How to catch this damsel without moving everything
a38d706143a2b64b1c9d945ea487bc17.jpg

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it an aggressive eater? you might be able to just grab it with a net if it eats from you, i know i could several of my fish this way..

unfortunately the only fish i've ever wanted to catch to remove was my sixline and that little jerk refused to fall for the bottle trap method and never left the rocks even when i fed. had to drain most of the tank and remove the rocks to get him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty though. Your best bet is use 2 nets. 1 to chase, 1 to chase into. If you don’t get him in the first few minutes try another day. It’s not worth stressing and killing your livestock for a single damsel. Why do you want him out anyways? Once fish go in the DT assume they will never come out, it’s very difficult.

KSReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have removed 10-20 fish (mostly show size angels and triggers -non reef safe fish) using a clear container box (shoe box to 20 gal. size) from Home Depot or Lowes.

1) Get as big as a clear container box you can fit in your tank without disrupting too much. It may sound weird but using a bigger clear box will make them less nervous because they can freely move around in the clear box. Support it by resting it on rocks or some other means so it stays at the top of the tank - the box I used was a little buoyant too.

2) Cut a square in one end and drill 10-20 little holes (depending on the size of the box) in the back of the clear box for water movement.

3)Cut a slit in the lid for a piece of plastic or fish net to slide down and block the entrance hole you cut in the box - I cut from another clear box to get a piece big enough to cover the hole.

4) Put the lid back on and put it in your tank. Put food only in the box. It only took a day or two before the fish go in and out of the box. I wait until they are comfortable going in and out of the box before trapping them.

After feeding them, when they go in clear box, slide the fish net or piece of plastic down through the top to cover the hole. (Mine usually were afraid of the net blocking the hole and stayed towards the back of the box.)

FYI - you will spill water when removing the box so be ready. Drilling the holes in the back of the box higher towards the top will create less mess when removing. Tilt the box towards the back and there should be enough water in the box to remove it with the fish.

U

User1

View Badges
My recommendation is to call in the boys in blue, Air Force, and ask them to scramble a couple B-1's with a B61 ground burst strike package and your problem is solved.

On the other hand the practical thing to do is use a fish trap so you don't stress out any other tank mates. Usually works ok by placing food in the trap since Damsels are a bit curious and hungry. Not sure what Damsel type it is but not all are bad. In any case good luck!

U

User1

View Badges
Looks like a Dascyllus sp, like domino, etc.

Hook and line might be the easiest.

Didn't see it - only the clown so had to go back and see. yeah - domino sort of thing and can get large and a bully. Not like the more peaceful
Chrysiptera's

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish trap is the easiest. Remember that a hungry fish is much more gullible. There are several different routes to go with a trap for a fish of that size. The first is an easy dirt cheap method. Take an empty plastic water bottle (ie Aquafina) and cut the top off with a pair of scissors. Fold in the new open top of the bottle to create a narrow opening. Place some rocks, shells, substrate in the bottom along with some pellet food and submerge to the bottom of the tank. I prefer to stand the bottle upright as it's much easier to grab when the fish gets trapped and forces the fish to swim down in and make a quick vertical U-TURN and line up perfectly with the narrow opening to get out. Simply leave it for a while and wait for the curious and hungry fish to go down to the bottom of the trap. Have ziploc type bag nearby the tank and reach straight down and cover the opening with your hand and pull it straight out of the water. Dump the contents of the bottle into the ziploc bag along with the fish and take it to your LFS. I have used this method to successfully trap a Flame Angel and a smaller Red Head Salon Fairy Wrasse aka Solarensis Wrasse.

If not you can purchase something along the lines of a small fish trap and mount it to the rim of your tank. Leave the front door of the trap off for a few days and use a suction cup seaweed clip monted to the bottom of the inside of the trap. Use some seawed/nori and let it just hang out of the open part of the trap to lure the fish up to it. Over the course of a few days put the clip progressively further and further back into the trap as the fish get more and more comfortable with feeding from it. Once the desired fish is going all the way back to feed the add the door at an angle to the front of the trap to keep it propped up. Wait for the desired fish to swim to the back of the trap to feed and simply tap the door and it will close quickly trapping the fish in place. This method takes a few days to get the fish comfortable but is VERY EFFECTIVE. Used this to trap both a little snowflake occ clownfish and a Yellow Tang. Here is the trap I used:

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Fish Trap
2. Small hook and fishing line (be sure to pinch the barb on the hook so it can be easily removed without causing damage to the fish).
3. 2 Net technique and conduct an orchestra (lol) until you catch him
4. Remove as much water/rock you need to catch him
5. Put a giant angler fish and hope he eats him
6. If all of the above fail, bow head down in defeat and let the little devil stay in there

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, micro hook. He’ll be caught in seconds

Bottom ones in this link. I think it’s actually less stressful on the fish than even using a net because you aren’t chasing it all over for 30 mins. I’ve caught wrasses, damsels, angels, tangs, butterflies and cardinals with them

https://www.tenkarabum.com/micro-fishing-hooks.html

Freckles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hook worked perfect. Went to Cabela’s today in the fly fishing section and bought a number 22 hook and 2 pound test, came out to about $12. Tie the hook and hold it with some needle nose pliers and bait a mysis shrimp tail. Just target the damsel. He is so aggressive he almost jumps out of the water. He stole the bait the first four times and then fish on! Yanked him right out. All the rest of the fish in my tank came up to thank me.

8914A298-16DE-4CF3-8603-AB22BBF4DED1.jpeg

6DB71115-7F35-47A8-87A6-C1BF8A8DBA37.jpeg

F3BD578B-98B4-42C4-9C6C-B0A4E622C823.jpeg

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recommendation is to call in the boys in blue, Air Force, and ask them to scramble a couple B-1's with a B61 ground burst strike package and your problem is solved.

On the other hand the practical thing to do is use a fish trap so you don't stress out any other tank mates. Usually works ok by placing food in the trap since Damsels are a bit curious and hungry. Not sure what Damsel type it is but not all are bad. In any case good luck!

I was going to suggest a 12 gauge

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back