Best sea star ?

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asterinas eat zoas - I have watched them.
What's not to love about one of these guys?
image.jpeg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t realize there were different kinds. Mine is brown as well and so far I have seen no sort of interest in fish or corals.
There are some very cool colors of serpent and brittle stars out there! I've got a tan and red banded serpent and a bright orange one

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 and my Blue Lincktia has survived 3-4 Months, also when all my fish died from ich, he started to disintegrate but he is good now.

Multiflora licktias are good but keep your water stable.

Sand Sifting Sea Stars eat detritus and yes they do eat microfauna but they are overlooked to much. If you have a 4"+ sandbed a Sand Siting Star is fine.

Some small fromias may be good, not to sure.

Anything else is to big or needs a really established tank.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some species of asterina (or whatever people are calling asterinas) eat zoanthids, some won't touch corals unless starving. The pesky ones tend to be a bit larger, darker colored, and splotchy. Either way, they're the only star-shaped starfish suitable for a reef tank.

How do you feel about tuxedo urchins? I know they aren't starfish, but they're echinoderms, which are the same group. They're pretty cool.
I liked the look of pin cushion urchins but my friends dad got sent to the hospital because he got impaled by a sea urchin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pincushion's urchins spikes are small, they feel nice and if you have a brain you shouldn''t get impaled by apincushion urchin.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pincushion's urchins spikes are small, they feel nice and if you have a brain you shouldn''t get impaled by apincushion urchin.
Oh ok then I will get one as they supposedly eat a lot of algae and they look super cool :)

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh by the way just a warning. Pincushion URchin's mouth are these brown cone shaped things that have 5 really sharp teeth, it scary but the friendliest thing.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh by the way just a warning. Pincushion URchin's mouth are these brown cone shaped things that have 5 really sharp teeth, it scary but the friendliest thing.
Oh god ok as long as they don’t hurt me I’m good :D

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tuxedo urchins are about as sharp as a hairbrush. You can safely pick them up. As for compatibility, they have absolutely no interest in anything that isn't algae or a small item they can wear. Their single potential compatibility issue (aside from big fish that might eat them) is that they carry small things around for protection and camouflage, and may pick up small coral frags, hermit crabs, or snails. Nothing eats them, at least nothing you would be likely to have in your tank, because they're sea urchins.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuxedo urchins are about as sharp as a hairbrush. You can safely pick them up. As for compatibility, they have absolutely no interest in anything that isn't algae or a small item they can wear. Their single potential compatibility issue (aside from big fish that might eat them) is that they carry small things around for protection and camouflage, and may pick up small coral frags, hermit crabs, or snails. Nothing eats them, at least nothing you would be likely to have in your tank, because they're sea urchins.
Great they sound like the perfect fit I will get one of those and do some more research on them

Silly clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brittle or serpent star. Serpent stars are available in some different colors and stripes.

MrSalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard fromia stars are more hardy then most others and will eat normal flake food or shrimp. Is this not the case? I had one on my last order from Live Aquaria and they canceled it because they ended up being out of stock. Still hope to get one. I've also heard the common sea star (echinaster spinulosus) are easy to care for and are supposedly cheap and available locally near the Gulf. But I have yet to find one.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is not remotely the case. Fromias will starve like linkias will. They can take a year or so to starve, is the problem- people have one that's actively dying and think it's doing fine. Common sea stars, I believe aren't reef safe?

Let's just say there's a reason reef tanks don't have star-shaped starfish. The thing is, people like them. If they were even remotely easy to keep, people would have them.

Back