Best way to farm pods?

Michael W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to start my first saltwater tank (IM NUVO 20 Nano and I am looking for a good way to keep a pod colony going in my tank for my invertebrates, and the possibility of a mandarin (I know they're extremely picky eaters so a mandarin would not be my first fish at all). I think I may be able to create a small refugium in the back part of the tank, but anything outside of the tank I have little to no knowledge about. Help and experience with pods would be greatly appreciated.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pdisner has all the answers on getting a pod farm going. He's done a lot of reading on the topic...and if you want a healthy...the key word is healthy pod colony he might be able to give you some info!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For me, chaeto under red or bright blue lights and phytoplankton added every 2-3 days for food source.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, chaeto under red or bright blue lights and phytoplankton added every 2-3 days for food source.
You only use chaeto when you’re trying to culture copepods. Culturing pods you’ll only need a 5gal bucket, saltwater and open end airline with just a few bubbles going. I also have a copepod harvester I made to collect the nauplii for breeding some fish which is working out great. I’m not so sure about the red and blue lights unless your trying to grow chaeto and amphipods. Copepods need a more stagnet environment. Make sure that you’re feeding the right species of phyto, they all don’t eat the same thing. Research is the key.

OP
OP
Michael W.

Michael W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only use chaeto when you’re trying to culture copepods. Culturing pods you’ll only need a 5gal bucket, saltwater and open end airline with just a few bubbles going. I also have a copepod harvester I made to collect the nauplii for breeding some fish which is working out great. I’m not so sure about the red and blue lights unless your trying to grow chaeto and amphipods. Copepods need a more stagnet environment. Make sure that you’re feeding the right species of phyto, they all don’t eat the same thing. Research is the key.

Could this type of setup be created below my tank in the IM stand? It sounds pretty simple...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Could this type of setup be created below my tank in the IM stand? It sounds pretty simple...
Red and blue light is for purpose of Chaeto, yes. I have heard of bucket method and yes can be set below your stand

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Let’s not confuse everyone. The lights as mentioned are for growing the chaeto to keep the AMPHIpods growing. They eat decaying organic matter, whatever that might be. That’s why they can be found inland under leaves and in estuary areas, etc. I’m gathering up a lot of amphipod research and the best ways to culture.
But for now, we are talking copepods, correct? Most filter feeders can be cultured in 5 gal buckets. I have a ton of fun growing an learning about planktonic organisms. They can make the difference in the survival of a fish from egg to larvae. I had a few PDFs that I’ve been sharing with everyone and plan to make a thread as a few have requested. All the info is out there, you just have I look for it. Be careful of anecdotal advice. I only source my info from aquatic journals and pier reveiewed pubs. That way you get the best info and you’re not wondering if you’re wastining your time! Give me a PM and I’ll send you a few papers on copepod culturing.

OP
OP
Michael W.

Michael W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s not confuse everyone. The lights as mentioned are for growing the chaeto to keep the AMPHIpods growing. They eat decaying organic matter, whatever that might be. That’s why they can be found inland under leaves and in estuary areas, etc. I’m gathering up a lot of amphipod research and the best ways to culture.
But for now, we are talking copepods, correct? Most filter feeders can be cultured in 5 gal buckets. I have a ton of fun growing an learning about planktonic organisms. They can make the difference in the survival of a fish from egg to larvae. I had a few PDFs that I’ve been sharing with everyone and plan to make a thread as a few have requested. All the info is out there, you just have I look for it. Be careful of anecdotal advice. I only source my info from aquatic journals and pier reveiewed pubs. That way you get the best info and you’re not wondering if you’re wastining your time! Give me a PM and I’ll send you a few papers on copepod culturing.

Thanks! Yeah definitely copepods right now, my goal is to have my tank at a point where I can introduce a mandarin without worrying. Quick question... How do you get the cultured copepods from the 5 gal bucket up to your display?

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yeah definitely copepods right now, my goal is to have my tank at a point where I can introduce a mandarin without worrying. Quick question... How do you get the cultured copepods from the 5 gal bucket up to your display?

I make these specially sized “ sieve” or strainer. If you want I can make you a nice set. It’s PVC and specific sized aquaculture mesh. Not expensive. I usually give away sets when someone buys a lot of pods from me. I’m not a business, I trade fish and shrimp for stuff I need to grow so that I can do this for a living. It’s hard but not a lot of competition in my area.
Enough about me, tell me what are your goals for your pods? Do you have a mandarin? Reason I ask is that I can pick out a species that will do well for your intended purpose. I don’t charge anything for that. I’m selling phytoplankton as well. It also is a cheap way to feed your reef. Think of all of the filter feeding organisms you may have in your tank. If its as abundant in nature, it should be so in your tank. I’ve notice some big differences. But shoot me back an email or my Facebook site would be a good place to start, just so u can see what I’ve been up to. Not trying to be egotistical, lol, but I got some great video and pics of the blennies, Bangaiis and clown gobies I’ve been working with. The clown gobies are giving me trouble but I have a constant supply of striped blennies. Check it out then shoot me a message. Tell me what you’d like to accomplish with them or feed to, size and type of tank and have you tried culturing before? If you don’t like face book send me ur email and I’ll send you a few good PDFs. I’ve also got a book that. I recommend to all my customers, I can get them at cost. It’s got a lot of useful info in it. My email is [email protected] or Facebook @PaulsPodsAZ

OP
OP
Michael W.

Michael W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make these specially sized “ sieve” or strainer. If you want I can make you a nice set. It’s PVC and specific sized aquaculture mesh. Not expensive. I usually give away sets when someone buys a lot of pods from me. I’m not a business, I trade fish and shrimp for stuff I need to grow so that I can do this for a living. It’s hard but not a lot of competition in my area.
Enough about me, tell me what are your goals for your pods? Do you have a mandarin? Reason I ask is that I can pick out a species that will do well for your intended purpose. I don’t charge anything for that. I’m selling phytoplankton as well. It also is a cheap way to feed your reef. Think of all of the filter feeding organisms you may have in your tank. If its as abundant in nature, it should be so in your tank. I’ve notice some big differences. But shoot me back an email or my Facebook site would be a good place to start, just so u can see what I’ve been up to. Not trying to be egotistical, lol, but I got some great video and pics of the blennies, Bangaiis and clown gobies I’ve been working with. The clown gobies are giving me trouble but I have a constant supply of striped blennies. Check it out then shoot me a message. Tell me what you’d like to accomplish with them or feed to, size and type of tank and have you tried culturing before? If you don’t like face book send me ur email and I’ll send you a few good PDFs. I’ve also got a book that. I recommend to all my customers, I can get them at cost. It’s got a lot of useful info in it. My email is [email protected] or Facebook @PaulsPodsAZ

Thanks! You seem like a great source for this kind of information. I actually do not have a saltwater setup up and running currently, it is in the works. I will be ordering the stand and tank hopefully soon (20 gal AIO) and I was looking for information on pods to see if I would be able to handle a mandarin in this tank. Now with that information you may say the tank is too small and I know it definitely would not be established enough yet but if tank size wouldn't be an issue then I can move on with the mandarin plan. Do you think a 20 gal would be big enough to sustain enough pods for a mandarin? It is not a necessity for my tank so if anything about this doesn't seem right for it then just let me know. They are really cool fish though so I hope I can make it work. It would be in the tank with two clowns and maybe a goby/shrimp pair so not too heavily stocked. I'll probably shoot you an email or keep your email for when I do start getting everything set-up, but for now I'm just seeing what I will be able to do with my tank.

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to start my first saltwater tank (IM NUVO 20 Nano and I am looking for a good way to keep a pod colony going in my tank for my invertebrates, and the possibility of a mandarin (I know they're extremely picky eaters so a mandarin would not be my first fish at all). I think I may be able to create a small refugium in the back part of the tank, but anything outside of the tank I have little to no knowledge about. Help and experience with pods would be greatly appreciated.

Best way to farm copepods is in a separate container. I use an air pump to create some bubbles in the water. Mixed diets do best. I feed spirulina powder, Brown algae Isochrysis galbana, and nannochloropsis, and BRS reef chili. The key is keeping the water clarity dense with a food source/phytoplankton. The Brown phytoplankton algae’s are probably the best to get good copepod populations.

I culture these in 1 gallon glass jars:

899E9B45-F073-44E0-97BF-E6070DCAA4F5.jpeg

8AFF43CA-791F-490C-9E78-4AB407983DA6.jpeg

4D85C274-CD54-4CEC-8ECC-7D760AE6D5FB.jpeg

OP
OP
Michael W.

Michael W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way to farm copepods is in a separate container. I use an air pump to create some bubbles in the water. Mixed diets do best. I feed spirulina powder, Brown algae Isochrysis galbana, and nannochloropsis, and BRS reef chili. The key is keeping the water clarity dense with a food source/phytoplankton. The Brown phytoplankton algae’s are probably the best to get good copepod populations.

I culture these in 1 gallon glass jars:

899E9B45-F073-44E0-97BF-E6070DCAA4F5.jpeg

8AFF43CA-791F-490C-9E78-4AB407983DA6.jpeg

4D85C274-CD54-4CEC-8ECC-7D760AE6D5FB.jpeg

How do you add your copepods to your tank once you need them?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a selfie of one if you are interested.

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you add your copepods to your tank once you need them?

I have 2 methods:

1. Use a turkey baster and suck them off the glass and squirt them in a cup and dump it into the reef tank.

2. Or I use a sieve and strain them. I have a 53 micron plankton collector from Florida Aqua Farms.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! You seem like a great source for this kind of information. I actually do not have a saltwater setup up and running currently, it is in the works. I will be ordering the stand and tank hopefully soon (20 gal AIO) and I was looking for information on pods to see if I would be able to handle a mandarin in this tank. Now with that information you may say the tank is too small and I know it definitely would not be established enough yet but if tank size wouldn't be an issue then I can move on with the mandarin plan. Do you think a 20 gal would be big enough to sustain enough pods for a mandarin? It is not a necessity for my tank so if anything about this doesn't seem right for it then just let me know. They are really cool fish though so I hope I can make it work. It would be in the tank with two clowns and maybe a goby/shrimp pair so not too heavily stocked. I'll probably shoot you an email or keep your email for when I do start getting everything set-up, but for now I'm just seeing what I will be able to do with my tank.

Mandarins as you probably know they can be trained to eat other things besides copepods. For example, Reed Mariculture has food that creates vivid colors and they make in many different sizes. The one female mandarin I have eats whatever. But my tanks are crawling with bugs. If you can try to order a book. It’s called The Plankton Culture Manual by Frank Hoff.
1ca6994f880b9c74c8f80ce4839c0d96.jpg

By understanding a little bit more you’ll be successful. Sometimes your cultures will crash. I use either live phytoplankton or a concentrate to feed my pods. Right now I’m working with Apex Pods. Apex would work nicely for you. They’re fairly easy to tanks care of and will multiply in you tank. But I always recommend a seperate culture to supplement the ones growing in your tank. Here’s the food
7e5221838a8a2db057d632e9530d3279.jpg

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 methods:

1. Use a turkey baster and suck them off the glass and squirt them in a cup and dump it into the reef tank.

2. Or I use a sieve and strain them. I have a 53 micron plankton collector from Florida Aqua Farms.

I make my own sieves. It’s a lot cheaper. I find that I use mine quite a bit.
40844abdbaa4bbf1c28b6f03630e53ec.jpg
you’ll need to make sure to use the appropriate size. For example, if I’m growing Apex pods and I want to collect the nauplii for fish larvae, I will stack them and it will seperate nicely. I’ve also made a passive harvester that I’m trying to refine, but it’s working nicely.
2ed444eff6e4d799e0453185c66c2aaf.jpg
d464348ec34ede24bbb6e508c79d8593.jpg

I have a pdf on how to make your own. It’s not complicated, but the info is very useful working with copepods. If anyone needs sieves I can make them a lot cheaper. Send me a PM if anyone wants all the info I’ve gathered since I’ve been dabbling with breeding. Ive been having great success by using Copepods for larval rearing. Journal studies have shown that copepods are packed with a lot of the essential fatty acids and carotenoids. Here’s a couple of my recen success.
879efc2e1a039592785c0abc1af23a89.jpg
2f7c52c2295a61bf947c29efdc589f5b.jpg
3fd814a1b45a6b920ef384d3fd3e491b.jpg

mr9iron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an awesome thread. I have been considering culturing copepods for a while as I want the biodiversity in my tank and would love to keep a mandrin as well.

OP
OP
Michael W.

Michael W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an awesome thread. I have been considering culturing copepods for a while as I want the biodiversity in my tank and would love to keep a mandrin as well.

I think every possible reefer at some point wants a mandarin, because what's not to like about them?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back