Bicolor Angels being caught correctly now?

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My research indicates bicolor angels had a difficult reputation which was resulting from them typically being captured incorrectly (perhaps cyanide?), resulting in them dying before long. Thus they had a reputation for doing poorly in home aquariums.

I'm also seeing indications that the capture situation has improved and thus generally these fish do fine nowadays.

Anyone have any current information to help support or refute this?

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if capture practices have improved but have seen newer web postings (don't have them, seen them) talking about bicolors doing better than they used to.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had several flame angels and never had a problem. I hear that they are touchier now?

Bicolors: I tried 2 about 10 years ago, and both never ate and died soon. I would love it if things have changed, as they are one of the most beautiful dwarf angels.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got two on Tuesday. So far so good, they are eating somewhat sporadically but definitely eating, especially tonight- both are beginning to pig out. Likely they are settling into the tank.

I have seen both eat shrimp, TDO pellets, and worms. They seem to take the worms the most, the shrimp the least.

Last edited:

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got two on Monday. So far so good, they are eating somewhat sporadically but definitely eating, especially tonight. Likely they are settling into the tank.

I have seen both eat shrimp, TDO pellets, and worms. They seem to take the worms the most, the shrimp the least.
This is great news if more success is being witnessed.... speaking of witnesses.... give us the pic of these TWO beauties! Love my pygmy Angels.....

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2021040409280226--2061636258195299518-IMG_3484-edited-M.jpg
IMG_3423_HEIC-M.jpg
2021041511014592-3722262910476693332-IMG_3532_heic-M.jpg

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attempting to pair them. New tank build, probably going to put a privacy sheen over the back and put a LED mood light on the back to light it from below. That should enhance and hopefully not detract; I love how fish look in ambient light in this 20 gallon long. The tank has blue and yellow PVC pipes down to the sump. :)

Is it just me, or is there something a little Tommy Hilfiger about the look of bicolors? Thinking of naming them Dee and Tommy if/when they pair...

This tank is right next to my desk at seating level. Someone is not going to be getting much work done...

Some information says they rarely get to 6" in captivity. I dunno. If the tank starts to feel too small for them, perfect excuse to upgrade to a 33 long. Cheap with Aqueon tanks and stands and how I drill them out etc.

This is their house. Noone other going in. Just rocks and them.

Here's hoping they get to 3 months with no signs of disease.

PXL_20210502_185635920.jpeg

PXL_20210502_185705401.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very striking fish.

Both ate like pigs yesterday. It took them 3 days to settle in and really find their appetites.

ClearRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a couple over the years, never had any problems with them. They're also one of the angels we're least concerned about losing at our store. Flames on the other hand.... cyanide captured for sure. They do well, eat like pigs, then at the 6-8 week mark they die without warning. I've had this happen to me personally several times and to most customers who purchase a flame angel. So sad

ClearRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Trever the angels at the store get a variety of different frozen foods, the most common being mysis shrimp. Since the beginning of the year I've also been doing alot of Omega Ones kelp pellets. When we have enough I always feed out chopped clam as well.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ClearRain mine are eating live black worms like there's no tomorrow. They peck at TDO pellets (as if live, throwing them out of their mouth half the time because they "attack" the pellets such that the pellet goes flying), and nibble on frozen mysis. Frozen brine with spirulena, they seem less interested.

They're probably too stuffed on worms?

I want to ween them off the worms because I don't usually feed that and don't want to maintain live food. But since they are new and came a long ways... I want to fatten them up ASAP too.

ClearRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Trever I'd quit the black worms for a bit. Give them a week without them, while giving other food. If they're interested already they should start to readily accept it as they get hungry and realize worms aren't coming lol I forgot to mention that my personal fish got Rods Food exclusively.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back