Beware the Conch

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago, I picked up a baseball size Hawkwing Conch. It was pretty cool, cruising around the bottom doing what conchs do. Besides cleaning up, I would feed it nori every other day. The other evening, I was feeding the fish, basslets, cardinals, pipefish and orange spot file, with everyone eating. I noticed that the conch did not look right. It was in the same spot all day. I tapped the shell and it withdrew into it. Ok. The next day, I went to the basement and smelled something bad, like sewer gas. Looking around, the tank with the conch was the source of the smell. I turned on the lights and found carnage. Royal grammas, cardinals, the pipes and file were all dead. Happily, there were a few survivors. None of the corals, gorgonians or sponges were showing distress. Scooping out the bodies, I checked the conch. It, too, was dead. Two bubbles came out of the shell and burst at the surface. The stench was horrible, like opening up a septic tank! Out came the shell and it got dumped in a bucket of water. I tested the water and double checked it at the LFS. Surprisingly, all parameters were good. I did a 25% water change and changed the carbon. Surviving fish are all doing well. The only explanation that I can think of is that the conch died overnight and rapidly polluted the tank. This tank has been running for over twenty years, with this the weirdest die off. No more conchs for me.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, could be a cone snail that got mislabelled, died and the venom got into the water maybe, but I dont see how 1 day of a dead non-poisonous and non-toxic snail could nuke a tank

OP
OP
dennis romano

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, could be a cone snail that got mislabelled, died and the venom got into the water maybe, but I dont see how 1 day of a dead non-poisonous and non-toxic snail could nuke a tank
Shocked me too. Definitely a conch. I also have a fighting conch and milk conch from the same Caribbean vendor.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shocked me too. Definitely a conch. I also have a fighting conch and milk conch from the same Caribbean vendor.
Theres a chance that you got a snail dieing of necrosis, and when it finally fully died out it popped and all the dead tissue rushed out overwhelming your bio filter

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baseball size is huge compared to any Conch I ever had. That’s quite a story; sorry you loss some nice fish. :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
dennis romano

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baseball size is huge compared to any Conch I every had. That’s quite a story; sorry you loss some nice fish. :(
It was quite cool cruising along the bottom. The milk conch is not as big but still impressive. It can sense when nori is in the tank, then crawls over to it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back