Best way to lower humidity in sum?

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I open cabinet to the sump, it feels humid. The sump cabinet has only a small opening to the back which is about 1feet x 2feet.

Should I attach a fan and have it blow from the inside of cabinet and aim it towards the opening?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I open cabinet to the sump, it feels humid. The sump cabinet has only a small opening to the back which is about 1feet x 2feet.

Should I attach a fan and have it blow from the inside of cabinet and aim it towards the opening?
both, I use a 12vdc fan sucking air out from my sump area. I use these coolerguys fans they last and work very well for the price, you may need an adapter to 120v depending on what you have already.

Coolerguys 12vDC Waterproof IP67 Fan (High Speed, 120x25mm) https://a.co/d/bke15tx

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Is there a reason you're concerned about a humid sump? It seems like more airflow would make the water evaporate quicker; thus, more ATO/top-off water is needed. Asking because I'm curious, not being difficult. :)

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason you're concerned about a humid sump? It seems like more airflow would make the water evaporate quicker; thus, more ATO/top-off water is needed. Asking because I'm curious, not being difficult. :)
humidity causes more issues than topping off a little extra water, plus some people increase evaporation to cool the system down or allow for more dosing of certain chemicals like kalkwasser. I run a dedicated dehumidifier to keep my house and fish room 45%-55/60% in Florida

humidity over 60% in most areas can cause mold growth

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm great point I don't have leaks or anything but some of the wood around my sump always seems... well like it's by open water lol. I'm sure short term it's fine but definitely could ruin structure over time. Will have to put a small fan down there.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm it "feels" like it would cause issues for the cabinet wood, and electronics?
your right, also after time if your cabinets are made of OSB or some other manufactured material they could begin to swell and lose structural integrity. I would go with your instincts and have some air movement in the cabinet , you could even put it on a timer and run it for 10min every hour or something like that.

Attachments

• 20240220_165312.jpg
    20240220_165312.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 36

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would sacrifice a little more ATO water to keep the sump ventilated mainly to avoid rust on and mildew buildup on the electronics which are in my sump, also would avoid mold growing.

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I run a dedicated dehumidifier to keep my house and fish room 45%-55/60% in Florida

Ohhh, I'll have to see if I can track the house humidity now that I have the 90g open top vs my 32g "sealed" BioCube.

Personally I would sacrifice a little more ATO water to keep the sump ventilated mainly to avoid rust on and mildew buildup on the electronics which are in my sump, also would avoid mold growing.

That's the information I was looking for. Thanks for sharing with this Newbie! :)
you could even put it on a timer and run it for 10min every hour or something like that.

Great idea! Now that I'm running most of my reef equipment on Kasa power strips, I have a ton of WeMo smart outlets that allow such scheduling. Thanks for the idea!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back