Betty's first reef tank - 100l

betty_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm Betty, I live in Spain and this is my first reef tank, but I doubt it will be my last. I'm already head over heels for my two little clownfish!

The tank is 100l and has a Tunze Nano filter, and a Fluval wavemaker. I'm planning on adding a HoB refugium at some point and I might need to add a skimmer as well when I have more fish. I don't have a light at this point to avoid algae problem.

I set up the tank with live sand and dry rock but I've been using Stability to get the cycle going and after about 2 weeks the water parameters looked good, so I got two little clownfish. They settled in nicely (only causing me heart attacks with their sleeping habits of floating in the tank sideways). They've been acting a little erratic after I cleaned the tank yesterday, but they seem to calm down by this morning. They are eating well and swim up to the top of the tank when I open the lid, expecting food.

All water parameters are looking good, but I also have a Seachem alert and have been adding Amguard every second day just to avoid any problems.

I welcome any feedback (don't be too harsh!) ,it's been a ride and I can't wait to add some corals and maybe some more fish to the tank!
IMG_3776.jpg

OP
betty_d

betty_d

View Badges
Reaction score
So little update on the tank, it is going great, currently still with the two clownfish. I'm waiting for Black Friday to buy a light and potentially a HOB skimmer, but I'm undecided on which ones should I pick. My tank is small, so I was sort of leaning towards maybe the Tunze 8850 or the Fluval Marine lights, but I've seen the MicMol air which also looks like a good value.

OP
betty_d

betty_d

View Badges
Reaction score
So instead of a skimmer, I decided to install a HOB refugium. I used a breeder box and a small air pump and bought a plant light off Amazon. Hopefully, this will solve my nitrate (currently at 5) issue. I'm trying to find some chaeto somewhere to add, but this is how it looks.

I shared this video in the group and everyone is assuming I haven't cycled my tank, but I swear I did and my two little clowns look happy and eating tons. Is my tank too clean?!

Attachments

• IMG_4231.mp4
    5 MB · Views: 6

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
It does look very clean, but just wait, ugly algae will come. And you do want some nitrates and phosphate for corals to really thrive. 5-10ppm nitrates and up to .5ppm phosphate.

OP
betty_d

betty_d

View Badges
Reaction score
It does look very clean, but just wait, ugly algae will come. And you do want some nitrates and phosphate for corals to really thrive. 5-10ppm nitrates and up to .5ppm phosphate.
Oh thanks for that! So I'm actually at a good range now, but I guess if I will add more corals they will contribute to it as well? The phosphate kit is coming in my next order.

Btw, I got a light for the refugium and switched it on last night - not as clean as I thought! I have a film swimming on top and had some algae on the glass as well, so ugly algae is coming :D

Do you have an Aquarium Equipment & Husbandry Maintenance Schedule?

• Yes equipment ad husbandry

Votes: 56 58.9%
  • Yes but equipment only

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Yes but husbandry only

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • No I currently do not

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.1%

Online statistics

Members online