Big tank & Cool fish .VS. Small tank & Cool coral?

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering investing in a large tank, so I can get fish I have always dreamed of having.

However, right now, I have small tank that I have bought quite a lot of coral for.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the fish in my 29g, but the tank is just so small for the fish I really want.

—-

I’m looking into getting a full setup (dry of course), with the sump already plumed so I don’t have to do anything.

What’s the best size? I love tangs probably the most, but also angles.

This tank might be a FOWLR for a while, just because I want to focus on cool fish rather than cool coral.

I will keep my 29g for my main coral tank though.

—-

Thoughts?

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If tangs and angels are what you want and space is available go with an 8’ long tank. Keep the old tank for the LPS and soft corals that the angels will eat.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If tangs and angels are what you want and space is available go with an 8’ long tank. Keep the old tank for the LPS and soft corals that the angels will eat.
Oh god, an 8 FOOTer!? That thing would be massive and expensive. :eek: ;Bucktooth ;Greedy

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 7' long tank with many tangs. I really wish I had 1 more foot. I am seriously thinking of going from 220 to 450 to accommodate even more tangs and other fish. My wife also has a 90G so we can have other fish that don't go well with corals. We are going down to LFS to look at AIO cube for 2 fish that won't work in in the other 2 main tanks, We also have a 20g QT tank, 10G hospital tank and a 40G Frag tank.... Once you start thinking about multiple tanks it gets addictive ....LOL

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say go as big as you can. For tangs, a 4 footer will work for some, but, for the tangs I wanted, I needed at least a 6 ft tank. Even better would be a 8 ft tank, but the cost definitely goes up.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say go as big as you can. For tangs, a 4 footer will work for some, but, for the tangs I wanted, I needed at least a 6 ft tank. Even better would be a 8 ft tank, but the cost definitely goes up.
I have a 7' long tank with many tangs. I really wish I had 1 more foot. I am seriously thinking of going from 220 to 450 to accommodate even more tangs and other fish. My wife also has a 90G so we can have other fish that don't go well with corals. We are going down to LFS to look at AIO cube for 2 fish that won't work in in the other 2 main tanks, We also have a 20g QT tank, 10G hospital tank and a 40G Frag tank.... Once you start thinking about multiple tanks it gets addictive ....LOL
Ok! Not sure if le parents would be OK with a 8 foot giant. ;Facepalm o_O

I might do some looking around for a 6ft and a 8ft. The cost will definitely go up for a 8 footer, but I will try my very best.

—-

Any advice for a guy who’s kept nanos his whole life, and is looking to buy a giant?

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a 7' thinking it would be more than big enough but I now know it isn't I'm 70 years old and getting ready to buy a 8' X 3' X 30" tall 450 gal. it will likely be my last tank but then we have 4 other tanks in the house so I understand the cost and work involved but it is what keeps me and my wife happy.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a 7' thinking it would be more than big enough but I now know it isn't I'm 70 years old and getting ready to buy a 8' X 3' X 30" tall 450 gal. it will likely be my last tank but then we have 4 other tanks in the house so I understand the cost and work involved but it is what keeps me and my wife happy.
After looking on Craigslist and Facebook market, there’s no possible way I would be able to do a 8ft. Not sure about a 6ft, but just skimming the prices, it’s insane.

Also the space in an issue - I don’t know where I would be able to put this monster tank!!

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking on Craigslist and Facebook market, there’s no possible way I would be able to do a 8ft. Not sure about a 6ft, but just skimming the prices, it’s insane.

Also the space in an issue - I don’t know where I would be able to put this monster tank!!

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be more realistic if I got a 6ft. I know the 8ft would provide me with more room, but those things are absolutely MASSIVE.

If I lived in a house by myself, it would be no question. But I’m still living with my parents and I would be taking up their space in the living room. (The living room floor is concrete by the way, and would be able to support the tank)

—-

I did find a custom acrylic 260g for like $1,800, but that’s wayyy out or my budget.

—-

Which would be better to look for: Acrylic or glass?

Acrylic weighs less and is more durable, but I hear glass is more transparent and cleans easier?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a 29g, then I added a 90g. Somewhere along the line I acquired a 10g, a 20 long and a 50g tub.
Now I have a running 40 breeder and there’s very few fish (that I like) that are suitable for that size. Sooo…I did a thing and bought a used 180g. Now I can house all the fish I want :cool: :D

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3AE1712E-A6F8-430F-AED0-6A2FB7840306.jpeg

I vote ‘Big Cool Pet Fish.’ Have great filtration. :)

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go fowlr you’d be able to save lots of money on lighting. Honestly unless you find a good deal on used you’ll probably looking at 5k+ for everything. Plus the monthly cost of running a tank this size.

My dream tank is 8’x3’x30” but might be convinced to go 10’ if the room allows but 8’ is the bare minimum for me. Wife is on board to so one day it will happen. Mixed reef with big tangs and maybe some butterflies. But I’m in love with corals and the wife loves the fish so it will be a little bit of both.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back