Best tangs for a long Shallow reef?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, as usual another thread about what kind of tangs will work in a tank and which ones won't. I have settled on a new custom built tank that is 8' L x 2' W and a water height of 16.5". This puts my DT volume around 155 Gal. I would like to have 2-3 tangs from this list if possible, I do realize that this may not be possible and that's okay. My hopes are that while it's shallow the added length would still allow for ample swimming space for these guys. I also realize that some of the listed won't be compatible with others on the list so I'm not trying to put them in the same tank. Just looking for good combos that will work well with each other.

Powdered Blue Tang
Yellow Tang
Purple Tang
Achillies Tang
Blue Tang
Yellow Eye Kole Tang

So looking for positive feedback here, I have no real intention of putting a fish in an environment where it won't thrive long term.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achilies, hippo (blue), and kole tang, you could probably keep a chevron with them as well.

Mixing tangs of the same genus is kind of taboo. It can work but can also cause lots of agression...so powder blue or achilies.. not both.

Purple tangs can be mean as hell when they get bigger FYI.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achilies, hippo (blue), and kole tang, you could probably keep a chevron with them as well

So you're saying those 3 plus maybe the chevron? Would just the hippo and Achilies work?

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a sailfin, blue, and yellow tang living peacefully in a 55g qt currently. Will go into my 125 as soon as it’s ready. However, independent fish vary greatly as with anything.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. I am just a fan of tangs that is all :)... the hippo tang is pretty chill. My achilies doesn't bother anyone but he is also the only fish my 8" desjardi sailfin tang doesnt harass so at some point I think there was some butt kicking handed out by the achilies.

ONE IMPORTANT THING.. (climbing on to soapbox) if you have had ich and didnt go fallow or dont plan to QT then dont get tangs. Tangs have almost no slime coat and thus are very succeptible to ich. Many an achilies has "just died" from gills filled with ich cysts. And really, its pretty lame to but a fish that was caught in the open ocean and not spend 3-4 weeks to ensure he wont die because of laziness.

Sorry..but i have had first hand experience in the fish collection trade. Lets just say it was not a very heart warming experience.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definitely a fan of tangs as well which is Why I would like atleast a couple. And I have read plenty on the fragility of tangs and used a QT setup successfully on my current set up and plan on setting up a much larger QT system when this next build starts.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet. I Qt my tangs in 20 gallon longs. But i think a 40 breeder would be better for multiple fish at once.
Good luck!

That's what I was thinking of going with a 40B. And thanks! It will be some time before it's up and running but I like to plan things properly:)

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When full grown, yellow, purple, and blue tangs are almost 12" tall. That doesn't give them a lot of space to maneuver in a 16.5" tall tank.

And this is the info I need, so in saying that does that eliminate all tangs?

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is large enough for all of those tangs. The "blue tang" would be the only questionable one, and even that should honestly be fine. You could likely keep all of those tangs in that tank at the same time. Provided they grow up together. However, all fish are individuals with their own personalities. There's always a chance that one may not get along with another. I see no reason why you couldn't try it in that tank though.

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @eatbreakfast, any other ones that get particularly tall on my list? You always read about how long they get but not many talk about the height of them.

None of them get to tall for that tank. IMHO. Unless you're putting in a sand bed that takes up much of the room. In a BB or minimal sand and LR the fish should be fine.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of them get to tall for that tank. IMHO. Unless you're putting in a sand bed that takes up much of the room. In a BB or minimal sand and LR the fish should be fine.
If a fish that is 12" tall is swimming in the middle of the tank, that leaves 2" of clearance above and below.

Johnson556

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 yellow tangs, two purple tangs, and a powder blue in my 180. Added them all at the same time and keep them well fed. They coexist with no issues what so ever, look for battle scars often and they're all spotless. One of my purples is about the size of a dinner plate as well.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a fish that is 12" tall is swimming in the middle of the tank, that leaves 2" of clearance above and below.

I agree it's pretty shallow for a fish that gets 12" tall, so I'll avoid them. :) Honestly didn't know they got that tall, as I said earlier most info you find is all about the length.

I have 3 yellow tangs, two purple tangs, and a powder blue in my 180. Added them all at the same time and keep them well fed. They coexist with no issues what so ever, look for battle scars often and they're all spotless. One of my purples is about the size of a dinner plate as well.

While I don't plan on having 6 lol it's good to know it might be possible. Obviously this can't be taken as a rule of thumb as each fish is different.

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Post a pic of any of those fish that are 12" tall. Any of them......
I'm sure somewhere on the internet it's written that these fish get 12" tall, but they don't.
These fish have to be large, old, and very mature to reach half that tall.

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it's pretty shallow for a fish that gets 12" tall, so I'll avoid them. :) Honestly didn't know they got that tall, as I said earlier most info you find is all about the length.

They don't get that tall. Not even close.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back