Big E Rimless 80g Sps

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6-8" is a good sweet spot range. I'd go 8" and see how colors/growth respond.........this will give you better coverage.

If acros are shutting down or dying you need to look at other causes as I doubt it's the lights.
I’ll try messing with them and see if I have any better luck. I’ve done everything imaginable trying to figure this tank out and still can’t so I’m trying the process of elimination

graziano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want some help send me a pm
Hi, sorry to bother you but Ice Cap Ballasts that work with 220V current exist or are they only for 110V
Do you use it built into a T5 ceiling light?

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's a quick look of my 150g from the front in three segments. I am working on the rock work and will also have to make some decisions what stays and goes.

I'll get some individual pics soon. I am using Orphek Icons for the last 5 months. Running their Helius program and it's doing a good job and looks similar to what I'm happy with ambient wise.

Due to 60" length of this tank I had to buy a new fixture.............. looking at costs and future I decided to take my first plunge into LEDs.

150g left.jpg
150g middle.jpg
150g right.jpg

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Big E:

Excited to see what you think about the iCons. I replaced my T5/MH combo a couple of years ago and love these. I also have them on the Helius program and like the look, and my acros and LPS seem to have good color.

Greg

chcgregg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Big E ,

Have you heard about this tulip polyp phenotype, and Acropora with wrinkly and bumpy skin? Some people have said it’s due to uneven calcium levels, others have said it occurs only when they change their T5.

Do you have any insight into this?

Kind regards,

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Big E:

Excited to see what you think about the iCons. I replaced my T5/MH combo a couple of years ago and love these. I also have them on the Helius program and like the look, and my acros and LPS seem to have good color.

Greg
Hi Greg,

So far I am really liking them.........the Helius program is similar to my T5 combo. Same spectrum throughout the day and ambient visuals look similar. I'm running 9 hours right now and may up this to 10 so I have a smooth ramp down. I don't want to run for 12 hours.

The only real difference is see is my blue corals are off the hook, more intense. I've had visitors comment on the blue corals so I know it's just not me.

I'll have to get some recent individual pics of corals up soon.
Hi @Big E ,

Have you heard about this tulip polyp phenotype, and Acropora with wrinkly and bumpy skin? Some people have said it’s due to uneven calcium levels, others have said it occurs only when they change their T5.

Do you have any insight into this?

Kind regards,

Hi,

I've never had an issue with those visual looks but I would suspect more of a bacterial or viral issue. I seriously doubt calcium levels or a T5 bulb change causing this. I've been changing T5 bulbs for over 13 years and have never seen this type of phenomena.

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I keep alk approx between 7.5-8.5

I don't think it matters much either way. I'm not of the thought that alk needs to be micromanaged or tracked on an hourly/daily basis. It's a waste of time and money.

I test alk around every 7-10 days.

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Greg,

So far I am really liking them.........the Helius program is similar to my T5 combo. Same spectrum throughout the day and ambient visuals look similar. I'm running 9 hours right now and may up this to 10 so I have a smooth ramp down. I don't want to run for 12 hours.

The only real difference is see is my blue corals are off the hook, more intense. I've had visitors comment on the blue corals so I know it's just not me.

I'll have to get some recent individual pics of corals up soon.

Hi,

I've never had an issue with those visual looks but I would suspect more of a bacterial or viral issue. I seriously doubt calcium levels or a T5 bulb change causing this. I've been changing T5 bulbs for over 13 years and have never seen this type of phenomena.
Ed:

Great to hear you like the icons. i am setting up a new 24" cube and am going to use a compact icon. Post some pics of your corals when you get a chance. Maybe I will try to get up to your place sometime this season.

Best,

Greg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back