Best Tank Tasks for the Weekend?

Do you utilize the weekends for tank tasks?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 326 63.3%
  • NO

Votes: 39 7.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 142 27.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
TGIF!

The weekend is upon us and with the weekend comes relaxation, time spent with family, enjoying your tank and .................TANK TASKS??

Well if you have a full time job you might find it hard during the week to complete tank maintenance tasks so weekends are the best time to get them done. So today let's talk about what you do for your tank on the weekends and how your time is best utilized.

What are the best tank tasks to take on during the weekends and why? What do you do?

image via @|sCRIBe|
18A57D51-BAC4-4F25-BCD8-08C6D4688D7A.jpeg

fade2black

Is this thing on?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always done water changes on the weekend. I'll mix the water earlier in the week and let it age a few days before doing the change on the weekend. It like a Sat morning ritual for me - clean tank, change water, give everything a good look. All that with a cup of coffee and it's a good Sat morning.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try not to spend too much time all at once on the tank because that leaves the wife along with 4 kids. So I try to break it up throughout the week. Now if the kids are with grandparents, and the wife is doing her own thing. It's all about the tank. LOL

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekends start early usually. I get up, check skimmer, clean neck if i need to, ATO usually needs a refill, so if my apex alarm goes off, i do that. Bi weekly i change the carbon in the reactor, and check if i have to harvest the cheato from its reactor. Then i do a round of tests for alk, cal, phos, and nitrate. After that i may check the glass for any hard algae and scrape if needed. I pass a magnet cleaner each morning, so it usually doesnt get too bad.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My weekend "ritual" started when I was working (11 months ago - sigh) but I dedicate about an hour or so on Sunday AM to testing both tanks, cleaning skimmers, cleaning ATO sensors & topping off ATOs. Both tanks are pretty much on cruise control (to the point of almost scary) but during the week I check on auto feeder levels, dosing pump levels.

Heck I spend more time on R2R with you guys than I do with my tanks... and that's OK

Ntimm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunday is my tank maintenance day. I started my tank on a Sunday, and at the time, I never worked on sundays. I know I'm not going to have an appointment, any important phone calls, or other weekday interruptions. So I can just focus on my tank.

Sajacobs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am disabled so have to get help with all my tanks so my son does lots. He does a bit every day so we don't end up with him doing tank after tank after tank!

Mkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sometimes I just did my weekly water change today Friday!

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TGIF!

The weekend is upon us and with the weekend comes relaxation, time spent with family, enjoying your tank and .................TANK TASKS??

Well if you have a full time job you might find it hard during the week to complete tank maintenance tasks so weekends are the best time to get them done. So today let's talk about what you do for your tank on the weekends and how your time is best utilized.

What are the best tank tasks to take on during the weekends and why? What do you do?

image via @|sCRIBe|
18A57D51-BAC4-4F25-BCD8-08C6D4688D7A.jpeg
10% water change
Glass cleaning where my Vortech’s mount
Vac sand (not necessarily every weekend)
Clean skimmer cup
Monthly carbon & gfo change
Think that’s about it.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another weekend water changer. 10-15% water changes on Saturdays on my 120G. I also use weekends for any “big“ changes such as adding lights, powerheada, changing Neptune coding, etc so I have time to monitor it.

Weekdays are water testing and just eyeballing the tank for things I might need to do over the weekend.

Back