Best way to kill palys

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some captain jerk palys that made it onto my main rockwork from the "island" I made them. Whats the best way to rid myself of them without risking palytoxin exposure or nuking my tank? I am considering fragging them but it seems like alot of work to frag such cheap coral, doubt anyone in my area would want them. I'm hesitant to hit them with kalk paste for the sake of the aquariums other inhabitants.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some Texas trash palys that were attached to a large rock that had a duncan on it. I used hot vinegar on 3 or 4 every other day until they were all gone.

rcassiram521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some Texas trash palys that were attached to a large rock that had a duncan on it. I used hot vinegar on 3 or 4 every other day until they were all gone.
Silly question but how did you remove them or did you use a syringe to apply the vinegar as this is my fear that when removing them they will release toxin.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of forearm waterproof gloves and I've gone after pale green palys by snipping them with a pair of sharp scissors at their base.......

Best to snip, remove the disc immediately, then snip the 2nd one, get out quickly... blah blah... then once all out, go back by blanketing the tissues with kalk-paste or Aiptasia X

Last edited:

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure gloves are used and if it is outside of the tank, well ventilated with a mask and goggles just to be safe. I would think kalkwasser paste would kill them effectively in the tank as well, as long as the tank is large enough so there isnt an alkalinity swing

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back