Biggest Little Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
71pA4OBzuXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

JUST KIDDING! JUST KIDDING!

But let me be honest, I started with the API Reef Master Test Kit thinking it was a good deal. Don't waste your money!

After realizing it wasn't worth a penny, I set out to find the BEST test kit for each individual parameter. Here's what I use today and I would recommend all of them:

SALINITY: Hanna Salinity Tester
ALKALINITY: Hanna Alkalinity Checker
CALCIUM: Red Sea Calcium Pro Test Kit
MAGNESIUM: Red Sea Magnesium Pro Test Kit
NITRATE: NYOS Nitrate Reefer Test Kit
PHOSPHATE: Hanna Phosphate ULR Checker

I don't test PH (even though I should) because I just haven't found a well-rated product. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

But let me be honest, I started with the API Reef Master Test Kit thinking it was a good deal. Don't waste your money!

After realizing it wasn't worth a penny, I set out to find the BEST test kit for each individual parameter. Here's what I use today and I would recommend all of them:

I don't test PH (even though I should) because I just haven't found a well-rated product. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them.
Which Hanna salinity tester are you referring to? The digital refractometer (discontinued, I believe) or the conductivity based salinity meter?

I am curious if you have any thoughts on Milwaukee digital refractometer.

guylaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity - Hanna + Refractometer
Ph - Hanna
Alk - Hanna
Po4 - Hanna
Ca - Red Sea
Nitrate - Red Sea
Mg - Red Sea

I really prefer getting an actual number from a digital read out than looking at a chart or color palate.

That being said the Hanna Calcium and Nitrate checkers are way to intricate so I use Red Sea.

Biggest Little Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Hanna salinity tester are you referring to? The digital refractometer (discontinued, I believe) or the conductivity based salinity meter?

I am curious if you have any thoughts on Milwaukee digital refractometer.
I use this one :

I actually just got it and love the convenience, especially for checking salinity of freshly mixed saltwater before it goes into the tank. The only problem I’m experiencing right now is it’s testing 3-4ppt lower than my refractometer (Amazon). So I’ve either been running my reef tank at 30ppt for the last year or the Hanna salinity tester is off. Haven’t been able to figure out which one is right yet, but I would think the Hanna tester is right.

I have not used Milwaukee

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did a review on testers and their consensus was:
Calcium: Red Sea
Alkalinity: Hanna
Mag: Aqua Forest
Nitrate: NYOS
Phosphate: Hanna (in my notes I don't see that they recommended this, but it's a solid choice)
Yeah, I liked that video but after a long time using NYOS for Nitrates, I have to say it is absolutely terrible for the average reefer. It's fine, and may be the best for very low Nitrates.
But when your Nitrates get high - and not really that high for lps and certainly not too high for soft corals - their color comparator is a JOKE!!

Their color shows orange while the test vial is still yellow but way too deep to match any of the yellow colors on their chart! Are you kidding me? After maybe a year and a half I got sick of playing "Which color orange is closest to my yellow?" I read about it and Salifert has been great for me so far.

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not a kit but well worth the investment - American Marine, Inc. Pinpoint monitor. When the prove goes bad get the Neptune. I tried the BRS ones twice and regretted it. My Neptune has lasted twice as long as one of the BRS probes. Can't wait to hook up my new Apex! I'm trying to wait for my new tank, though. I'm starting cycling Marco Rock tonight and want to wait at least 4 months.

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk - Trident now, was using Hanna Checker
CA - Trident now, was using Salifert
Mg - Trident now, was using Salifert
NO3 - Nyos
PO4 - Hanna ULR Checker
PH - Apex

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this one :

I actually just got it and love the convenience, especially for checking salinity of freshly mixed saltwater before it goes into the tank. The only problem I’m experiencing right now is it’s testing 3-4ppt lower than my refractometer (Amazon). So I’ve either been running my reef tank at 30ppt for the last year or the Hanna salinity tester is off. Haven’t been able to figure out which one is right yet, but I would think the Hanna tester is right.

I have not used Milwaukee
Refractometers are super sketchy. Depends on the light you use but more important and much worse the angle at which your eye views the scale. You can change the angle of your line of sight and see the line go up and down with it. Eventually got the Milwaukee. It's wonderful.

guylaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the dip and lick method. I dip my finer and lick it. Yup its salty.
D
When I was in college and in the field for a class or lab work my friends and I would do that and try to see who got the closest to the actual SG using a refractometer.

Once you get higher than 15-20 it all tastes the same haha

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I followed the BRS recommendations.

The only one I am not convinced with is the Aquaforest Mg test. In particular, I am having trouble with the dropper bottles' inconsistency with their droplet size (often you get a 'half' drop). This results in me having to discard more tests than I would like to.

I've only used the NYOS nitrate test once but, so far, I like it.

Backer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the recommended Hanna phosphate tester for softie/LPS mixed reef? And what is the recommended phosphate level for that type of mixed reef?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the recommended Hanna phosphate tester for softie/LPS mixed reef? And what is the recommended phosphate level for that type of mixed reef?

I was wondering this, went for the 774 as it covered zero to 0.9, you wouldn't want p04 higher really.
Just picked it up today, got the reading I was expecting so happy with that.

I would aim for under 0.1

Backer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That's what I was thinking also. The phosphorus checker h736 only reads up to .0613 ppm and I like that the hi774 reads up to .9

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones you find easiest to use. Myself I use:

API for Alkalinity and pH
Elos and Nyos for PO4 and Nitrate.
Read Sea for Magnesium and Nitrate
Old school glass hydrometer along with float type hydrometer and Hanna for salinity (salinity standards can change over time unless they are in sealed packets like Hanna, so replace frequently)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back