Beware Hanna salinity testers from Amazon.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed something strange when I got my Hanna salinity tester via amazon. The battery protector tab was missing, it just had a plastic ring in the device. Also there were black scrape points inside the tester like this, not my picture though.

Capture.PNG

I have no idea if it is used or a knock off but I know even after my continued calibration between it and the apex, I am now trusting the apex is right because it matched closer to my refractometer. Also look at the 1 star reviews on Amazon, it confirms this is happening.

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a problem with Amazon in general.

It has gone through enshitification as of late; most things are just overpriced drops from China (you can probably get it cheaper off of Aliexpress these days), and the QC when it comes to authentic products has declined wonhill. I forget the exact details, but it's because all products are organized in the same "bins" even if a different seller is selling it but is sold as the same object. So even buying an authentic new product can get you old, knock-off products.

That being said, I generally try not to rely on a salinity tester that isn't my refractometer.

And you should defeinitly have a floating hydrometer on hand as that is THE MOST ACCURATE you will get. Then you can calibrate your refractometer with the solutions and the hydrometer.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a problem with Amazon in general.

It has gone through enshitification as of late; most things are just overpriced drops from China (you can probably get it cheaper off of Aliexpress these days), and the QC when it comes to authentic products has declined wonhill. I forget the exact details, but it's because all products are organized in the same "bins" even if a different seller is selling it but is sold as the same object. So even buying an authentic new product can get you old, knock-off products.

That being said, I generally try not to rely on a salinity tester that isn't my refractometer.

And you should defeinitly have a floating hydrometer on hand as that is THE MOST ACCURATE you will get. Then you can calibrate your refractometer with the solutions and the hydrometer.

Yeah it is bad. The knock off crap products dominate amazon and they do nothing about it. You have to do serious filtering through the product list to find the quality items.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same black powder-residu around my electrodes, and the meter is 100% original for sure. The carbon residu was there from day 1 and never getting worse, so a manufacturing thing i guess. I love my Hanna tester. I compare it once a month with a refractometer and is always spot on.

wheels4896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news is it's easy to return stuff on Amazon (usually).
I'd just return it immediately through Amazon. I'd even pick whatever the defective return/exchange option is and hope the next one was NEW,,, at least once, but that's just me.
This is the right advice. Definitely indicate your reason for return is that it is a used item. -am in a sr role at Amazon

Edit to ask: was it in shrink wrap when you got it? All of my hanna products have been (incl multiple salinity checkers)

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it from Hanna on Amazon via Prime?

Yep. It may had been new, but I do know it was 2 full ppt off. Looking at the reviews at BRS it seems this is all too normal that they are off 2ppt even after calibrating. That is what I saw was around 2ppt, not .2pp but a full 2ppt compared. I returned it to a drop off point today because I am not paying for something that is $80 just to question my own refractometer.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. It may had been new, but I do know it was 2 full ppt off. Looking at the reviews at BRS it seems this is all too normal that they are off 2ppt even after calibrating. That is what I saw was around 2ppt, not .2pp but a full 2ppt compared. I returned it to a drop off point today because I am not paying for something that is $80 just to question my own refractometer.
Mine was way off. I just returned it and bought a cheap refractometer.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I noticed something strange when I got my Hanna salinity tester via amazon. The battery protector tab was missing, it just had a plastic ring in the device. Also there were black scrape points inside the tester like this, not my picture though.

Capture.PNG

I have no idea if it is used or a knock off but I know even after my continued calibration between it and the apex, I am now trusting the apex is right because it matched closer to my refractometer. Also look at the 1 star reviews on Amazon, it confirms this is happening.
This has to be used as I have one myself for over a year and is cleaner than this in the picture and a Good warning to " Buyer Beware". I would request a refund and they will likely allow you to keep unit.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has to be used as I have one myself for over a year and is cleaner than this in the picture and a Good warning to " Buyer Beware". I would request a refund and they will likely allow you to keep unit.
According to Hanna, the black residue is from when they polish the graphite electrodes. This is normal and all should have some, and if not, then the probes where probably missed and not polished during the manufacturing process. This was discussed a few years back on this site.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
According to Hanna, the black residue is from when they polish the graphite electrodes. This is normal and all should have some, and if not, then the probes where probably missed and not polished during the manufacturing process. This was discussed a few years back on this site.
Hmm- first ive heard of this but makes sense. Mine was Quite clean but missing cap still remains a question

c0kefree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought mine last week from my LFS brand new. Has the same exact markings.

The battery tab fell off and was INSIDE of the meter itself.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Capture.PNG

Mine have all had that black point inside the tester from BRS, i thought for sure it was normal.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back