Best Variety of Foods for My Clownfish

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My Clownies are just a few day into new tank and have been only feeding them frozen brim shrimp. They seem to love it but I want to add pellets or flakes to their diet.

Looking for suggestions for either other frozen food, flakes and pellets. Any recommendations?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like ocean nutrition prime reef flakes and ME flakes. I pinch them into the water so that they float around under the surface. For pellets, I feed seaweed extreme by hikari. Flakes are nice as they can't be too big for the fish like a pellet can

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LRS Reef or Fertility Frenzy, clam on half shell, black worms, and NLS or TDO pellets (Otohime is a proven pellet brand too, but it seems to have fallen out of favor somewhat in recent months/years).

Enriched Rotifers and pods/BBS are always good to add in too - especially live (and you would need these to rear any clownfish larvae anyway if you wanted fo breed them).

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like ocean nutrition prime reef flakes and ME flakes. I pinch them into the water so that they float around under the surface. For pellets, I feed seaweed extreme by hikari. Flakes are nice as they can't be too big for the fish like a pellet can
Sorry but what are ME flakes, as I am unable to find them online? Also, what is your feeding schedule? How do you alternate?

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LRS Reef or Fertility Frenzy, clam on half shell, black worms, and NLS or TDO pellets (Otohime is a proven pellet brand too, but it seems to have fallen out of favor somewhat in recent months/years).

Enriched Rotifers and pods/BBS are always good to add in too - especially live (and you would need these to rear any clownfish larvae anyway if you wanted fo breed them).
Appreciate the variety! How you schedule these into their diet?

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you mean Blood Worms?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
visit your LFS and buy one of everything, more variety is always better.

I feed veggie flakes, roe, freshly hatched baby bribe shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, frozen spirulina enhanced brine shrimp, frozen mysis, frozne cyclops, reef frenzy, pellets. If I ever see anything I dont have, I buy it.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
home made frozen!! I go to the asian supermarket, load up on variety and use the USED coffee grinder and freeze back flattened in ziplock bags

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed TDO chromoboost, NLS algae max, and regular NLS pellets in the AM. Then at night I feed a mix of the same pellets, as well as PE mysis, and a small chunk of LRS reef frenzy.

I stopped making my homemade as fresh seafood is hard to come by in my neck of the woods, and even harder since covid.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed the TDO pellets in my auto feeder then supplement with some of the other Reef Nutrition bottled products.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the variety! How you schedule these into their diet?
I don’t yet - no tank at the moment (unfortunately). This is a mix of foods that I've seen people use successfully to breed their clowns. One of the schedules I've seen people use though is to feed the frozen (LRS foods) twice daily - once in the morning, once in the evening - and one of the pellet brands (NLS or TDO) on an auto feeder three times daily with the black worms as an occasional snack.

Paul B here on R2R mentioned that he feeds his clowns just clams and black worms and they still spawn, but I'm not sure what his feeding schedule is.
Do you mean Blood Worms?
No, bloodworms are a different species (the feeder bloodworms used in aquaria are from the taxonomic family Chironomidae - the midge flies). Blackworms/California blackworms are Lumbriculus variegatus.

Some other common feeders in the hobby are White worms (Enchytraeus albidus), Grindal worms (Enchytraeus buchholzi), and Micro worms (typically Panagrellus redivivus, but this is sometimes also used to refer to Anguillula silusiae).

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased Ocean Nutrition Prime Red flakes and Hikari Seaweek Extreme pellets to start off.
So now I have a variety of froze , flakes and pellets.

Happy fish, happy tank!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly, a good-quality pellet or flake food is a decent bet for clowns. Frozen brine shrimp are best only as treats, as adult brine shrimp aren't terribly nutritious.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
' in my opinion '
The more variety the better in later stages/as they grow but as these guys are young/ new to your aquarium I would just stick to 'hikari marine S ' they are very small and you can also pinch pellets and twist your fingers to turn more powdery, easier for them to pick at,
You only need a couple of pellets though maybe 4 max :)

Do you have any pics of your clown fish?

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I feed my fishes a trio of frozen food blend. 1/3 Rod's Original, 1/3 Frozen mysis, 1/3 Frozen brine, a tiny pinch of reef roids. The frozen pieces are soaked with selcon as well. my fish goes nuts at feeding time.

Driceftw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
TDO on auto feeder in am while at work and a mixture of lrs reef frenzy, PE mysis, and ocean nutrition marine cuisine after I get home.

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
' in my opinion '
The more variety the better in later stages/as they grow but as these guys are young/ new to your aquarium I would just stick to 'hikari marine S ' they are very small and you can also pinch pellets and twist your fingers to turn more powdery, easier for them to pick at,
You only need a couple of pellets though maybe 4 max :)

Do you have any pics of your clown fish?
Here are my two clownies!!

Attachments

• 941C6042-0BA9-4A79-BFA3-A07F48017DAD.jpeg
    941C6042-0BA9-4A79-BFA3-A07F48017DAD.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 38
  • A98F9009-C2E4-4C22-AEF4-63AC0A5999E1.jpeg
    A98F9009-C2E4-4C22-AEF4-63AC0A5999E1.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 28

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back