OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aside from having zero of either Po4 and N03 it comes down the visual observation.
If the corals shutdown---small polyp extension and dry look over most corals you need more fish. You're looking for this over most of the corals.

The other part is drab coloration and no growth.....growth= color. You can have corals with good polyp extension just no growth and color.

Usually your glass panes are also a good indicator......you should be having to clean the glass of film every few days.

Just having enough fish isn't the whole equation. You have to feed them well so they look filled out with good colors. So in this respect ,the fish themselves can help provide more visual ques.

The whole idea is the have high throughput but not so much left over to get such high test numbers that the excess nutrients let algae get out of control or to stump coral growth.

AcroFan144

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the goal is to keep as many fish as possible and feed them as much as possible, WHILE maintaining good NO3 and PO4 levels?

Which levels would you consider as best? Any particular range we should strive for?

Thank you very much for your help.

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You don't have to have a high fish load, you just have to have a balance of input and output that satisfies your corals for good growth and color. Although more fish is always better and easier if you can also keep nutrients in check.

A lot of people struggle because they have complicated export systems that are complete overkill or that compete with the corals for nutrients.
That's why I always start with just a large skimmer..........all the other stuff are add ons when you can't control nutrient levels.

My target numbers are based on by personal experience with acros and also on other reefers I respect with successful dominant acro systems.

These are ballpark numbers, not written in stone so a few points above isn't really something to chase---

Po4- .03-.10ppm-- If you're using a Hannah ULR to measure

No3- 1.0-10ppm--- Once you get to measurements below 5.0ppm I like to use the Red Sea pro kit. Above that Salifert is ok as it has wider ranges.

The most common ratios are from be 50-200 to 1.

This is feeding your fish well and keeping them happy.

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will a good combination of 2 blue+ /4 Coral+?
It's fine and will give off a more blueish look. You won't have the same consistent spectrum across the whole tank and it also may not excite some pigments as easily as a more balanced combo like I use.

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,

I haven't even bought the new tank yet..........still deciding. In the mean time I'll be setting up a 40 breeder(connected to my display) with an LED only fixture to test for a while. I bought a fixture that I thought was finally worth trying after waiting for 8 years for something that fit my wants list.

Once I get some feedback I'll post something.

juannnn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to ask you something about lighting. My aquarium is 50cm wide and I use an 8 tube screen reinforced with two blue orphek bars. What do you recommend 4 blue and 4 coral plus Use only 6 tubes, 3 blue and 3 coral plus or 3 blue 3 coral plus and 2 actinic Thank you

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's a few recent growth shots ---------------what do you all think?

Pengs Princess Peach

Feb 6th
peng princess peach 020621.jpg

6 weeks later to today March 22-- I counted 16 new 1/4" plus sprouts at the base. Colors upped a notch.
Princess Peach 032221.jpg

CR Eternal flame

Feb 6 & below March 22-- colors aren't there yet
Flaming Ember 020621.jpg

eternal flame top 032221.jpg

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ed:

Looks great. I sent you an update on my frags and tank status. Things are looking very good!.

Greg

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks all for the comments and Likes:)

It was a pleasure meeting you yesterday. Thanks for the frags. They seem to be doing well.

And well, I have to follow along now!

Thanks! I enjoyed our talk. We covered it all from reefs to 60-70 muscle cars!
Ed:

Looks great. I sent you an update on my frags and tank status. Things are looking very good!.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Thanks, hope my comments helped.

justy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ed absolutely love what you do with corals with little in the way of extras, carbon dosing, potions, snake oil etc.
I take a lot of confidence from you in keeping it simple, really seems to work.
How much of your success do you attribute to your oversized skimmer?
Many thanks justin

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back