• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Beware of Scontent

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Marketplace sellers beware of username "scontent" from NJ. I am currently selling an aquarium on R2R Marketplace and person under this username inquired about buying the aquarium. We agreed on price and username "scontent" kept asking to make quick payments through unsecured apps instead of paypal as requested. I offered to send paypal invoice so we would both be protected and again was asked about doing quicker different payment form instead. Looks to only have one post here and has only been member of R2R since Oct 25th. Kept asking for odd pickup times from NJ by a moving company with less than 24 hours notice to me so his payment would not have been processed before tank would be picked up from my home. Too many red flags for me and I called off sale. Hopes this helps someone else not get scammed. Sellers beware.

scontent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marketplace sellers beware of username "scontent" from NJ. I am currently selling an aquarium on R2R Marketplace and person under this username inquired about buying the aquarium. We agreed on price and username "scontent" kept asking to make quick payments through unsecured apps instead of paypal as requested. I offered to send paypal invoice so we would both be protected and again was asked about doing quicker different payment form instead. Looks to only have one post here and has only been member of R2R since Oct 25th. Kept asking for odd pickup times from NJ by a moving company with less than 24 hours notice to me so his payment would not have been processed before tank would be picked up from my home. Too many red flags for me and I called off sale. Hopes this helps someone else not get scammed. Sellers beware.

scontent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The unsecured payments method he"s referring to are google pay, venmo and zelle I can share our entire thread. I told him I needed to arrange shipping with a shipping company and they only had a certain date. So I tried to arrange a quicker way of getting him the funds. I told him zelle can transfer funds in mins and he can google that. When he told me he was not comfortable with the other payment methods. I offered to pay via his preferred method PayPal. Which does venmo payments btw. I even gave him my name and where I worked for reference. Not sure how much more transparent I could be. And I'm still unclear of how google pay, zelle and
venmo are less secure then paypal..He found a better deal and reneged on on price. He also doesn't want to get a bad review. And anyone reading this knows the payment methods I offered are all secure and some of faster.

scontent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I replied to your thread. I am not trying to scam you. I offered to pay via paypal and your the one who refused. I can give you the shipping company I was working with. I want to buy the tank. I didn't come on this site to scam ppl. I gave you my name and where I work. How is that not being transparent? Send me a paypal invoice and I will purchase for our agreed price. Once your ready and comfortable tell me when to have it picked up. Is that method a scam?

scontent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not trying to scam him. I just sent him the below message to complete our transaction.

Hey, I replied to your thread. I am not trying to scam you. I offered to pay via paypal and your the one who refused. I can give you the shipping company I was working with. I want to buy the tank. I didn't come on this site to scam ppl. I gave you my name and where I work. How is that not being transparent? Send me a paypal invoice and I will purchase for our agreed price. Once your ready and comfortable tell me when to have it picked up. Is that method a scam?

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not trying to scam him. I just sent him the below message to complete our transaction.

Please speak to the person you are dealing with . If your not a scammer you have my deepest apology . But contact the other person and get things sorted

scontent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying but he won't reply. I was looking back on the threads and this went soar when I asked him to note on the invoice that the tank has no scratches or cracks. I'm offering to pay via his preferred method and yo let me know when to pick up the tank. Lastly, as I noted to him. I wanted the comments of no scratches or cracks in case something happened in transport the shipping company couldn't say it was already cracked or scratched.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Payments should always cover both people no one wants ripped off. You will have to keep trying and maybe say sorry for any confusion. Hope it works out for both of you. Aleast you came on and defended your self

scontent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20231031_061857_Chrome.jpg

scontent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Payments should always cover both people no one wants ripped off. You will have to keep trying and maybe say sorry for any confusion. Hope it works out for both of you. Aleast you came on and defended your self
Thx you, not sure a scammer would come here to defend themselves. Or be willing to pay and wait for the seller to be satisfied with payment before arranging to pick up of the item. I'll pong him again later on to see if we can clear this up.

scontent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#Daniel@R2R

In my attempt to successfully complete this transaction safely for both parties. I sent the seller below. He has my name and can look me up on PayPal to send the invoice. Again, I AM NOT A SCAMMER.

Hello
Let me start out by apologizing for any of my actions that may have brought us to this point. In my haste for a new tank for my Oscars, I may have come across as a scammer. That is not and has never been my intention. I'm an actual buyer in the the market for a 300 gallon tank. My only ask with this transaction is to state on the invoice there are no scratches or cracks on the tank. Again, this way the shipping company is responsible for any damage in transit. I will pay via your preferred method (PayPal) and wait till you are comfortable with the successful transfer of the funds. Once you're satisfied, I will then arrange to have the tank picked up at your convenience.

I'm not sure how else to safely complete this transaction. Please advise if you have any other concerns or safer methods?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back