Bi color duncan or dying head

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im kind of confused, I thought when colonies reproduce they are identical... One of the heads is the normal green/purplish white color and the other is blue-grey mixed with purple... Im so confused LOL. I don't think its dying since it opens up and retracts(i just got it and acclimated it/dipped it, i tried a quick google search for "bi color duncan" and "two tone duncan" and "duncan with two different color heads" and no luck... Thoughts?

bi color duncan.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing it is a baby? Probably not getting the same amount of light under that other head which would effect color. It may change to match in time.

OP
OP
Fishurama

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing it is a baby? Probably not getting the same amount of light under that other head which would effect color. It may change to match in time.

It came to me like that. Thats why im stumped. If one head grew different under a new light source i could understand, but this just came like this still like that a day later. It doesn't look upset which is also strange(not complaining though)

Can we get a clearer pic?

No, but you can get more blurry ones! lol. My phone doesn't like blues.

Opened more since yesterday, not anywhere near any shade of green like it's other colony.
duncan.jpg

While the top polyp is getting a fraction more light, it's nothing that would completely change a color of a head like its in another area of the tank completely and also like I said it came to me like this.
duncan 2.jpg

My main worry was it was a dying head since ive never seen a duncan with 2 color heads(albieit the green head looks way better, but I guess the blueish-grey/light purple could be cool if it keeps reproducing(if this is somehow normal)

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrug maybe it was damaged at one point before you got it. Maybe something stung it at the LFS. I would just wait and see....it doesn't look like it is melting.

OP
OP
Fishurama

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrug maybe it was damaged at one point before you got it. Maybe something stung it at the LFS. I would just wait and see....it doesn't look like it is melting.

Thats why im stumped haha. Im glad its not dying, but if it was i'd at least know why its the color it is... I got this piece from aqualocker, which generally gets good reviews, so i don't think they placed it by anything that could sting it.
Ill post another picture on this thread in a weeks time to see if it changes color. But im still open to suggestions on what this could be. Would be cool/strange if I started getting both color heads growing, will see in the future.

Last edited:

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking for a whiter pic to determine if maybe a majano had set up shop on the ducan...

OP
OP
Fishurama

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking for a whiter pic to determine if maybe a majano had set up shop on the ducan...
Its all duncan haha. Branching right out of the stalk, i can grab it, It really is strange. I dub it "ultra" duncan lol.

Attached like a normal duncan. Same everything just a different color. No real difference in lighting or flow, and like I said, it came out of the bag like this.
duncan 3.jpg

The purplish side is open happy, retracts like normal when my large sailfin swims by making a large flow, ive seen it completely retracted out of the bag too, same as the green head.
duncan 4.jpg

EDIT: My only thought is and I could be wrong, I think duncans can touch and maybe they had a "duncan garden" where two colonies merged? And I got this double head as a frag... So maybe during cutting this came out. My only honest thought on how this could happen, since they should be identical(more or less).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishurama

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious...keep us updated.

Def not majano...:p

I will, ill take more picture in a weeks time see how its going, and definitely once it start developing more heads. Hopefully someone lurking well end up knowing what this is, as of right now my "ducan garden" conspiracy theory is the only thing I have ;Pompus Thanks for the replies.

SpeakerToAnimals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20191007_172015_645.jpg

Might just be a "new polyp that's in the dark" scenario (notice the polyp in the bottom right of above pic).

I've turned them around a bit recently so that all the polyps get enough light. I'm expecting the new smaller polyp to color up in time.

OP
OP
Fishurama

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20191007_172015_645.jpg

Might just be a "new polyp that's in the dark" scenario (notice the polyp in the bottom right of above pic).

I've turned them around a bit recently so that all the polyps get enough light. I'm expecting the new smaller polyp to color up in time.

I need to start taking pictures like this LOL. It's not really in the dark, the lights are actually aiming right down on it, it just looks that way. If you look at post 8, you can see im actually shooting from the bottom up on one of the shots. I actually think they might be getting too much light since they are a little lower then mid tank(i don't have the strongest lights, I have 2 of the marine orbits, not the new gen one)
This is it today, still the same, nothing close to green but it did go more purple and the stock is starting to go from whitish to gaining some redish/purple(not coralline) and green color(not algae)... Im so stumped, its seriously like someone glue or had to different colonies merge LOL

This is taken from a top point of view aiming down.
duncan6.jpg

redish purple on this side
duncan5.jpg

A little Green on the top side, and more not pictured on the other side since i can't get a good angle(not algae)
duncan7.jpg

SpeakerToAnimals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to start taking pictures like this LOL. It's not really in the dark, the lights are actually aiming right down on it, it just looks that way. If you look at post 8, you can see im actually shooting from the bottom up on one of the shots. I actually think they might be getting too much light since they are a little lower then mid tank(i don't have the strongest lights, I have 2 of the marine orbits, not the new gen one)
This is it today, still the same, nothing close to green but it did go more purple and the stock is starting to go from whitish to gaining some redish/purple(not coralline) and green color(not algae)... Im so stumped, its seriously like someone glue or had to different colonies merge LOL

This is taken from a top point of view aiming down.
duncan6.jpg

redish purple on this side
duncan5.jpg

A little Green on the top side, and more not pictured on the other side since i can't get a good angle(not algae)
duncan7.jpg

Ah well, whatever the case, as long as its doing fine, that's all that matters hehe.

For pictures, if you're on Android, you might want to try the AZ Camera app. Once you've installed it, max out your White Balance (WB) at 10000K then take pics and do some minimal post editing (if necessary) with a basic pic editing app.

OP
OP
Fishurama

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah well, whatever the case, as long as its doing fine, that's all that matters hehe.

For pictures, if you're on Android, you might want to try the AZ Camera app. Once you've installed it, max out your White Balance (WB) at 10000K then take pics and do some minimal post editing (if necessary) with a basic pic editing app.

I just wanna figure this out since its stuck on my mind haha. I am glad it doesn't seem like its dying. Ill try the app out right now im using snapseed to change the WB but ill try that app. Thanks for the responses.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back