Best Tang for a 120

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input guys!

What do you think about a foxface instead of a tang?

I would stay away from foxface. I have had a foxface for three years and it still freaks out every time I feed the tank. I have asked around and all my friends with a foxface say it’s very common. Too me I want a fish that will interact with me. Not something that doesn’t learn when is feeding time after three years.

Not to mention that every time I glue corals in the tank it darts violently in the tank and with the venomous spines it always make me super nervous.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a one spot foxface in my 4' tank now, hes best buds with my melarnus wrasse. going through QT at the moment are a kole and yellow tang (last additions to the tank), so far both are very chill together in the QT.

as for the foxface freaking out while feeding as mentioned above, mine is fine with me in front of the tank and if my hands are in the tank will just go hang out on the opposite side or go camo for a bit. doesnt seem to get too upset or flash his spines

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys I am 100% sold on the Kole Tang or White Tail (if I can find one at a good price).

I may add a yellow latter depending on how I feel the tank stability is. I know these guys are big eaters so it may come down to bioload. I am hoping to get a good number of wrasses in the tank as well.

Any other experience with Yellow Tangs or other tangs in a 4 foot tank would be appreciated.

mikenestle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a one spot foxface in my 4' tank now, hes best buds with my melarnus wrasse. going through QT at the moment are a kole and yellow tang (last additions to the tank), so far both are very chill together in the QT.

as for the foxface freaking out while feeding as mentioned above, mine is fine with me in front of the tank and if my hands are in the tank will just go hang out on the opposite side or go camo for a bit. doesnt seem to get too upset or flash his spines

Mine is the first fish to the top of the water come feeding time. I feed at the same time every day. Any other time you go near the tank in the rocks he goes lol.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is the first fish to the top of the water come feeding time. I feed at the same time every day. Any other time you go near the tank in the rocks he goes lol.

Mine was pretty personable too. They are shy fish in general but depending on the fish they can be out a lot. I guess its just like people lol.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys I am 100% sold on the Kole Tang or White Tail (if I can find one at a good price).

I may add a yellow latter depending on how I feel the tank stability is. I know these guys are big eaters so it may come down to bioload. I am hoping to get a good number of wrasses in the tank as well.

Any other experience with Yellow Tangs or other tangs in a 4 foot tank would be appreciated.
If you add it later use an acclimation box, it will help. My yellow and yellow eye are best buds in my 120

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input guys!

What do you think about a foxface instead of a tang?

I think they certainly share similar spots in the food chain. I like foxfaces because they're VORACIOUS when it comes to algae. I put one in my current tank and it devoured all of the algae in my tank. Mine likes to rip off algae then swim around in pursuit of it lol. It's definitely a pretty yellow to have in the tank.

For tangs, the options for you are a little limited because you chose a 4' tank. If you'd gone with a 6' 125, I think your options open up a little more.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they certainly share similar spots in the food chain. I like foxfaces because they're VORACIOUS when it comes to algae. I put one in my current tank and it devoured all of the algae in my tank. Mine likes to rip off algae then swim around in pursuit of it lol. It's definitely a pretty yellow to have in the tank.

For tangs, the options for you are a little limited because you chose a 4' tank. If you'd gone with a 6' 125, I think your options open up a little more.

Unfortunately I am trying to fit the new build in the same footprint of my current 90g aio, so with the hob skimmer and reactor on the back the extra 6 inches fits right into the space I have my 90g now. I have no issue avoiding large tangs. So far I am thinking of going with a Kole Tang as the last fish added to system.

I am still going back and forth on a Yellow Tang vs Foxface. It seems to be about 50/50 here on keeping a yellow in a 4 foot tank but Ill probably end up with the Foxface just because I am very much against housing fish in too small of tanks.

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a small PBT and don't over feed it. It will not out grow your tank. Mine is in a 75, 3 years old and 5" long. Have had 3 tangs in 75s and their growth is stunted by tank size if you don't over load on food. Don't know why but that is how it works.

I totally read that wrong:D thought your PBT was 75.3 years old.;Woot

And… I have a PBT in a Reefer 425 XL (48" long). He does fine.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trolling?

I know enough to ignore that advice. If a yellow was ever added, it would be the last fish in the tank, not the first.

As mentioned anyways, I am moving over the livestock in my 90 g anyways, so they have to go in first.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my foxface until it turned on my zoas and finned my tomini(which died). I think you have a good plan with the yellow eye, mine eats algae constantly

My flame angel picks at zoas too so they don't have a place in my tank anways.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame angel picks at zoas too so they don't have a place in my tank anways.
I love my yellow and would try it in 120. If you get a small one. Mine grew up in a 75g 4’ for three years and did fine. No problems. This is the yellow 4.5 years later.

09666C9A-4714-4E47-9CB7-663F478A92B9.jpeg

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my yellow and would try it in 120. If you get a small one. Mine grew up in a 75g 4’ for three years and did fine. No problems. This is the yellow 4.5 years later.

09666C9A-4714-4E47-9CB7-663F478A92B9.jpeg
Well I have to say he does look healthy. You guys make my choice so tough!

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at the pyramid butterfly? They are yellow and a really nice reef safe fish. Mine was really nice and very peaceful.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back