Better spectrum at higher intensity?

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if there is anything out there regarding leds, specifically Gen 5 Radions, put out a more accurate spectrum as they run at higher intensity?

I “feel” that visually to the eye the color I see at 20% vs 40% is different.

Am I just making it up or do these controllable leds have an intensity sweet spot?

Thanks!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following to see what the pros say.
I can tell you ive been doing alot of experimenting with spectrums lately.
If I run my led all blue channels at same par they shrink up and stress as opposed to running on brs reccomended schedule for my led. Same par.
There is def something to healthy spectrum and I think brs pretty much nailed it with my led.
That being said coral care boasts a healthy spectrum spread no matter what intensity or spectrum its set at.
I've seen kessil talk about broken spectrums and hot spots and how they can hurt corals.
There are plenty of graphs and data showing what spectrums are most used by zooxanthellae.
I'm actually finding a whiter more full spectrum increase coral growth in my shrooms.
Its all really interesting.

OP
OP
PSU4ME

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed that it varies by unit but I’ve never heard of any manufacturers saying XX% but I dint have any spectral stuff to test

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same program is the same spectrum, but more quantity. Quality does not change - it is what it is, just more of it. If you upped all of your channels to get more light, then that is different. Some of the best tanks use their panels at/near 100% on all channels, which bumps output and changes the spectrum too - the few that do this raise them up really high to help with light blending and spread.

My general rule of thumb is more daylight to grow and render colors in corals and then blue it up to look at them. There are photos of some stuff in my re-build thread that I grow under 6500k T5s but also show the colors under different light for illumination - colors are great.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 42 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.1%
Back