Best sand sifter. , without fish!!

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we were cycling our Cade and time came to introduce bugs, cope and anthro. and a couple other cuc critters to more ready for fish. We settled on horseshoe crabs. We called our friends at Algae Barn and got 2. Not only were they cool and immortal, lol, they were amazing to watch, swim in current for fun n do other cool things like race under sand that's visible from top. The sand humps. Well, then it came time to add the dragonet's, its their tank, and apparently the tank masters(horseshoe crabs) disagreed. They charged at my pair and by their walk u could tell what was going to happen next ,but I couldn't believe it, they have no pincers , big teeth, stuff like that, so had the wife look it up while I distracted the coming deaths. What my wife found out sounded pretty horrific. These guys wrap their legs around their pray, fish, and CRUSH. Yep, crush my little mandarins . then I realized I hadn't been feeding them near enough n now in front of them was 2 perfect looking meals.With no other choice the cat next door and I met for the first time. I guess the reason for this post is for those that don't know, horseshoe crabs r great to have ,cycle finishing and sand cleaner and sifter r cool to have and super easy to care for. But do NOT introduce fish together w them. Remove them first. ( actually easy part)

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ouch

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear this, but horseshoe crabs have absolutely no business in this hobby. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but they get huge and require an extremely large area to graze, which makes it impossible for hobbyist to care for them. A 2' long invert doesn't belong in a glass box. Shame on AlgaeBarn and LiveAquaria for even offering these animals. If you want a good sand cleaner, pick up a tiger tail cucumber (aka water pickle) or several fighting conchs. Again, sorry for your loss.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back