Best way to check appropriate tank settings?

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm upgrading to a 125 and in the course of researching what fish I'd like to have in addition to my existing animals, I've found tons of inconsistencies. My question is what source is the most reliable for appropriate tank sizes and tank mates for fish over the long term? My biggest concern is with tangs and Apolemichthys angels. Is having a stocking list reviewed still probably my best choice? Thanks, I'm starting to get frustrated!

OP
OP
revaltion131

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, how about this. What are your thoughts on these fish for a 125, 6' long, as a long-term home for them? I won't have all of these in the same tank, but if you want to comment on compatability, go ahead.

Blue Hippo Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
Atlantic Blue Tang (Acanthurus coeruleus)
Whitecheek Tang (Acanthurus nigricans)
Lemonpeel Mimic/Chocolate Tang (Acanthurus pyroferus)
I'm also interested in the tennenti, but I think that one will be too large for sure.

I would like to do two of those tangs, specifically the Blue Hippo and one of the smaller Acanthurus, with a Trimaculatus, Scribbled, or Regal angel. Besides the reef-safe issue of the angels and their possible difficulty, do you see any other issues? I only have one angel that will be going into the 125, no tangs, and it is a Potter's. If none of those fish will work, please recommend me another large (6-12") fish that isn't a Yellow Tang. Other Zebrasomas are fine, though.

Thank you!

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of those would be fine in a 125 but if you could do a 180 and you will have not worrys.

OP
OP
revaltion131

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, Joey. I'd love to go with a 180 (dream tank is a 240 8-footer) but it doesn't really work with the space I'm working with while the 125 is perfect for it. So, I get to choose the fish to fit the tank and not the other way around.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of tang for a 125, especially when they mature, and I'm not sure they'll all get along. I would do some research on the Atlantic Blue tang in terms of hardiness in an aquarium.
Gary

OP
OP
revaltion131

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, it's only going to be two tangs. Is that still too much?

I have found inconsistencies on the viability of the Atlantic Blue, even on the same webpages. WWM has it listed under the "Best, or ones that usually live" or similar title, but several instances on the FAQs had the crew member contradicting that and being rather rude about it. I haven't come up with anything major against the fish on forums, just mainly posts with people that have it in their tanks, nothing about difficulty of it. Do you have any experience that you can share or good pages to search?

What I've found suggests that the mimic is the easiest of the listed, followed by the hippo, Atlantic, Tennenti, and then Whitecheek at the bottom.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back