced what I would consider cheap pumps, maxijets which have failed on me multiple times. I hope this helps with the information you are trying to collect.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a gen-x 55 I bought used. I clean it once a year. It is a solid pump.
WOW, that is cool. Too bad the Manufacture went out of business at least 6+ years ago. I have only wiped dust of it on occasion along with a bit of salt creep. I do have a brand new spare (still in orig. box) it is over 6 years old I think.
pump assy. and sumps left side.JPG old pic. area cleaned and straightened up now.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting poll. Might be more of a market demographic than anything.

I voted Iwaki, but it's all I've ever owned.

CeeGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok which eheim
I have a 1260 I think. Been over a decade since I bought it though so I may be wrong. It is definitely that style tho.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back