Big E Rimless 80g Sps

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Curious BigE. Have you seen your "Confetti" for sale anywhere else? The colony I have is extremely unique. I have never seen another like it anywhere, myself.

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Joe,

I've bought Confettis from two different sources, both hobbyists. One local and another from the livestock forums. From my pictures and experience they were the same.

The first I lost when I moved my tanks and the current pieces have done really well and are tabling out.

Here's an updated pic of one of my colonies......it's about 3" across. This is so intense red that it's like a beacon even from 10 feet away.
51436878720_7a6d75abd8_z.jpg

I also have a colony in my frag tank that a friend gave me as it wasn't growing well and all brown. It's starting to color up and it looks the same as the others. I do think growth patterns can be different due to flow with this coral, so that may make some others look different.

I believe a Confett is the same species as a Pinky the Bear but in different color forms. Both are great corals.

Does your colony look like the above picture?

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious how you use vinegar and microbactor 7? Can you please explain? I understand it is a form of carbon dosing but are you adding at the same time? Or do you just use microbactor 7 once a week and then vinegar daily? Just trying to learn a bit more about this. I did see Sunnys write up on it but did not see anything about acutally adding bacteria, just using what is in your tank already.

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am curious how you use vinegar and microbactor 7? Can you please explain? I understand it is a form of carbon dosing but are you adding at the same time? Or do you just use microbactor 7 once a week and then vinegar daily? Just trying to learn a bit more about this. I did see Sunnys write up on it but did not see anything about acutally adding bacteria, just using what is in your tank already.

I dose MB7 and vinegar daily. I add MB7 and then follow up with the vinegar dose. They are both hand dosed with a syringe.

I have a whole list of txt info from Sonny off his thread on Reef Central when he was dosing...........pm me and I can send you the info. He was using vodka but that's when people were just starting to carbon dose. This was back in 2007 or so when it became popular.

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No dosing pump because you have to shake the MB7 bottle before dosing.

You can set up the vinegar on a doser but its just so simple and easy to just use a syringe.
It takes me about one minute to do both. I also vary my vinegar dosing at times and don't want to bother having to keep changing a doser.

The last point I'll make is I don't want some doser to OD the tank.

I like to stay connected to my system, so little daily chores help with that. I prefer low tech on my systems to keep Murphy away and not chase a bunch of minutia that is pointless to chase.

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered coral plus bulbs (I only had purples). I’m excited to replicate your system!

Can I please see a new FTS?

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just ordered coral plus bulbs (I only had purples). I’m excited to replicate your system!

Can I please see a new FTS?

I'll get some pics taken soon and post them up.

Do you turn your skimmer off for a period everyday then when you dose MB7?

No, I run the skimmer 24/7.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Justin,

If possible I like to just use a skimmer as my only export. Back when we had the bigger skimmers and the external types you could keep P04 and N03 in check with just that and nothing else.
I used a huge Deltec AP750 on my 160g system for a good ten years like this. It was rated for 500g.

Now a days the skimmers suck in comparison as they are all designed to fit nicely under a cabinent at the expense of performance. Right now I use an Aquamaxx Cs 3. It's rated for about 400 gallons and my system is 90g total. It's does well but I have had to run GFO full time or on occasion based on my fish population and feeding.

Over the years I've experimented with carbon dosing because GFO isn't my favorite option. I used vinegar only for two years and also tried Tropic Marins bacto balance for 2 years on my frag tank. The problems were still always the P04 would creep up.

I started to use an old homemade formula recently of MB7 and vinegar that SunnyX (he used vodka) made popular years ago. I wanted to add this as I have and still will experiment with carbon dosing as I like it as an option because I can control it per dosing amounts.
Hi Ed,
I completely agree, skimmers today have much smaller pumps, and while they are DC and controllable, frankly I still run them 100%, and fiddle with the wedge pipe to dial in. My old ATB with an Eheim 1262 was my favorite, but I-tech and EuroReef were close behind. I had to sort of do the same thing recently, I upgraded my skimmer, use Aquaforest Probiotic Method, and still decided to add a mangrove fuge, and still run 2 liters passive siporax. Finally, I am close to my desired nutrient level. Likely, if I had my old ATB, or my I-tech 200 in service, I wouldn't need any other, lol.
Looking forward to seeing how carbon and bacteria dosing work out for you. I have run all my tanks with some sort of Bac/c-source method. Sonny is definitely an inspiration!
Cheers!

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Big E

What levels do you keep your nitrates and phosphates at?
Sorry, I missed this

My ballpark range---

P04- .03-.10--------if I stay under .20 I won't intervene
N03- 3.0- 10------ I've been in the 25 range and have left them alone.
Would love to see a new FTS. Your tank is an inspiration.

I have been neglecting this thread for a while so it's due for an update. I have a handful of projects going on as I was getting bored with the same old tanks. I am currently moving to a 150g display so this is where it's at now. It's going to be more of a mixed reef.

I'm going through the process of what to put in this display. I don't want to jam it up like my old system so I'm going to have to make some tough decisions as I only want about 20 or so acros in it.

I had thinned out and moved out some colonies over the past year. I want to start out with small size colonies and frags. I will have goni, hammer, ricordia gardens, which I'm looking forward to. I already have most of these just figuring out how I want to aquascape. I also want to move my red malu into this system.

It's going to be a slow process but I want this to be an actual display without any ugly racks in the tank.

150g 072922.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm doing a freshwater tank, not sure exactly what but it's going to be low tech. I have my center piece fish, a pair of Black Lace Angels. I always loved freshwater angels and have wanted a black pair after falling in love with a picture in an old Axelrod book when I was a kid. I kept alot of the standard angels back then as well as other freshwater ornamentals as I was growing up.

Here's a video of my pair. The female was laying eggs after the first week. The male only seem interested in gobbling up the eggs right after she laid them:grinning-face:

Black Lace angel laying eggs by Big E 52, on Flickr

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm also starting a biotope tank centered around Butterflyfish. It will have corals in it.

So far it's been difficult finding a good source of fish, but here is two doing well so far. The vagabund prefers mysis and of course the collare likes something different.

Collare and Vagabund eathing by Big E 52, on Flickr

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back