Best way to safely lower high phosphates??

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so my tank currently has really high phosphates.. eek!! So I've been noticing some nuisance hair algae growing on my rocks and I wasn't really sure why, so I decided to finally invest in the phosphorous hanna checker (the one that measures in ppb). I then checked my water, and apparently my phosphates are around 0.6ppm!! I'd like them to be around 0.03ppm so I can get decent coral growth, especially for my SPS I currently have.

I have a 29 gallon biocube, and I'm currently using PhosGuard in a bag in my refugium. I use about 50mL of the stuff every couple of days, just as the instructions say. The problem, however, is that my phosphates haven't really lowered. The checker still says that it's 0.6ppm despite me using PhosGuard (and I know it's not the checker because I checked a buddy of mine's tank water too and they got a lower reading than I did).

I've been looking into possibly getting rowaphos, but I read that a reactor is recommended for it. Is it worth getting a reactor just to use rowaphos? Or what do you guys recommend for my phosphate issue?

As an added note, I think my phosphate issue may be coming from my feedings. I have a blue-eyed anthias that I've been feeding in the tank 2x a day (mysis, brine shrimp, flake, pellets), as well as my corals I feed reef-roids to every Thursday. In addition, I dose 12 drops of Brightwells CoralAmino every Monday and Friday. So with all this, I need a good phosphate remover to keep up with the nutrients I'm adding into the tank.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the same problem don’t know if I’m using it wrong but I started out with brs high capacity gfo used in media cup didn’t didn’t drop phosphate it just kept rising then I used it in media reactor and same results. Started using phosphate rx and that worked out. Plus side no mess to clean up after.

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Phosphate Rx (Lanthanum Chloride) to lower phosphate. It works pretty quickly and is easy to control once you know how much a certain number of drops will lower your level
Hm, I've never used a liquid phosphate remover before. Has it been keeping your phosphate within the 0.03 range?

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the same problem don’t know if I’m using it wrong but I started out with brs high capacity gfo used in media cup didn’t didn’t drop phosphate it just kept rising then I used it in media reactor and same results. Started using phosphate rx and that worked out. Plus side no mess to clean up after.
Seems like people like this stuff lol. Does it lower phosphate fast? I don't want to lower it too fast and shock the corals either

twall73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in a similar boat with my Phosphates in my 32 gallon cube. I have been running Phosguard for a couple of weeks, and have lowered my Phosphates from about .30 to .15 in that time. I went a little conservative on the amount that I used (don't remember exactly how much - maybe 2 tablespoons?) as I had just put a couple of Zoa frags in that tank, and didn't want to shock them.

I have it in my old school Tunze Comline filter, in between the sponge filter and the Chemipure Blue packet I am running. So it gets plenty of water flow through there, which I understand to be key.

I probably need to change mine (work has been crazy the last week) - so it probably would be lower by now if I changed it out every four days or so like they call for. But I am also happy to take it slow.

Hope this helps!

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm, I've never used a liquid phosphate remover before. Has it been keeping your phosphate within the 0.03 range?
It will keep it at what ever level you chose, just have to test and dose pretty often until you get into a rhythm. What I'd do is test to find where you are at the moment then add 5-10 drops and test again in about 30 minutes to see how much it lowered and then adjust your dose according to what you want to achieve. One thing to be aware of is that once you have high levels, it can take quite a while to get it out of your rocks/sand.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so my tank currently has really high phosphates.. eek!! So I've been noticing some nuisance hair algae growing on my rocks and I wasn't really sure why, so I decided to finally invest in the phosphorous hanna checker (the one that measures in ppb). I then checked my water, and apparently my phosphates are around 0.6ppm!! I'd like them to be around 0.03ppm so I can get decent coral growth, especially for my SPS I currently have.

I have a 29 gallon biocube, and I'm currently using PhosGuard in a bag in my refugium. I use about 50mL of the stuff every couple of days, just as the instructions say. The problem, however, is that my phosphates haven't really lowered. The checker still says that it's 0.6ppm despite me using PhosGuard (and I know it's not the checker because I checked a buddy of mine's tank water too and they got a lower reading than I did).

I've been looking into possibly getting rowaphos, but I read that a reactor is recommended for it. Is it worth getting a reactor just to use rowaphos? Or what do you guys recommend for my phosphate issue?

As an added note, I think my phosphate issue may be coming from my feedings. I have a blue-eyed anthias that I've been feeding in the tank 2x a day (mysis, brine shrimp, flake, pellets), as well as my corals I feed reef-roids to every Thursday. In addition, I dose 12 drops of Brightwells CoralAmino every Monday and Friday. So with all this, I need a good phosphate remover to keep up with the nutrients I'm adding into the tank.

0.06 is not really that high.

Just do a normal 20% water change if it bothers you

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in a similar boat with my Phosphates in my 32 gallon cube. I have been running Phosguard for a couple of weeks, and have lowered my Phosphates from about .30 to .15 in that time. I went a little conservative on the amount that I used (don't remember exactly how much - maybe 2 tablespoons?) as I had just put a couple of Zoa frags in that tank, and didn't want to shock them.

I have it in my old school Tunze Comline filter, in between the sponge filter and the Chemipure Blue packet I am running. So it gets plenty of water flow through there, which I understand to be key.

I probably need to change mine (work has been crazy the last week) - so it probably would be lower by now if I changed it out every four days or so like they call for. But I am also happy to take it slow.

Hope this helps!
So do you think I should continue with the 50mL every couple of days? Or should I up the dose a bit and see if it lowers it more? Because according to the checker, my phosphate isn't lowering very much aha

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will keep it at what ever level you chose, just have to test and dose pretty often until you get into a rhythm. What I'd do is test to find where you are at the moment then add 5-10 drops and test again in about 30 minutes to see how much it lowered and then adjust your dose according to what you want to achieve. One thing to be aware of is that once you have high levels, it can take quite a while to get it out of your rocks/sand.
Alright, for sure. I'll look more into that then. Have you ever used any other type of phosphate remover?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you ever considered running an algae reactor? Great way to naturally lower phosphates and nitrates and very beneficial to aquarium. Took my PO4 & NO3 to almost zero from high levels. Upfront cost of reactor and chaeto but after that minimal expense.

07547710-E743-4A1E-885D-0A592A303835.jpeg

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever considered running an algae reactor? Great way to naturally lower phosphates and nitrates and very beneficial to aquarium. Took my PO4 & NO3 to almost zero from high levels. Upfront cost of reactor and chaeto but after that minimal expense.

07547710-E743-4A1E-885D-0A592A303835.jpeg
I hadn't thought about an algae reactor before. Are there any small ones for nano tanks like the biocube?

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna jump in on this thread.....I'm battling phosphates. It's a newer nano (12 gallon) tank w/ live rock from another tank and it's been a challenge with the phosphates. They tend to just CLIMB. Now I can go without feeding and they'll stay somewhat steady, but that's not going to work. I tried a dose of PhostphatE and my softies hated it. They balled up for a day, so long term success with that isn't gonna work. The tank is too small for a media reactor (I do have a skimmer), so it seems GFO, or any other media type is ineffective due to the lack of tumble in my teeeeeeny tiny overflow chambers. I'm stumped. Algae isn't a huge problem, I've been using 1ml of vibrant a week to keep it low (which is working) and my CUC cleans up most of it. I just don't know what to do at this point. I'm using Coral Pro salt, and am considering switching salts (various reasons - mainly the Ca/Mg levels are comically high and it seems to precip alk in my tank quicker than it should? another thread for that)....I'm kinda in the wait and see stage, but I'm also not real keen on huge WC every 2-3 days to tamp down phosphates.

Back