Best urchins for clean up/algae?

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which are the best urchins to keep the tank/glass/rock clear of algae, that won’t absolutely wreak havoc on any small coral thag might be in there (leathers attached to the rocks etc organically, no plugs) worried about them being irreparably damaged.

I heard blue tuxedo potentially?

Thank you!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer a standard rose urchin for algae. I also really like the black longspine urchins but after getting stuck a few times when not being careful moving hands around tank I stopped getting those lol.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer a standard rose urchin for algae. I also really like the black longspine urchins but after getting stuck a few times when not being careful moving hands around tank I stopped getting those lol.
Hahaha yeah I don’t want to be prodded but thankfully I have some thick arm length gloves so I believe they’ll be adequate enough protection.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha yeah I don’t want to be prodded but thankfully I have some thick arm length gloves so I believe they’ll be adequate enough protection.

Ya something like a rose urchin is fine in any case they are easily handled without getting poked. Would have to try pretty hard to get hurt by them really.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya something like a rose urchin is fine in any case they are easily handled without getting poked. Would have to try pretty hard to get hurt by them really.
Can’t seem to find a rose urchin on the website, is it one of these by a different name?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t seem to find a rose urchin on the website, is it one of these by a different name?

Sorry ya I just using the common name my wholesalers use, but the ones I am referring to would be these.

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id go with the short spine, specifically the Echinometra sp. Very hardy and does not eat corals in my experience. Eats algae and detritus nonstop. I had issues with long spine urchins and different types of shrimp being aggressive toward it. The only negative to the short spine I have is that it is remarkably strong and can knock over big pieces of rock work if the rocks aren't very well secured. These urchins do eat coraline algae though but I haven't seen it become a problem, its interesting because from what I can tell, they eat the coraline and pass it through their system and release it as what looks like glowing orange sand as I believe it reacts with oxygen inside their bodies, I could be wrong, but its cool!

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tuxedo and a standard pin cushion. The tuxedo is my favorite because it's smaller and doesn't steal things as much, but the pin cushion is the work horse; scrapes down to fresh rock where ever it goes. It absolutely bulldozes though and can knock even mounted frags down. The tux tends to stay on the back wall glass.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tuxedo and a standard pin cushion. The tuxedo is my favorite because it's smaller and doesn't steal things as much, but the pin cushion is the work horse; scrapes down to fresh rock where ever it goes. It absolutely bulldozes though and can knock even mounted frags down. The tux tends to stay on the back wall glass.
Don’t think I have enough space for two in a 45 gallon? I feel like they’ll smack into each other or struggle fighting each other for food.

I’ll go with the tuxedo I think. I would like the rock to be stripped clean but the leathers are attached by their actual organics/stalk and not by any plugs so it’ll damage it if it rips through it or something.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back