Best TIPS and ADVICE for taking good pictures of aquarium, coral and fish!

How good at aquarium photography do you think you are?

• Excellent

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Good

Votes: 40 15.2%
  • Average

Votes: 99 37.6%
  • Poor

Votes: 90 34.2%
  • The Worst

Votes: 27 10.3%

• Total voters

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It gets easy when you have a fish that likes to pose for photoshoots. I went with "Good" Pixel 4a

goby pearch.jpg
Top.jpg
capriconis (2).jpg

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we continue on with this week's Aquarium Photography and Video theme let's start a topic that hopefully will benefit those who are learning to take better photos!

What are some TIPS and ADVICE you would share with someone who wants to learn to take better aquarium photos? SHARE AT LEAST ONE THING!

We also have some amazing articles on aquarium photography here!
image via article by @maroun.c here
Screenshot 2022-05-10 at 10-47-27 Your Guide to Aquarium Photography #4 - Shooting with a DSLR...png
Buy a kit on Amazon for taking pictures of aquariums. Comes with different color lenses that you just clip over the camera on your phone. Pick the best lense and clip it on your phone. Does a good job.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still rather new to photography but I have been learning.
  • Take your time as you might need to take 100s of photos before you get the "shot"
  • Take aquarium side pictures perpendicular or straight on to your aquarium glass or acrylic when possible. When you take pictures from an angle to glass or acrylic it will create distortions in the image.
  • Top Down shots turn the pumps off, use a viewing box, or use a porthole for camera lens
  • Don't be afraid of manual camera mode. Take some time to learn F-Stop, Shutter Speed, ISO, white balance to see how they change your photos. Then experiment with these settings with test photos to find what you like.
  • For fish auto focus works well for fast moving fish or free hand pictures but for corals a tripod and manual focus makes all the difference.
  • Lighting - I don't use a flash but I do use flashlights and light rings. The first photo below I was holding a flashlight above the stereonepthea. You can create some cool effects with lighting
  • Basic photo editing - GIMP is a great free editor
  • You don't need a professional level camera to take good pictures. I worked up to a high end camera but I still take great pictures with my phone
  • Remember to have fun taking pictures
Tripod Picture at night through the glass holding a flashlight above the coral
PinkSTN.jpg

Top down shot through an avastmarine portal with 90mm macro lens - manual focus
DSC00340.jpg

DSC00347.jpg

DSC00608L.jpg

20200918_152048.jpg

Cell Phone picture
20220325_200127.jpg

Cell Phone picture
20220417_205600.jpg
How close to the subject do you have to be with the Avast and macro lens? Thanx.

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to salute the humility of the audience here and their voting.

I voted Poor, because I'm better than the people taking out of focus shots through salt creep stained glass.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How close to the subject do you have to be with the Avast and macro lens? Thanx.
It really depends on the lens/camera. My 90mm macro has a minimum focus distance of 11". So with the avast on I will dip the lens into the water enough to frame the shot i am looking for ( just dont dip the lens too deep to overflow the avast porthole). Of course you can always move the distance out further depending on how you want to frame the shot.

reptireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't think you need a macro lens to take good photos, of course it helps. Here's a tip for anyone with a zoom lens that doesn't want to break the bank on a macro lens, search for macro adapters for your model camera, this will allow you to get as close as a few inches to the coral instead of the 2-3 feet away that traditional lens' focus to, practically turning any lens into a macro.

DSC01688.jpg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to know the best Samsung camera pro settings, I have the lenses although because I have standard float glass maybe that makes it harder as well
I go in pro mode and keep toggling and adjusting in the settings until I think it looks good. But my pics still don't look sharp for whatever reason. They have that green hue so I know it's focused.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

RUKelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still rather new to photography but I have been learning.
  • Take your time as you might need to take 100s of photos before you get the "shot"
  • Take aquarium side pictures perpendicular or straight on to your aquarium glass or acrylic when possible. When you take pictures from an angle to glass or acrylic it will create distortions in the image.
  • Top Down shots turn the pumps off, use a viewing box, or use a porthole for camera lens
  • Don't be afraid of manual camera mode. Take some time to learn F-Stop, Shutter Speed, ISO, white balance to see how they change your photos. Then experiment with these settings with test photos to find what you like.
  • For fish auto focus works well for fast moving fish or free hand pictures but for corals a tripod and manual focus makes all the difference.
  • Lighting - I don't use a flash but I do use flashlights and light rings. The first photo below I was holding a flashlight above the stereonepthea. You can create some cool effects with lighting
  • Basic photo editing - GIMP is a great free editor
  • You don't need a professional level camera to take good pictures. I worked up to a high end camera but I still take great pictures with my phone
  • Remember to have fun taking pictures
Tripod Picture at night through the glass holding a flashlight above the coral
PinkSTN.jpg

DSC00340.jpg

DSC00347.jpg

DSC00608L.jpg

20200918_152048.jpg

Cell Phone picture
20220325_200127.jpg

Cell Phone picture
20220417_205600.jpg
Thank you for sharing some excellent photog info.

drmdvl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the tips above - these are some of the things that help me
*Fast Macro Lens (not required)
*Fast Focusing System (not required)
*Turn off auto mode and use the appropriate manual settings for your subject, if fast moving you're likely going to need a high ISO to accomodate a fast shutter speed, if shooting still or slower moving objects you can relax your ISO and shutter speed.
*Tripod
*A longer focal length will usually compress your subject and and will be more pleasing to the eye - just like people - think portrait mode and not landscape. If you use a giant wide lens you will get a distorted subject. A longer focal length will also allow you to setup further away from the tank making skiddish subjects more comfortable to swim about.
*Get your subject's eye in focus
*Shoot in raw if possible
*Practice on a static objects in the tank first to develop your technique
*The beauty of digital photography is you can take hundreds of shots for one keeper and delete the rest.
*Dont forget that a majority of those jaw dropping photos you see are not right out of camera.

What I consider a fun portrait of my Kole Tang - nothing too fancy but nothing too hard to achieve. Theres a lot of uncontrolled chromatic abberation in this photo created by trying to get the color balance right.

51030476063_96d7f49b39_c.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back