Best test kits for each parameter

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am starting to add more and more corals and by doing that I have been researching on parameters and when to start two part dosing. I would like to know what are the best test kits for the parameters that will be listed below. I currently have salifert for P.H., Phosphate, nitrate, alk, and calcium. I don’t have magnesium yet. And if you recommend any other parameters please let me know.

P.H.
Phosphate
Nitarate
Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium

I have api for ammonia and nitrite but my tank has been up for a while so I know it’s not as important.

OP
OP
xnaz

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert for mag, cal nitrate ammonia
Hanna for phos and alk

Ph is good to have but not not really nessasary to have however I bought a cheap PH tester off ebay and does the trick not really chasing numbers was wondering what it was at.
Ok yeah it seems that everyone is set on Hannah for phos and alk. And good thing I have some of the salifert to last me a bit longer. Thanks for the reply.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did a review on testers and their consensus was:
Calcium: Red Sea
Alkalinity: Hanna
Mag: Aqua Forest
Nitrate: NYOS
Phosphate: Hanna (in my notes I don't see that they recommended this, but it's a solid choice)
As above recommended but 5 different test kits of different brands.. but everyone is different on what they like. All have good reputation for a reasonable test result. But its always just a guide will never be accurate to a T.

OP
OP
xnaz

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above recommended but 5 different test kits of different brands.. but everyone is different on what they like. All have good reputation for a reasonable test result. But its always just a guide will never be accurate to a T.
Yeah I know I wish it was lol but I’ve been watching all the individual vids and getting a good idea of what I want. Great recommendation. Thanks.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Me too. May be someday. Anyway I use Hanna for alk and Hanna phosphorus ulr for phosphate. I think any test kit would work for all other parameters. It won’t make much of a difference.

OP
OP
xnaz

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too. May be someday. Anyway I use Hanna for alk and Hanna phosphorus ulr for phosphate. I think any test kit would work for all other parameters. It won’t make much of a difference.
Ok thanks I’ll take that into consideration.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap online pH testers may/will fail or give you false readings. Either pony up for an expensive one, use one with your controller, or don't bother with one at all.
I tried the Salifert pH test kit and it was useless.

For the Big 3 I like Salifert, plus their NH3 and NO2 and NO3
PO4 and Copper I use Hanna ULR and LR colorimeters

OP
OP
xnaz

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap online pH testers may/will fail or give you false readings. Either pony up for an expensive one, use one with your controller, or don't bother with one at all.
I tried the Salifert pH test kit and it was useless.

For the Big 3 I like Salifert, plus their NH3 and NO2 and NO3
PO4 and Copper I use Hanna ULR and LR colorimeters
What is a good P.H. Tester in your opinion.

alpha199

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using the Salifert Nitrite and Nitrate. It is a really easy to use kit.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did a review on testers and their consensus was:
Calcium: Red Sea
Phosphate: Hanna (in my notes I don't see that they recommended this, but it's a solid choice)

I agree with all these with the exception of the Hanna for PO4, if money is an issue or you are not going sps, I would say something like the Red Sea pro PO4 test kit or Nyos will be more than fine, they will give results so you know you are under .1, these tests do fall short if you want to know exactly where you are at under .1 though.
Saying that I will probably give Hanna a try just to get it out of my system p, have a feeling I will regret it.

tkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the following test kits. Normally, I test Ca, Alk and Mag. But everyone has there own preference in test kits and works best for them.

Calcium: Hanna
Phosphate: Hanna
PH: Apex probe

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back