Best salt for mixed reef

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea does indeed mix up more "dirty". The synthetic salts will mix clearer, faster and won't build up residue over time in the mixing container. A few examples of synthetic salts would be Tropic Marin, HW Wiegandt, and Brightwell Neo Marine.

ComfortRacing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is like asking “what is the best bourbon”, there isn’t a right or wrong answer. I switched from reef crystals to coral pro and now i have to dose less. That was my goal so I accomplished “the best salt for a mixed reef” for me. Plus i had an issue with a lot of Alk at the bottom of my Brute every time i mixed reef crystals and now I dont have any so it is making it to my tank without dosing a lot of extra alk!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If clean mixing is a top priority, then Tropic Marin Pro or ESV are the best available. ESV being the cleanest and most consistent salt I have used over the years.

I have a small bag of NeoMarine that I am going to mix up and send off an ICP soon. I actually have almost 10 salts I am doing this for.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised more people aren't mentioning ESV B-Ionic Seawater System. ESV is definitely my favorite salt and I've been using it for over 15 years. This is a high-quality salt that mixes clean and quickly. The concept of using 4 parts makes a lot of sense and eliminates precipitation issues. Each kit consists of two dry components and two liquid components. Dry NaCl is mixed first, followed by a Mg salt mix, then the two liquid components (one containing CaCl and positive charged elements; the other, the alkalinity solution with negatively charged elements. The two dry components dissolve in a couple of minutes and there is never any residue, just crystal-clear saltwater!

Other brands of salt have the problem of distributing a minute amount of trace elements throughout the entire bucket of salt. It is impossible to distribute them evenly. The ESV B-Ionic System solves this problem by measuring and adding each of the 4 components separately.

I had the opportunity to pass by Long Island 2 days ago so made a quick visit to ESV and stocked up on a good supply of salt. Here is a picture of Bob Stark (CEO) standing in front of a pallet of salt!

Bob Stark.jpeg

You can read about the ESV B-Ionic Seawater System here:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why change from RS black?
might create an instability as RS black is high on the major three, so if you change, you’ll need something like Fritz Redline which exceeds Alk of 11.5dkh and runs around 12dkh.
The only time I ever got cloudy RS BB was when I heated and over mixed.
Done hundreds of buckets clear every time.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is like asking “what is the best bourbon”, there isn’t a right or wrong answer. I switched from reef crystals to coral pro and now i have to dose less. That was my goal so I accomplished “the best salt for a mixed reef” for me. Plus i had an issue with a lot of Alk at the bottom of my Brute every time i mixed reef crystals and now I dont have any so it is making it to my tank without dosing a lot of extra alk!
So what is the best bourbon?

davescj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used reef crystals, and have no complaints. I have my LFS (DeSoto Aquatics) maintain my tank 2x per month, so my water is his water. I do test alk and Ca daily....b/c I have corals that consume them. Most corals have thrived, my fish are happy.....and the price is reasonable.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised more people aren't mentioning ESV B-Ionic Seawater System. ESV is definitely my favorite salt and I've been using it for over 15 years. This is a high-quality salt that mixes clean and quickly. The concept of using 4 parts makes a lot of sense and eliminates precipitation issues. Each kit consists of two dry components and two liquid components. Dry NaCl is mixed first, followed by a Mg salt mix, then the two liquid components (one containing CaCl and positive charged elements; the other, the alkalinity solution with negatively charged elements. The two dry components dissolve in a couple of minutes and there is never any residue, just crystal-clear saltwater!

Other brands of salt have the problem of distributing a minute amount of trace elements throughout the entire bucket of salt. It is impossible to distribute them evenly. The ESV B-Ionic System solves this problem by measuring and adding each of the 4 components separately.

I had the opportunity to pass by Long Island 2 days ago so made a quick visit to ESV and stocked up on a good supply of salt. Here is a picture of Bob Stark (CEO) standing in front of a pallet of salt!

Bob Stark.jpeg

You can read about the ESV B-Ionic Seawater System here:

ESV makes great products and Mr. Stark is amazing. The only reason why it probably isn't mentioned as much it is more work and on the higher price tier.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV makes great products and Mr. Stark is amazing. The only reason why it probably isn't mentioned as much it is more work and on the higher price tier.
It's like anything else...... you get what you pay for. I'll use I.O, for my fish quarantine tank but I want the best for my high-end SPS. I've used many brands over the years. Yes, they all "work" but IMO nothing comes close to the purity and uniformity of ESV. As far as "work" is concerned, I definitely don't mind weighing and measuring the 4 components knowing that I am getting a consistent mix with evenly dispersed trace elements. Once you do it a few times it is very quick and the fact that the salt is ready to use in 5 minutes may make up for some of one's time, if "time" is that much of a concern.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like anything else...... you get what you pay for. I'll use I.O, for my fish quarantine tank but I want the best for my high-end SPS. I've used many brands over the years. Yes, they all "work" but IMO nothing comes close to the purity and uniformity of ESV. As far as "work" is concerned, I definitely don't mind weighing and measuring the 4 components knowing that I am getting a consistent mix with evenly dispersed trace elements. Once you do it a few times it is very quick and the fact that the salt is ready to use in 5 minutes may make up for some of one's time, if "time" is that much of a concern.

No argument and totally agree. :D

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back