Best way to lower and maintain Phosphates

JumpingFlea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What would you say is the best way to lower and maintain Phosphates? My phosphates were up to .31ppm in November, but it has been lowering when I added a phosphate remover media bag. It is now at .13ppm and is stuck there and now because of the eel, I'm afraid it will be harder to maintain. If this helps my nitrates are at 2.5ppm. Any suggestions?

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful with gfo. Start at half the recommended dose and slowly titrate up from there. I bottomed out my nutrients from overusing gfo and ended up with dinos.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once started with GFO...my nutrients bottomed out and I was stuck fighting dino's for months. I now have a relatively efficient fuge with cheato and I dose back in my preferred levels of nitrates and phosphates.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it also remove nitrate or does it only remove phosphate? I kind of have a hard time keeping up my nitates above 1ppm.
It only removes phosphate (and silica). For what it's worth, I'm probably going to go back to gfo since my phosphates are always high now. I just know now to start low and go slow and keep track of my phosphates.
ToAnother thing to consider is if your nitrates are too low, your phosphates will tend to be high as there isn't enough nitrate for algae and other organisms to utilize (the nitrate to phosphate balance is off) so the phosphate just sits there and rises and rises.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algea turf scrubber. Been running 40 watt red leds that took everything close to 0's then dinos. Went to a 28 watt red led and so far so good .04 phosphates at 4 nitrates hopefully it stays there.

Billys_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanthanum chloride works very well for me. When ever my PO4 creeps up to 0.2ppm I'll dose a certain amount and it lowers to 0.1ppm instantly. I do this every month or so

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my lfs has a gfo. Do they come in a certain size or is one size fits all kind of deal? Do I put the media that is in my bag in there or something else?

You can mix it in a fine bag with carbon (1/3 gfo) if you don't have a reactor.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also just put a small amount of gfo into a fine mesh bag and place it in the filter for a couple of days.

OP
OP
JumpingFlea

JumpingFlea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I took the gfo in mesh bag option and dosed Red Sea Algae Management. Sorry I didn’t update this thread.

The two parameters:

Nitate: .2 - almost undetectable which might be a problem

Phosphate: .07ppm

My Sps corals seem to be doing really good with new Sps growth and bright color. My LPS on the other hand are a bit mad. No growth but they are open. Also lobos are losing color and turning white. Soft corals are just fine. I increased fish feeding to raise nitrates.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use nopox. That lowers far more nitrate than phosphate.

You can dose aminos to feed corals and not raise phosphate.

OP
OP
JumpingFlea

JumpingFlea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a bit out of the blue but I am making some changes to my aquarium and I’m wondering if I should move my refugium from the second chamber to the first. The only problem is that it would be in the same chamber as my fleece roller. Thoughts?

Ntvper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a bit out of the blue but I am making some changes to my aquarium and I’m wondering if I should move my refugium from the second chamber to the first. The only problem is that it would be in the same chamber as my fleece roller. Thoughts?
Don’t….. why would you think changing that would be beneficial?

lelolai15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It only removes phosphate (and silica). For what it's worth, I'm probably going to go back to gfo since my phosphates are always high now. I just know now to start low and go slow and keep track of my phosphates.
ToAnother thing to consider is if your nitrates are too low, your phosphates will tend to be high as there isn't enough nitrate for algae and other organisms to utilize (the nitrate to phosphate balance is off) so the phosphate just sits there and rises and rises.
Hi, very interesting read here as I am combating similar issues with high phosphate levels. Any recommendations in better understanding the relationship between nitrate and phosphate (e.g articles, videos, charts, etc)?

Ntvper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard that the skimmer can remove the nutrients before it can get to the refugium making the refugium not work at its best.
True true my tank isn’t near ‘full’ enough to run my skimmer 24/7 especially with the fuge doing it job

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back