Best sump features to date

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love sump innovations and the unique things people and companies do with them. Or if your sump is "normal" design but is made of unique materials or colors. I want to gather all of these things in one place!

If you have an idea unrealized, you can also post. Pictures are worth 1000 words.

To get the ball rolling

IMG_1584.JPG

Built in media reactors

IMG_1581.JPG

Center section bypass. This allows the center to be drained for cleaning or water change but the DT still gets flow through the first and last chamber

IMG_1598.JPG

Filter sock silencers

OP
OP
Mebeknob

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1697.JPG

I like how the water has to come up and over into the filter socks. These almost seems standard in most sumps today.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new Elite Aquatics sump. I like the clear viewing panes on the front and the solid white sides, back and bottom. Also has an extra large equipment section for skimmer and reactors and larger than many return section. They used translucent blue acrylic for the baffles, per my request.

14572183_1266163280063077_1039522089484564949_n.jpg

Last edited:

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drain hoses coming into a dedicated filter sock bubble catcher, which overflows into the filter socks.
A emergency drain from the filter sock area (slits cut high in the wall) in case the socks clog
A separate drain input for the emergency drain that goes into the skimmer chamber (where the water level is lower) so that you can hear the water splashing in and you know that the emergency drain is in use.
Putting the refugium segment on the other side of the return pump segment (so on the end of the sump) this way you can control how much water flows through your fuge. If you put the fuge between the skimmer section and the return section, then all of the water flowing through the sump has to flow through the fuge (too much flow if you don't have a bypass).
I would like to see a doser tube input into the filter sock area so that calcium reactor users can drip their effluent into the turbulent and bubbly sock section which then goes into the skimmer section (best chances to dissipate the leftover CO2).
I think making sumps from PVC is significatly more durable than Acrylic, and welded seams look good.
Viewing windows are a plus.
The lights in the DreamBox sumps are cool to have but just for looks.
The heater brackets that hold heaters off of the bottom of the sump are pretty sweet.
Integrating one of those auto-roll-style pre-filters instead of filter socks is kind of cool.
Having a low flow area to house bio-media like MarinePure Blocks or balls is a good idea. I am using it now and my nitrates and phosphates stay low without GFO and even with heavy feeding.
Definitely like the evaporation and sound blocking lids.

I'll try to find some pics. I love sumps!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand it is this one?

Pretty sure that's Trigger Systems' "Tideline" series, which is only supposed to be available through brick-and-mortar fish shops. (I've seen a few such shops marketing the sump via ebay, though . . .) It's a nicely constructed sump - my LFS has had them in.

~Bruce

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1643.JPG

White sides around refugium area so algae won't grow in the other chambers
This is the sump I have! I have a question...not to hijack the thread...but does anyone use this and if so what do you do with the sponge that lays in the tray between the refugium and the return section??? It is a freaking nightmare!

Oh and it is the Trigger Tideline, not an "ebay" sump ;) it is supposed to be sold by LFS.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that sponge is supposed to help eliminate bubbles from the skimmer, but I can easily imagine it becoming a detritus magnet as well.

If that were my sump, I might consider replacing it with a bag of carbon / GFO, or eliminating it entirely.

~Bruce

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that sponge is supposed to help eliminate bubbles from the skimmer, but I can easily imagine it becoming a detritus magnet as well.

If that were my sump, I might consider replacing it with a bag of carbon / GFO, or eliminating it entirely.

~Bruce
Thanks Bruce, I was thinking of taking it out but as a newbie I was hoping for a second opinion. I do run carbon and GFO already...it catches a lot of debris from my refugium, little algae bits and such. This is why I struggle, I can see some benefit of it! o_O

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The things I love are the filter sock area where water has to pass through, adjustable skimmer area, and lids!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back