Best Wavemaker to Create a Wave Effect

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have 2 x Maxspect gyres but they don't really do much other than circulate the water, theres not much randomness and they just seem to clash water in the center and move the sand, I can't seem to get a wave effect like I see on YouTube with other peoples pumps, so I was just wondering what's the best pump to achieve this effect? My tank is 36" x 24"

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever someone asks for the "best" around here (pumps, wavemakers, lights, etc.), you'll get a bunch of opinions. You can't really concretely call something the best, for the most part.

Having said that, I run to MP40's on my 120g. The modes vary throughout the day, but one of the modes is a standing wave with rocks the entire contents of the tank back and forth. There isn't a dead spot in the tank. You see everything swaying left and right, with the corals in the mid-section of the tank getting hit with some very random action.

I love these pumps. Pricey? Yup! Worth it? So far I feel that they are.

OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever someone asks for the "best" around here (pumps, wavemakers, lights, etc.), you'll get a bunch of opinions. You can't really concretely call something the best, for the most part.

Having said that, I run to MP40's on my 120g. The modes vary throughout the day, but one of the modes is a standing wave with rocks the entire contents of the tank back and forth. There isn't a dead spot in the tank. You see everything swaying left and right, with the corals in the mid-section of the tank getting hit with some very random action.

I love these pumps. Pricey? Yup! Worth it? So far I feel that they are.
I understand, and when it comes to water moving, these maxspect are amazing, they literally move all of the water in the tank, but there's no customisation to them, just a set mode all day and that'a it. So whilst there's no deadspots, there's also no real movement, just one continuous gush of water. It just looks boring. I want random flow, waves etc

ReefChasers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have two wave pumps and you set them to Pulse Modes but give them different time steps you can get a pretty strong 'rocking' wave (the entire body of water is moving) or what they call a "standing" Wave, if that's what you are going for.

Gyre pumps arn't typically used to generate that type of flow, though. MP's could, or Neptune wavs!

ReefChasers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, and when it comes to water moving, these maxspect are amazing, they literally move all of the water in the tank, but there's no customisation to them, just a set mode all day and that'a it. So whilst there's no deadspots, there's also no real movement, just one continuous gush of water. It just looks boring. I want random flow, waves etc
You would use the Gyre in combination with other things. In my personal tank I would run a couple of gyres (it's pretty long) but am also running 2 mps and 2 wav pumps, so the combination is what brings the flow to life.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, and you can do all of that with the MP40's and the Mobius app. You can customize the pumps to your heart's content! If you run more than one, you can even have them doing different patterns, have them sync or async. Mine are programmed to change every two hours. Then during sunset, it goes down and is more calm through the night.

OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, and you can do all of that with the MP40's and the Mobius app. You can customize the pumps to your heart's content! If you run more than one, you can even have them doing different patterns, have them sync or async. Mine are programmed to change every two hours. Then during sunset, it goes down and is more calm through the night.
MP40's sound amaze but they're just sooo expensive, I don'r think I can justify £700 for two pumps

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'll second what a previous poster commented on. While you can do it with the MP series pumps (I've had them and done it) or even Jebao's power heads (done that too), by far, the easiest and most consistent wave pattern I ever got was with the Tunze wave box. The downside is it's pretty large and doesn't exactly add to the aesthetics of the tank.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a Wave the a Tunze wavebox is the way to go. I personally use a wave box in conjunction with other pumps but a wavebox will consistently deliver a visible standing wave where all of the water in the tank rocks back and forth. Just google some videos.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to try out one of the new Jebao smart units that has been upgraded and now works with the app and allows for programming of different modes throughout the day.

The old Jebao SOW series is now the MOW series with smart controller and app control.
The old Jebao SLW series is now the MLW series with smart controller and app control.

They now come with a new upgraded LCD smart controller and you can dowload an app to your phone to control and program them.

I'm hoping by pairing a new smart model with each of my older Jebao's, in Master/Slave mode, will allow all my old Jebao's to become "smart" now too.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 with a 3400 gph wave maker ,uniclife 3400 wave maker. It makes a 1.5 inch wave in my tank. Been on for 6 months no problems yet. 70 dollars. Amazon

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze wave box is the easiest way to get a good wave motion going in the aquarium. You can do it with other power heads but it is touchy to do and not as easy as the wavebox.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back