Big Derasa spawning, can this affect the water parameters?

Dnoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tridacna Derasa started to spawn for some reason yesterday. When the clam is bigger than my head I started to think can this affect to my water parameters? All of that biological material will start to rotten in the reef. Almost 400g of water turned to white really fast. Now the water is back to normal, but the biological material is still there in the circulation.
clam.jpeg

OP
OP
Dnoob

Dnoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other thing that I was thinking is the reason why it does that. If I have understand it correctly it can do that if the environment is perfect or totally panic reaction. Luckily I have only one because when one start to spawn every clam responds in the same way. I have to take a look at the tank for the possible negative reactions. It seems that no one took the hit because of this.

Last edited:

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first few times mine did this I was very concerned. Now it seems to happen 1 or 2 times a year. With this last being the largest. Once every 15min from 1pm to 7pm everyday for 8 days straight. The only issue I had was a little cyano outbreak and a bunch of healthy coral. Of course every system is different.
Perfect timing on your picture. It looks awesome!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine don't cause any issues. I have two of them, but no baby clams yet. :) I do have a lot of skimming and stuff and the cloudy water is usually gone in the AM. I don't really measure building blocks, so no idea about that.

I imagine that this is all lunar based, but I don't have any kind of lunar stuff on my tank. I guess that it can maybe see the ambient moonlight or sense a change in pressure? I have always wondered how they come to know that it is time. I know that Knopp has written, but that was about wild clams, not the ones in my basement.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back