Best way to trim back larger SPS

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 5, 2019
Messages
4,204
Reaction score
1,359
Location
Coastal New Jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So this guy is getting really big and it’s going to start and shade out and touch a few other other pieces.
9C4CEDAD-E2BA-4F93-B846-73F928B57DC9.jpeg


I’m not sure how much I can take off at once - I might be able to take it out but probably not.

I’d like to take about this much off. I’m I better off doing a little at a time or just going for it?

FF6B01C4-E0FC-47E7-AB27-97D9C95AB449.jpeg
 
Knock what you want off with a pair of bone cutters, bag it, and send it my way. I'll PM ya my address.
 
You can cut large or small frags, whatever you want.

One of the surprises of fragging colonies is that they don't always break exactly as you planned. Sharp bone cutters help making an exact cut but sometimes accidental torque while cutting can lead to an unexpected break somewhere else. In other words, you might be aiming for a one inch frag and end up with 1/4 of the colony. Whatever size frag that you are planning on, just be good about how and where you are directing the bone cutters.
 
You can cut large or small frags, whatever you want.

One of the surprises of fragging colonies is that they don't always break exactly as you planned. Sharp bone cutters help making an exact cut but sometimes accidental torque while cutting can lead to an unexpected break somewhere else. In other words, you might be aiming for a one inch frag and end up with 1/4 of the colony. Whatever size frag that you are planning on, just be good about how and where you are directing the bone cutters.
Thank you for the input. I think I’m going to start and just see how it goes. I do have solid bone cutters so I’m confident I can cut it. But like you said I could cut less/more of what I’m aiming for. In reality as long as I can cut it back enough that it buys more time for the corals it’s getting close to I’m okay with it. I’m not really trying to ‘make frags’ as much as I’m trying to give other corals room to grow. Thank again.
 
A couple things:
a) Be conscious of where stuff is going to fall once clipped.
b) You can also consider removing the colony and doing the cutting more carefully outside the tank. Google "diamond wire hand saw". I used one to cut this colony out (pictured below).

Beautiful colony. Love that shape and color.
 

Attachments

  • IMG-4750.JPG
    IMG-4750.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 75
Nice job on the growth!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new