Best Tank Tasks for the Weekend?

Do you utilize the weekends for tank tasks?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 326 63.3%
  • NO

Votes: 39 7.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 142 27.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.6%

• Total voters

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend most Saturday mornings testing, cleaning, and thoroughly looking at the DTs and fuge. Everyone is usually still sleeping , so the house is nice, calm, peaceful, and quiet. If there is a schedule conflict then I just bump everything to Sunday morning. ;Happy

El Grunto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work every Saturday and Sunday. So no, I don't do any maintenance on the weekend unless it's urgent. However, I have Tuesdays and Wednesdays off and I do do my maintenance then. So I do do it on MY weekend. Scraping the glass and a 10% water change every week is really all I have to do. It takes all of 10 minutes though so it's not like I can't do it on days I work.

EB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do water testing on Saturdays and I do my water changes usually on Sunday afternoon after church. I do needed cleaning and algae scraping daily.

58e970b2-3f88-4897-87ba-5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a sometimes. I normally aim to do all maintenance on Thursday night, but if I things get busy I defer to the weekend.
(I don’t count feeding as maintenance, but that happens every day or two)
This is one of the deferred weeks, but for a good reason this time. Water change station got buried while setting up a second tank. Tonights activity is tidying up and getting that water heated for sometime tomorrow.
Maintenance is currently pretty easy for me. Change the water once a week and wipe off salt creep. Every few weeks I throw a filter sock on overnight and siphon any detritus that may be collecting.
Thinking I will be starting to dose kalk soon. Will have to wait and see how my schedule is affected by adding testing and dosing to it.

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do little things whenever needed. I change 35g usually on every other Monday along with filter socks and skimmer cup which are weekly I then pump RODI from the 40g barrel into the other 40g barrel and mix in the salt. While the salt is mixing the RODI system is replacing the 35g.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I always used to do water changes mostly on Sunday's when I was working.
Do it and all the other tasks that could be put off during the week.
Now I'm retired and it doesn't matter. I've found I don't keep the same regular schedule.

luisgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work from Monday to Friday. Weekends are my time to enjoy fish tanks!! I have four at home. Two reefs one planted and one with ciclids. Lot of enjoyment, not work...Water changes, cleaning glass, fragging, adjusting equipment, some rum and coke, music, excersize, look at my garden, enjoy the sun, no snow in Puerto Rico, etc. :cool::);)

20200229_154922.jpg 20200209_175352.jpg

Astronomical

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My career is far from 9 to 5 Monday through Friday so I voted other. I usually do tank fun and maintenance on my weekend which occurs on whatever days or nights I happen to have off. I try to keep my days off somewhat spaced out throughout the month anyway so that helps the tank stay consistent.

Chobits

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have never done so little maintenance since we switched from fresh water Discus tank to a reef tank. Haven’t done water change in 6 months. We test basic Po4, Na, Kh, Ca and Mg every Friday morning and adjust according to test results. Do an ICP test every other month.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to do water changes on Thursdays specifically not to interfere with the weekend. If you got a wife who knows what she's got planned for the weekend that you don't know about yet. Last thing I want to hear is "oh you've got time for that" after I've declined putting on a new roof or whatever she had planned for me.

Itsadeepbluesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my tank tasks are done on the weekend with the exception of the protein skimmer skimmate cup which is done PRN. It's more due to a lack of time during the week.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the Summer I work 14 -16 hours a day 5 or 6 days a week. There is no time other than my weekend to do maintenance on my tank. I mix a month's worth of saltwater at the beginning of each month. I do 20% weekly water changes. The day before waterchange I blast all of my rocks and turn up the flow. I clean my skimmer right after the waterchange and I clean one pump every week. I also top off everything I dose on my weekend as well. The only thing I have issues with is filling my ATO reservoir. My tank goes through about 7 gallons a week but the ATO res is only 5.

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunday’s usually 2x a month for me. Tank is still new and only 2 clowns so bioload is pretty low for me. I do daily checks of everything: skimmer, water level to ensure ato is working properly, heater temps etc. I change socks weekly.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing and Cleaning usually on weekends, not to imply I do that every weekend. I've also started changing a little water out daily instead of big WC weekends. Find I do a better cleaning job, more often if there's not a bucket lug chore.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My job is evenings and my days off are random so I don't have a weekend to speak of. Thursday are water changes, Wednesdays are testing days, and everything else just gets done when it needs done.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks get more maintenance when the weather outside is nasty.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back