Best tangs for a long Shallow reef?

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh,

Congrats on the new tank!

I’m not going to get in the middle of the Tang height discussion, but I did want to point out the actual water level will be dependent on the overflow weir height. That might be stating the obvious, but I almost missed this when I was planning my tank so I added 1.5” to give me the water level I wanted, which is 18”.

Good luck with the Tangs... I wish I had made mine longer.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it was merely a way to get basic proportions to compare length and height and is in no way specific measurements. :) And I do greatly value everyone's input on this as usual however, could we please direct the debate on how tall certain species eventually get towards PM and keep future comments directed towards my original post :D:D

Hi! I love tangs too. Have a 300 gal originally did 11 tangs. Lost a naso (unknown reason) relocated a scopa to other tank, relocated Power brown ( mean mean mean) to other tank and moved a tomini ( beaten up by blue eyed kole) with the powder brown into a 93 gal cube. Bought the 93 tank just for them!
Left in my 300gal, is a hippo tang, yellow, purple, Caribbean blue, blue eyed kole, chevron and dejardini tang. Have a Sohal 10” and a small 3” scopa in my 180gal. They actually don’t even notice each other. I had a powder blue amazing fish but lost it when I introduced a
New fish not quarantined long enough. My favorite really is “Dori” so pretty and mild mannered and cool personality. Sohal while not on your list has a super cool, friendly personality let’s me pet and feed by hand. Yellow also amazing! Ok I just lov tangs. I have had very good luck with three of different families too. I would go yellow, hippo tang and yellow eyed kole! No fighting and complimentary colors! Off subject but I also lov the pyramid butterfly and is reef safe. Nice colors! Can’t wait to see your tank when it’s done. Please post a build! Good luck

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way your tank plan sounds beautiful! Will be super cool with the 8’. Wish we could have had a larger tank for Sohal! We upgraded a 75gal with hippo tang and yellow to 300! I lov planning ahead it’s half the fun!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh,

Congrats on the new tank!

I’m not going to get in the middle of the Tang height discussion, but I did want to point out the actual water level will be dependent on the overflow weir height. That might be stating the obvious, but I almost missed this when I was planning my tank so I added 1.5” to give me the water level I wanted, which is 18”.

Good luck with the Tangs... I wish I had made mine longer.

Hey @Jeff_H , I had definitely given that a thought and the actual tank will be a bit higher, I'm strictly going off the actual water height in the system itself. And thank you, I had thought about going longer but the cost goes astronomical after 8' lol and we have to Kind of keep the budget a little in check;Shifty

Hi! I love tangs too. Have a 300 gal originally did 11 tangs. Lost a naso (unknown reason) relocated a scopa to other tank, relocated Power brown ( mean mean mean) to other tank and moved a tomini ( beaten up by blue eyed kole) with the powder brown into a 93 gal cube. Bought the 93 tank just for them!
Left in my 300gal, is a hippo tang, yellow, purple, Caribbean blue, blue eyed kole, chevron and dejardini tang. Have a Sohal 10” and a small 3” scopa in my 180gal. They actually don’t even notice each other. I had a powder blue amazing fish but lost it when I introduced a
New fish not quarantined long enough. My favorite really is “Dori” so pretty and mild mannered and cool personality. Sohal while not on your list has a super cool, friendly personality let’s me pet and feed by hand. Yellow also amazing! Ok I just lov tangs. I have had very good luck with three of different families too. I would go yellow, hippo tang and yellow eyed kole! No fighting and complimentary colors! Off subject but I also lov the pyramid butterfly and is reef safe. Nice colors! Can’t wait to see your tank when it’s done. Please post a build! Good luck

@RtomKinMad 11 tangs! Wow that sounds like one busy tank. Great to hear you have a wonderful mix coexisting happily now. And thank you for the suggestions!

I can't wait to see my tank when it's all done either, we are probably a year out right now from fill day (been told we have to find a house first, rules:rolleyes:). But things are being worked out now and when the time comes there will be a detailed build thread to go along with it.

Last edited:

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Jeff_H , I had definitely given that a thought and the actual tank will be a bit higher, I'm strictly going off the actual water height in the system itself. And thank you, I had thought about going longer but the cost goes astronomical after 8' lol and we have to Kind of keep the budget a little in check;Shifty

@RtomKinMad 11 tangs! Wow that sounds like one busy tank. Great to hear you have a wonderful mix coexisting happily now. And thank you for the suggestions!

I can't wait to see my tank when it's all done either, we are probably a year out right now from fill day (been told we have to find a house first, rules:rolleyes:). But things are being worked out now and when the time comes there will be a detailed build thread to go along with it.
Finding the perfect house first probably isn’t a bad idea. We have a 2 story and would love to sell and move but don’t know how moving a 300gal reef and 180gal tank would work. I would do a custom 500gal 8’ if we ever finally decided to move! Would have to buy/build and start up new tank before we could transfer these. So, your doing it the right way. I bought our tank and then it took about a year to actually get it up and running and sump built and all. Good to plan ahead. Each time we start a new tank it’s better! Well good luck to you guys and have fun! Best regards

marco2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a naso, kole,sail fin, blue hippo, lieutenant in a 180 for a year all get along great

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a naso, kole,sail fin, blue hippo, lieutenant in a 180 for a year all get along great
Do you have a picture? Sounds like a pretty combo of tangs! I’ve lost 3 nasos for no apparent reason I’ve been able to find so I won’t try them again but we love them.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read partial thread, but not the whole thread yet, so ignore me if irrelevant. I have a 6’x2’x16”. I recently added a Tomini Tang. A great smaller tang option to possibly toss in the mix. It is a heavy duty worker for algaes as well. Best addition I’ve made in my eyes.
Dependent on coral added or FOWLR, I’d be careful of adding a purple tang. My LFS had several purples in their display that started nipping at sps so he removed them and things have gotten better since.

My Tomini center of pic with the yellow fins.
9723420C-2FB1-49D9-ADF6-6972AAB4801C.jpeg

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read partial thread, but not the whole thread yet, so ignore me if irrelevant. I have a 6’x2’x16”. I recently added a Tomini Tang. A great smaller tang option to possibly toss in the mix. It is a heavy duty worker for algaes as well. Best addition I’ve made in my eyes.
Dependent on coral added or FOWLR, I’d be careful of adding a purple tang. My LFS had several purples in their display that started nipping at sps so he removed them and things have gotten better since.

Pretty tank! I also like the tomini we have. Really helps keep tank clean!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I second the Pictures!

Definitely relevant. Thank you for your input!:)

Finding the perfect house first probably isn’t a bad idea. We have a 2 story and would love to sell and move but don’t know how moving a 300gal reef and 180gal tank would work. I would do a custom 500gal 8’ if we ever finally decided to move! Would have to buy/build and start up new tank before we could transfer these. So, your doing it the right way. I bought our tank and then it took about a year to actually get it up and running and sump built and all. Good to plan ahead. Each time we start a new tank it’s better! Well good luck to you guys and have fun! Best regards

That's the hopes, planning ahead is what I love to do and it seems the best way to go about things in this hobby.

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A767D53C-3089-4C09-8FC9-D7856E823EAF.jpeg
I have a 1m38 x 81cm x 38cm super shallow tank build. The sand bed is about 1/2” deep, and the water level is around 35cm. Do you guys think it is possible to put only 1 tang into this tank ? Currently on week 3 of new tank cycle.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A767D53C-3089-4C09-8FC9-D7856E823EAF.jpeg
I have a 1m38 x 81cm x 38cm super shallow tank build. The sand bed is about 1/2” deep, and the water level is around 35cm. Do you guys think it is possible to put only 1 tang into this tank ? Currently on week 3 of new tank cycle.
Yes maybe, one yellow, or yellow eyed kole, blue eyed kole or tomini would work.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks:) Do you think a Desjardini tang would be ok for this tank ?

If gottten small could be ok for a few years but they are bigger than the others in the family and have a large fin span top to bottom. They will out grow the depth of your current tank and will have to be rehomed when older. But they are absolutely beautiful fish and have nice personalities swims all day long and first back swimming in am. We love ours in 300 gal. Saw one in Florida that was over 20yrs old very large 12” long x 8” high. It is a beautiful tank. You could probably do any tang for a while if small and rehome when they get large. If you could give them up. I just can’t give mine up so build them a bigger home. You do have a beautiful tank. Please post pictures as it grows. Good luck

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is a picture of my dejardini, yellow and hippo tang. I just took it. We got the hippo tang when it was the size of a quarter, the yellow a bit bigger that was 3.5 yrs ago and got the dejardini one year ago and it was the same size of yellow and now is bigger. Just something to compare too. My powder brown is very small even after three years and is worthy to consider in a more shallow tank. Really pretty with a yellow tang.

E8735EE8-966E-408C-8F81-A45BB2F66070.jpeg

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the powder brown and tomini in a 93 cube. Everyone is waiting for food this am!
I have had these for 3 yrs also. Had to remove from 300gal due to aggression and bought them the 93 cube. So far so good!

D04F0F8D-F226-46AF-8E6B-0B4C4C451972.jpeg

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2 spot tang would work as well. LA says 70 gal minimum but that seems a bit small

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back