Best sump design/Brand?

wonderphil-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am looking at new sumps, and I wanted to compare different sump builds so I wanted to find out what people rate.

So question, what do people think is the best sump out there and why?

And if you were to pick a custom-made sump over a stand buy off the shelve, what makes it need to be custom?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,

I am looking at new sumps, and I wanted to compare different sump builds so I wanted to find out what people rate.

And if you were to pick a custom-made sump over a stand buy off the shelve, what makes it need to be custom?
Love my Bashea
My previous synergy reef unit also very good

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I had mine custom built by the guy who built my display. I wanted the largest possible refugium area I could get under the stand so that meant custom. I ended up with a sump that has a little more than 40 gallons for the fuge section and I think around 30 in the return section.
So, it just depends on your needs for your setup. If off the shelf works, then great. If not, have someone build what you need or build your own by adding dividers to a glass tank.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehiem hobby pump are the best, hands down. Have a few that are over 20 years old and still work.

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely open sump with possibly 1 baffle for the return chamber.

Put stuff wherever you want and use whatever equipment you want. Easy to clean.

The neon art piece acrylic sumps look cool but are IMO a trap. Usability issues come up and you're locking yourself into 1 sump design. On the other hand if your looking for an art piece, they undeniably add pizzazz

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask why? again personal interest to understand what people do
added system volume, pod and critter diversity, and a place to grow algae. At one point I had a 75 gallon refugium attached to my system and it never looked better. I had 0 issues with nuisance algae in my display.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehiem hobby pump are the best, hands down. Have a few that are over 20 years old and still work.
Ditto. I have a 1262 return that has been running since about 2009 with 0 issues. I've never done anything to it other than pull stray chaeto out of the inlet.

OP
OP
wonderphil-reef

wonderphil-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
added system volume, pod and critter diversity, and a place to grow algae. At one point I had a 75 gallon refugium attached to my system and it never looked better. I had 0 issues with nuisance algae in my display.
cool, I wondered if that was it, wasn't sure if you doing something special different. Thats the big factor in why I want to upgrade my sump.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best one I’ve found so far for my tank is just an open 40breeder, with no partitions/baffles. Super cheap upfront, no customization costs, super easy to clean, no walls to force certain equipment that won’t fit

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqueon $1 per gallon. I like to place my own baffles where I see fit. Glass is cheap. My favorite method just so happens to be the cheapest.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always made my own.. This time I made a 60x24x18 for the 300 out of acrylic. Currently making a 36x20x18 for a client and two 5 gallon arcylic containers, one for rodi and the other for kalk. I like making them out of acrylic, I was never a fan of getting a glass tank and putting in glass baffles, aways afraid of a accident break of baffles or getting cut.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back