Best way to Clean Live Rock?

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of doing MA but I hear that it is very hazardous
I used muriatic acid to clean a bunch of old dead rocks for my 55g restart. I used a large rubbermaid garbage pail, wore long chemical resistant gloves, mask and goggles. I put all the rock in garbage can, put enough water to cover the rocks and slowly added the muriatic acid. I let the muriatic acid do it's thing for about an hour. I then used a box of baking soda to stop the process. I turned on the hose and rinsed everything for about 30 to 40 minutes. Took the rock out and laid it on the driveway and sprayed some more. I let it dry on my deck for 3 days and put it in my tank to start cycling. I was amazed how clean the rock came out. It was pretty gross and smelled awful before that. I would do it again in a heartbeat. First pic shows the start of the muriatic acid. At the end it was very dark and full of gunk. Next 2 pics are of the rocks all clean and ready for the tank.

20170725_210548.jpg

20170726_171218.jpg

20170726_220107.jpg

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the cooking method. However it can/might take a loonng time. I still have some pretty old Haitian I cooked"in darkened barrels. It took over 9 months to get Po4& No3 levels close to zero. It came out nice & clean & so far after a year is algae free.

bottspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which method would work best to get rid of vermetid’s? As a newbie I foolishly purchased a tank with live rock that had been extremely neglected. Tank is now 2years old and I am still having phosphate and critter problems.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of doing MA but I hear that it is very hazardous

I agree with the other guy. It's no more hazardous than bleach. Just don't do it on your patio unless you want that clean too.

I was a pool guy for a few years. I did plenty of acid washes and managed to survive.

Alfredo De La Fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through this. Best way to keep coraline alive but kill pests is to put it in a rubbermaid with salt water without circulation for 2-3 days. Everything will die and all worms will come out of the rock. Change the water, rinse out each rock in freshwater and put into new saltwater, add two powerheads and let sit 3 days for the ensuing mini-cycle. My rock now has nothing but the coraline and bacteria alive.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through this. Best way to keep coraline alive but kill pests is to put it in a rubbermaid with salt water without circulation for 2-3 days. Everything will die and all worms will come out of the rock. Change the water, rinse out each rock in freshwater and put into new saltwater, add two powerheads and let sit 3 days for the ensuing mini-cycle. My rock now has nothing but the coraline and bacteria alive.
Rock is already dead, just wan t to get it cleaned

Will Milberger

Aggie Aquarist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

Alfredo De La Fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If rock is dead, soak in chlorox and water overnight, scrub off any organic matter with a brush, rinse in freshwater then cure in a tub with saltwater and power heads. Should be good to go in a week to the point that it stops spiking ammonia and nitrates.

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking if rock has been dry then all coraline will be dead too. Am i right on this, idk.

Slarti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the cooking method. However it can/might take a loonng time. I still have some pretty old Haitian I cooked"in darkened barrels. It took over 9 months to get Po4& No3 levels close to zero. It came out nice & clean & so far after a year is algae free.

+1 for the above. Having not used bleach or MA before I can't compare results but I do know doing it this way cleans out all the pores deep down and the rocks come up fresh looking. The most amazing thing about 'cooking' (and can't stress enough, we not talking an oven or any heat here!) was the amount of gunk you would get at the bottom of the container on every water change. You would think surely there can't be more but lo and behold, it is there next time. At the end though it is not the quick solution people want these days but if you prepared to do it very satisfying.

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach it... if not satisfied after that then MA. I have a few rocks ill be doing something like this too. I plan on running through a good curing process with a reactor of gfo to try to remove all po4 and no3 from the rocks afterwards. Good luck and Keep on Reefin'

Transporter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was just me, but I soaked mine for a week in straight white vinegar, then took it out and soaked in RODI for 3 days, then soaked in bleach water ( 1 gallon bleach to 10 gallons of RODI) for 5 days. The rock was like brand new... only a little less heavy, and a LOT more surface area.

Also, I had my spare return pump running inneach stage.

legalreefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Will this kill aptasia?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back